shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you store your collection of pearl jewellery?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

Can you pls share how you have been storing your pearl jewellery?

I know some basics like not hanging them (stretches the string), keeping them away from chemicals, etc, but I am really curious to see how you keep them at home... Especially as the necklaces start increasing in number... How about your earrings and other items?

I'll start with my recent acquisition, a jewellery case with a glass cover:

Don't think I will be able to keep them so neat - will be honest and admit that I arranged the strands for a photo. :bigsmile:

So how do you keep yours and do you have any storage tips to share?

_9494.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I keep mine in the original boxes and my CC necklace in its beautiful silk pouch. I like your jewelry case with the glass, as it would make it much easier to locate your pieces. Haha, it is not very efficient to have to go opening boxes to find the piece you want to wear :geek:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing fancy-silk bags or original boxes but I LOVE this!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Some in their original silk bags.

Some in large shells in the bathroom (not hanging). They look pretty in the overhead light from the skylight and I figure the humidity is good for the pearls.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LitGeek, Mrs T and Begonia. Any pics pls? ::)

I don't store my pearls in their original bags or boxes cos I won't be able to find them if I do that. Plus I need to see all of them at once to pick one most appropriate for my selected outfit. And also I can forget that I have some pieces until I stumble across them again and I have done that to some accessories that I used to keep in pouches... :rolleyes:

Just found this glass case and am wondering if I should get more, or are there better alternatives? I like that this will help with dust problems that I was worried about. Oh and they are stackable too.

Found some fancy built in displays... :love:
Told hubby that I NEED such displays in our next place. :lol:

_9505.jpg

_9506.jpg

_9507.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I love multi strand jewelry rolls, and the original velvet lined storage boxes, locked up securely at the bank or a safe bolted to the floor. Love Liberty safe, your pearls won't burn up in a fire either. http://www.libertysafe.com/products-liberty-safes-pt-1.html

That built in looks sweet until your home is broken into and they clean you out. Nothing like making it easy for thieves to snatch and grab. Just my opinion of course. If you read other forums this happens more often than you would think.

drawers.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover -- you hit the nail on the head regarding my fears!

I appreciate the link.

Question: If the safe prevents the pearls from burning -- does that mean it's airtight? If it's airtight -- isn't that bad for pearls since they need to "breathe"?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo said:
Icy_jade -- those built-ins would be heavenly!

This is how I stored my pearls during my 5 weeks away from home. In a large take-out container! I'd unzip the ziplock bags and leave the top ajar so air could get to them:

And mother-of-pearl containers I bought in Seoul (my favorite, they're like jewelry in and of themselves!):

@Bsomlo: I know, right? :love:

I read that plastic bags are bad for pearls? So perhaps the cloth/Chinese pouches are better?

And seeing those mop containers brought back fond memories of my trip to Seoul. Yummy food and wonderful shopping!
Thanks for pictures! Enjoyed seeing your collection in the open containers! :naughty:

NacreLover|1377973956|3512956 said:
I love multi strand jewelry rolls, and the original velvet lined storage boxes, locked up securely at the bank or a safe bolted to the floor. Love Liberty safe, your pearls won't burn up in a fire either. http://www.libertysafe.com/products-liberty-safes-pt-1.html

That built in looks sweet until your home is broken into and they clean you out. Nothing like making it easy for thieves to snatch and grab. Just my opinion of course. If you read other forums this happens more often than you would think.

@NL: new perspective! Didn't think of that cos crime rate is relatively low in my country. I have a home alarm system and almost everyone thinks I am being paranoid cos crime rate is so low.
http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2012/120814_mid_year_crime_brief_statistics.htm
(Included this for a fun read. We have no major disasters and few violent crimes, so a spate of housebreaking can make front page news in the main local paper. I've been told it feels quite unreal and artificial (like living in a bubble) from many of my colleagues/friends who came from other countries).

But I do love the idea of a fire resistant safe. Thanks for sharing that.

What do multi strand jewellery rolls look like? Do you have pics that you can share?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IcyJade, I can't get into the RioGrande website since they are working on it, but mine looks similar to this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Roll-Up-20-Snaps-Travel-Display-FindingKing-/231029689664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ca714d40#ht_619wt_1255

The strands are safe and don't stretch or scratch each other.

As for the safe, many have alarms here, but by the time the police come the items are gone, especially since most have such great organizers or hide jewelry in easy to find places like bedrooms. By the time you appraise jewelry and pay for additional riders on insurance policies, your safe would be much cheaper , safer and you can put important papers and one of a kind photos or guns inside too.

PS, This is a open forum which anyone can view. Great place for people to see just how much you keep around the house, huh?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I was using plastic bags when I first started buying pearls. They came from vendors to the jewelry store I worked at in these bags. After reading this, I quit.
http://www.cpaa.org/pearls_care.asp

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That site also says not to use safe deposit boxes:

Never store your Pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for a long time. Your Pearls need a little moisture like your skin so that they will not dry out.

A conundrum.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Did you notice? "for a long time"? They are worried about lack of moisture and the pearls drying out. I live in the deep south , lack of moisture is not a problem here in safes or at the bank. I have to squeegee the outside of my windows to see out half the year.

