shape
carat
color
clarity

How does clarity and durability information work

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As was mentioned feathers running with the girdle are not desirable.

As the clarity plot only shows the clarity markings which gave the diamond that grade what about the other inclusions.

e.g. what if one got a VS1 diamond but not shown on the clarity plot there are on the stone vvs1 feathers running with the girdle

and

e.g. what if one got a SI1 diamond but not shown on the plot there are on the stone a say vs1 or vs2 feather running with the girdle

As the plot is only marking clarity how does durability information work.

I know that there are appraisers but what if it is a say 40 point or under half a carat diamond and to pay for an appraisal may be too expensive given the cost of the stone, however the stone did cost a fair amount of money and the consumer does not want their diamond to receive damage. I know there is also insurance but that is money going out of the consumers pocket again.

Just how does this all work when relating clarity with information provided on durability.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Her is a good analogy:

What if I went swimming in the sea and a shark bit my leg off?

another:

I will not drive on the road because my daughters sisters freind got killed by a drunk driver.

Why are you interested in this sort of stuff? I have sold millions of diamonds in 26 years, and the number thaat break is far less than the irrational fear you have of it occuring.
Diamonds break rarely. There is little, or maybe even negative correlation, between clarity and durability. You caan not hope to predict from any data you could obtain which diamond is more likely to break.
I believe a pefect crystal actually has the most probabilty since the natural cleavage is better.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/28/2002 8:44:18 AM

As was mentioned feathers running with the girdle are not desirable.

As the clarity plot only shows the clarity markings which gave the diamond that grade what about the other inclusions.

e.g. what if one got a VS1 diamond but not shown on the clarity plot there are on the stone vvs1 feathers running with the girdle

and

e.g. what if one got a SI1 diamond but not shown on the plot there are on the stone a say vs1 or vs2 feather running with the girdle

As the plot is only marking clarity how does durability information work.

I know that there are appraisers but what if it is a say 40 point or under half a carat diamond and to pay for an appraisal may be too expensive given the cost of the stone, however the stone did cost a fair amount of money and the consumer does not want their diamond to receive damage. I know there is also insurance but that is money going out of the consumers pocket again.

Just how does this all work when relating clarity with information provided on durability.
----------------

Cut Nut: Why are you interested in this sort of stuff? I have sold millions of diamonds in 26 years, and the number thaat break is far less than the irrational fear you have of it occuring.

I am interested because I have been told and read that feathers in a diamond are likened to cracks and with time they may cause the diamond to break

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results