shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you talk about your colored stones?

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
I recently received a spinel ring in a very nice setting. Many people have commented on it and asked what the stone is. When I say spinel, people seem confused and ask what that is. So to the colored stone aficionados here, how do you explain your less common colored stones?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I typically say that it's a rare stone that's similar to sapphire, and leave it at that unless they start asking questions, which is rare.

People will sometimes ask about other stones, like tsavorite and ask if it's an emerald, and then I mention it's a garnet, and that always prompts "I didn't know garnets could be green." "Yup, garnets come in many colors, they are just less well known."

I figure keeping things simple and basic is the way to go, and relating them to stones they might already know of. If they seem interested, I go further in depth.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get a lot of nice comments when I wear my spinels and people always ask me if they are sapphires or rubies. For me- it depends on the person. If they are very interested they ask questions regarding color, cost, location and where they can obtain one and I am happy to answer those questions. With my sapphire ring people tend just to ask where I obtained the ring, and for my other stones I usually give a short answer.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I usually say that it is like the Black Prince's Ruby, which is not a ruby at all but a spinel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results