shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you sort laundry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I also do what''s called the "NIKE" load. ie: all the dark workout wear that should be thrown in with rough and tumble jeans, etc. Plus any dark fleece goes in there too, so no fuzzies get on it.

LS

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 6:57:11 PM
Author: princesss
Dirty -------------------------- Clean
LOL
9.gif
Hilarious Princess!

I wash the whites in hot, darks in warm and special in accordingly. Sheets and towels in hot w/a tiny bit of bleach.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Clothes:
- dark
- light
- red/orange
- delicates

Other:
- sheets
- towels

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three small children and do several loads a week so I really don''t sort. It is either on the floor, in the washer or in the basket!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Underwear, socks, undershirts, and towels go into the hot water.
Dark colors go into the cold.
Then I have a pile of "whatever works" clothes that are neutrals, gray stuff, colored clothes that have been washed 1000 times already and won''t run in hot water. They just go into whatever pile has the least stuff in it so I can run nice full loads.

Sheets get washed in hot or warm water.

I have to admit that I''ve never heard of someone seperating colors that way. Interesting concept. I don''t think its overkill though.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 5:23:58 PM
Author: oobiecoo
So pretty much no one washes towls all by themselves other than fiery? Don''t you get fuzzies all over your clothes?

fiery- you are dedicated!!!!
I wash towels and sheets separately, and in hot water, always. As for sorting, well, I find you can be pretty lenient if you have a front load washer, it''s more gentle on clothes. But I will tend to do all jeans in one load, all whites separately, then a mish-mash of everything else basically. DD1 and DD2 are in charge of their own laundry. I gave up!!
41.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha, what a funny topic.

I do my own clothes, and Fi usually does the "house" stuff, ie. towels.

so:
socks and knickers
normal clothes light
normal clothes dark
uniform/work clothes
handwash delicates/wools

I usually have a bunch of stuff that needs handwashing, so that takes up most of my time...

urgh, washing..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2009 4:26:26 PM
Author: Tuckins1
Sort?
33.gif
41.gif
LOL!

I sort by knits, fuzzies, cotton, lights, darks and what I want to wear tomorrow.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 8:41:58 PM
Author: musey
I separate into:

Blue/Green/Light Grey

Red/Orange/Yellow

Black/Dark Grey

Whites/Ivories

Towels

Delicates

Brown is a swing color that can go into the Blue/etc. cycle or the Red/etc. cycle. I almost always wash in cold water as it saves energy.
That''s pretty much exactly how I do it too, except I tend to have a lot of brown that goes in with the red/orange pile.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing to make you stringy about loads like having to pay $3.35 for each washer and each dryer cycle.
32.gif
When I can afford it I do whites separately and the rest together. When I can't I do everything together. And then there are the times I really just can't afford to do it period, but I don't like to discuss that.

When I go home and have the luxury of free laundry I sort whites, colors, and darks.

I do whites, lights, darks, "stuff that may bleed", and then delicates (bras... my washer is AWESOME for this!) haha. I do laundry, A LOT. I can get most stains out.
16.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Clothes (cold)
Sheets & towels (hot)

I forgot to mention that I wash towels, wash cloths, and uh.. I''m tired.. the dry sheets for dishes.. LOL in HOT HOT water. Sometimes twice. It gags me not to.. ick ick ick... ok.. off to bed now.
emotion-20.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Stuff inside or lying on the floor nearby the laundry basket is for washing. Stuff draped over the chair next to the basket is for dry cleaning. I''m afraid that''s as sorted as it gets for me. Theoretically, DH and I do our own laundry, so there are two baskets. Since I''d never be able to get dressed and leave the house by that method, he does most of it, and I''ve noticed he''s using the spare basket for stuff that needs a delicate wash, knitwear and so on. Possibly because we''ve fallen out more than once over his habit of boiling cashmere?

Does anyone else wash baby clothes separately? DH is convinced they can''t go in a wash with our stuff, for some reason.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
So it looks like people have a million different ways to sort things... guess I''m not too strange then!
3.gif

Another quetion... on a front load washer, can you open it up during the cycle to add or remove items? It seems like you can''t but I wanted to ask.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 6:57:11 PM
Author: princesss
Dirty -------------------------- Clean
9.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
We usually don''t sort much - one load of our clothes, one load of baby stuff. If we have a ton of laundry, we will sort our stuff into lights, darks, and sheets/towels.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
sort by whites and darks and towels....I always put dress shirts and dress sox and knits on delicate and then flat dry or hang dry...never put good dress clothes or expensive sheets in dryer...hang drying triples the life of a garment or sheets.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 4:28:50 PM
Author: Miranda
I do it the same way as you depending on what is in the baskets. Or sometimes for clothes darks, lights, and whites (so I can use my beloved bleach). Towels are sorted the same way.

Ditto. I love bleach!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I sort into 2 piles: stuff that WILL bleed and stuff that WON''T. That''s as far as I go! DH and I each wash our own clothes so if I sorted into more piles I''d be doing a bunch of tiny loads. That seems like a waste of time/money to me. Instead I do loads so big that it takes two cycles in the dryer to dry them. DH is sure I will break the machines!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do lights, whites (w/bleach), colors, kitchen towels (get their own load because I can''t deal with any potential pet hair) and doggie stuff (bedding, toys).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results