People who store opals keep a small dish of water in the safe to keep them hydrated, if lack of moisture is a problem, this may be a answer. Items rust in safes in my area.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1377976424|3512973 said:
PS, This is a open forum which anyone can view. Great place for people to see just how much you keep around the house, huh?

I kept a renovation blog for the longest time during/after my reno so I am kinda used to the idea of people "seeing" my house. :lol:

But yes if security is a concern pls do share vendor pics or links to vendor sites instead. I meant for the thread to share storage ideas after all. Or even empty container pics are fine. ;-)

P.s. if anyone is interested/curious, some pics on my Pinterest board:
http://pinterest.com/amodularlife/my-current-home/

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Like this, lol

But after seeing these pics it feels inadequate.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty Jenncent and I think this is one of the recommended ways. But how do you remember which bag has which pearls? :confused:

P.s I really like this pic btw. :love:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1378015380|3513177 said:
Very pretty Jenncent and I think this is one of the recommended ways. But how do you remember which bag has which pearls? :confused:

Mine are stored the same way (with the same bags!) and they are all a wee bit different. Even though I have like 18 of those bags I intentionally choose which pieces go in which. So my fireball/triple necklace/bracelet goes in 4 bags. All bags are pink, though they are different patterns. Ditto to my ripples...they're so unique and I only have one black bag and one peach bag so they're in there. I have two yellows so that is my hedgie set, necklace in one, bracelet in another. Etc. etc. etc. It's not foolproof, but it does help!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Okie so to summarise what we have so far...

1. In their original boxes
2. In pouches (especially the pretty CC ones) ;))
3. In multi-strand roll inside a fire resistant safe
4. In glass case
4. In open tray (what I used to do)

And depending on where you are located, perhaps a glass of water along with the pearls.
Any other ways/suggestions? How about earrings and bracelets?

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I store my earrings in their boxes too. I don't have any pearl bracelets yet...

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
YET.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, yes, Pattye will be helping me with that next month :naughty: I am always planning ahead for my next pearl project :geek:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
mrs taylor|1378051819|3513270 said:

Hahaha. You are quick! Btw what is your new avatar pic? :geek:

LitGeek said:
Haha, yes, Pattye will be helping me with that next month :naughty: I am always planning ahead for my next pearl project :geek:

Umm. I am more of an impulsive buyer. :nono: (mentally resists urge again)

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Icy Jade-that is my rainbow ripple necklace which I my daughter calls my mermaid necklace. :)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
mrs taylor|1378133523|3513527 said:
Icy Jade-that is my rainbow ripple necklace which I my daughter calls my mermaid necklace. :)

Ah yes. I thought that maybe you got one of CC's new strands and haven't shared your joy yet. :lol:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have the organza-looking bags (they are actually polyester) with ribbon drawstring. I find them easier to locate my pearls because they are see-through. I stored color FW in pink or lavender bags, the rest in white bags for easier selection in the morning. I am now storing most of my necklaces in velvety jewelry roll similar to what NacreLover posted. Earrings, bracelets and some necklaces go in plastic snap boxes with compartments. These are organizer boxes. You can find similar ones that men use for baits and tackles. I bought mine at a local hardware store. The compartments are adjustable where you remove a divider to make a larger one. Similar to these http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWORGDISPSTORAGE . Everything goes inside the safe. I put a moist sponge in there every once in a while.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1378142618|3513588 said:
I used to have the organza-looking bags (they are actually polyester) with ribbon drawstring. I find them easier to locate my pearls because they are see-through. I stored color FW in pink or lavender bags, the rest in white bags for easier selection in the morning. I am now storing most of my necklaces in velvety jewelry roll similar to what NacreLover posted. Earrings, bracelets and some necklaces go in plastic snap boxes with compartments. These are organizer boxes. You can find similar ones that men use for baits and tackles. I bought mine at a local hardware store. The compartments are adjustable where you remove a divider to make a larger one. Similar to these http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWORGDISPSTORAGE . Everything goes inside the safe. I put a moist sponge in there every once in a while.

Thanks for sharing! I wonder where I can get a jewellery roll in my part of the world? Looks very useful, and 2 pearl queens have them so its a cant go wrong item!

I am thinking to get this for my bangles (non-pearl ones):

And I got a few of these for my earrings:

And for studs: (right)

_9600.jpg

_9601.jpg

_9602.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
And a vendor pic of my glass case:

And couldn't resist picking up one:

(This is fairly big/real life size so will be used for bad neck days) :lol:

_9603.jpg

_9604.jpg

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade

hehe, thank you. I try to keep pinks in pink bags, purple in purple etc. All my ripples on one side, and others on the other... But even with that, I sometimes have to look in a few bags, lol, First world problems.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
jenncent|1378352748|3514797 said:

hehe, thank you. I try to keep pinks in pink bags, purple in purple etc. All my ripples on one side, and others on the other... But even with that, I sometimes have to look in a few bags, lol, First world problems.

First world problems indeed! I am usually so rushed in the morning, having to search thru bags will drive me nuts. :lol:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Icyjade, Jewelry rolls are available on ebay.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I know, but shipping costs adds another 50% to the cost... So I will look locally first. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results