shape
carat
color
clarity

how does IGI compare to GIA???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

truong81

Rough_Rock
which company has a better more strict grading scale?

i was at shaws today looking at rings with my girlfriend (who is getting engaged soon) the sales girl said IGI is better than GIA????

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
GIA or AGS are more highly regarded, partially because they tend to be strict, partially because they are the biggest names in the industry.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t buy IGI without running the diamond''s specs through the HCA (you''ll need the specs, then click cut adviser under tools on pricescopes menu or just look it up on google), running the same specs through GIA''s facetware (search on google), and then seeing the stone in person compared side by side with a GIA or AGS stone to confirm color. But that''s just me.

TonyT

Rough_Rock
Hi truong81,

from 2004:
http://grading.pricescope.com/
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/labs.asp

-Tony

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Poorly.

Wink

P.S. This is my top of mind reply to the title of the thread.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
IGI is actually the world's largest.
EGL is also vast.
GIA is global, but more elite diamonds are sent there.
AGS' presence is largely in North America and they grade a fraction of the diamonds the others do.

Think of grading labs like universities.
emotion-15.gif
IGI and EGL are like large statewide universities. GIA is like an Ivy League school and AGS is like the MIT advanced rocket-science program. As a manufacturer I will send each diamond (student) to the place he or she will have most success. The average to good ones -most- go off to the large universities (IGI/EGL). The fewer, more elite ones with the ability to score high or with a specialty are sent to the Ivy League (GIA). A few I know to be worthy of passing the rigors of rocket-science -these will be sold to NASA- will go to MIT (AGS).

A few at the bottom of the pile go to city college (Joe's Bar & Grading Lab).

The above is meant as humor, but there is a parallel logic: The path a diamond takes from cutter to lab to seller is chosen on-purpose based on a number of factors which include the target market and knowing how well (or not) a diamond will score at one lab vs the next.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldnt buy an igi graded diamond period.
The quality of the grading sux.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2007 7:14:08 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
IGI is actually the world''s largest.
EGL is also vast.
GIA is global, but more elite diamonds are sent there.
AGS'' presence is largely in North America and they grade a fraction of the diamonds the others do.

Think of grading labs like universities.
emotion-15.gif
IGI and EGL are like large statewide universities. GIA is like an Ivy League school and AGS is like the MIT advanced rocket-science program. As a manufacturer I will send each diamond (student) to the place he or she will have most success. The average to good ones -most- go off to the large universities (IGI/EGL). The fewer, more elite ones with the ability to score high or with a specialty are sent to the Ivy League (GIA). A few I know to be worthy of passing the rigors of rocket-science -these will be sold to NASA- will go to MIT (AGS).

A few at the bottom of the pile go to city college (Joe''s Bar & Grading Lab).

The above is meant as humor, but there is a parallel logic: The path a diamond takes from cutter to lab to seller is chosen on-purpose based on a number of factors which include the target market and knowing how well (or not) a diamond will score at one lab vs the next.
Probably couldn''t have gotten into Harvard even back in 1974. I''m happy to be a GIA grad and a USF (south Florida) alumni
2.gif

Jeff Averbook, G.G. Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2007 8:46:41 PM
Author: strmrdr
I wouldnt buy an igi graded diamond period.
The quality of the grading sux.
I can not speak for stones graded in USA by IGI, but I see many from India, where there largest labs are.

I find them to be more consistent than GIA, which is probably a refelction of the quality of staff one can employ, and how important their job is to them in India compared to USA. Sitting in a semi darkened room all day peering down a microscope is not everyones idea of a fun job.

Relevant to this enquiry - the market prices IGI certed stones about 7% or so lower than GIA graded diamonds, and has a perception that they are a little softer on color grading. A 3ct D iF is probably not going to be sent to IGI if the dealer can sell it for more with the same grade from GIA. etc etc

So John''s analogy would show up in fess etc for each lab.

But IGI are very retailer friendly and offer to do things like call a diamond by its trade name instead of stoopid names like modified square brilliant cut (=princess cut in everyone elses jargon).

mikebzt

Rough_Rock
Johns analogy is funny but on point.
AGS and GIA are tops.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An interesting self fulfilling prophecy happens with IGI, HRD and similar labs that are better regarded overseas than they are here. A correctly graded IGI stone in the US will still trade at a discount here so the dealers will either sell that stone overseas or send the stone to someone else (like GIA or AGS) where they don’t bear the burden of a bad pedigree. Only the ones that are bad enough that they offset the trading discount make through the market chain thus reinforcing the need for the discount. This is a distinct burden for labs like EGL-USA that are trying to prove the market dynamic is wrong headed while other labs with similar acronyms can profit from it by getting worse and worse in their repeatability.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results