shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you respond to questions about your diamond''s size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
In general, how do you all answer questions about the size of your diamond(s)? Do you find it rude? Are you more apt to tell a close friend than a stranger? I''ve had at least 3 friends ask me about my ring (I think just because they wanted to know, not for comparisons), and I was so taken aback that I just answered the truth.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
So, how big is it?
3.gif

Actually, it's rude for someone to ask, IMO. Having said that, I love this board where people can not only ask size but every other detail about the stone including how much you paid for it!

Now, I think Miss Manners recommends answering rude questions by saying something like, "Oh, I've no idea...I would never ask such a thing." Or maybe you could just say something flip like, "Big enough, don't you agree?"

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Yes I do like Patty's response. I get asked that a lot (since I'm a student). I usually give an estimate like "it's bigger than a carat" and they we quickly go on to something else.

I do think it's rude when someone just asks what size is it. does it really matter?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I occasionally get asked about the size, and in general don't think the person asking has rude intentions, but is just curious as they admire it. Thus, I simply tell them.

However, if I thought the question was out of line or not with good intentions, I like Patty's answer.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above. If the person is generally just curious as to size and not looking to judge ( you can tell ) then I tell them. If on the other hand I can tell they are waiting to make off hand remarks I come back with an equally off hand response. For instance the girl who came up to me out of no where while shopping,,,grabbed my hand and said "Is that fake or what?"
6.gif
I was taken a back by her that I said, "NO, but your roots are!" Now, I would NEVER just say that to anyone but someone so stupid deserved it! LOL!
11.gif

All in all I am proud of my diamond and I will share info with anyone who cares to know,,,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I don't usually ask, but if I am really really curious, I'll venture on the wild side and ask. I usually use a very meek approach like, "Your ring is absolutely stunning! (or something like that) And I just have to ask,... What size is your/the center diamond?" If they tell me they tell me. If not, I completely understand.

But then again, I've only been curious enough to ask twice in the last year. And that's because of finding PS and becoming much more aware of diamond intricacies.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 2:07:00 PM lop wrote:

I occasionally get asked about the size, and in general don't think the person asking has rude intentions, but is just curious as they admire it. Thus, I simply tell them.
----------------

I think so too. It's really all the general public knows. Size & Sparkle.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind when asked about size, but I have also been asked how much it cost by total strangers.
6.gif
It is one thing to answer to a close friend, but if you don't know the person it is very akward. On the other hand, even with someone you know, if they are clueless about diamond quality and prices, even revealing the fair price you paid will leave their mouths hanging open. Now that's uncomfortable!!!

Diamondlil

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would never tell someone other than a good friend who had a good reason to ask (ie she was shopping for a stone) what we paid. I usually answer $$ questions on expensive items with a generalized flip answer like "a boatload" etc. Sometimes I even am sarcastically clever with my flip answers. They never ask for clarification.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of the best answers I have heard Women say when asked about their diamonds by rude people.

What size is it?

Bigger than a stickpin.

How much was it?

two bits

Is it fake?

It is as fake as your what’s in your bra.

The same person said all 3 answers.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My favorite answer is to the "how big is it" question (when I feel it's being asked for the wrong reasons) is still:

"How big is it? Oh, it's MUCH bigger than what I could have afforded in my earlier days as a HOOKER."
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

GUARANTEED to end the discussion on the spot!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could care less if people ask me how big it is, people ask all the time. Then again I am not one for etiquette of any type.
2.gif

It's usually curiousity, or confusion or ignorance on the size, no big deal. I always ask others how big it is too....but it's usually prefaced by 'Wow I love your ring!' then I ask the size. It's not about cattiness or mine is bigger but just plain curiousity. I hate wondering and then not asking and probably being way off later when I am thinking about it (e.g. if its big!).

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Being newly engaged - everyone at work has come by to see my ring. Only 1 person has asked the size. As a matter of fact she waited until the next day after she saw it - and mentioned that her son was looking for a ring. I don't know if it was true or not, but we were in my office and she did try to make it private so I didn't mind telling her.

It's funny to see how people react. My fiance is a little weirded out becuase it's bigger than most people's rings here. (not really just 1.5 ) but it's shiny and new. We work together so they go right to him and give him grief about being enagaged.

The people I really know - knew that we researched it for a while and tried to learn a lot about diamonds.

But even my MOM didn't ask how big it was yet. (she of course took pics though).

I think I'd just tell them if it was sincere interest. Since finding pricescope, I'm interested too! If they are creepy - I'd claim it's fake!!!
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I usually tell him and I don't mind. In fact, being a PS geek I usually have to stop myself from going into all the specs.
2.gif
I think most people don't have a frame of reference and if they're not engaged or married yet just want to know what 1 carat etc. means in real life for when they *are* able to get a ring. It's no different, in my mind, to asking, "What kind of car is that?" With costs I will balk a little, but if it's obvious that they're shopping themselves and just want another frame of reference I don't mind telling them. And *then* I have to stop myself from going into the pros and cons of Tiffany vs. a small B&M vs. Blue Nile vs. a Pricescope vendor vs...
naughty.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA Hest so true about not going into details. I am such a diamond nerd. When I got my new Regent I wanted to tell everyone how awesome of a cut it was and how it's the only square to have H&A. I have to really hold back, even my friends think I am insane.
9.gif
Hearts and what??????
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
LOL, I know what you mean having to hold back the details. My sister-in-law asked me for some information on diamonds since she is thinking about getting a bigger e-ring. I tried to talk slowly and an give her the basics, but even that blew her away. She definitely thinks I'm insane.
9.gif

Diamondlil

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's rude to ask about size. . . it would be much more rude if you met up with a friend and they clearly noticed your new eng. ring but purposely didn't mention it at all!

Michelle

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 4:23:06 PM diamondlil wrote:

LOL, I know what you mean having to hold back the details. My sister-in-law asked me for some information on diamonds since she is thinking about getting a bigger e-ring. I tried to talk slowly and an give her the basics, but even that blew her away. She definitely thinks I'm insane.
9.gif

Diamondlil
----------------

We aren't insane. Slightly tetched in the head. But most definitely not insane!
wink2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 4:33:24 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

I don't think it's rude to ask about size. . . it would be much more rude if you met up with a friend and they clearly noticed your new eng. ring but purposely didn't mention it at all!

Michelle----------------

It's called the little green monster. It happened to me with one relative. It's pretty ridiculous at this point. I think if they don't think about it then it doesn't exist.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I'm such a diamond nerd that I KNOW I'm going to try to point out my I1's inclusion to anyone who expresses interest in the stone! I showed the loose stone to my sister. She asked me how big it was which I didn't mind because she's my sister. But then I went into how it was such an ideal cut and I lost her. I said "It's an ideal cut." She said, "So it's not a round?"
5.gif

And I just heard that one of my in-laws got a 3.2 carat diamond. Of course I'm dying b/c I KNOW they overpaid for it, but for them half the deal is going to the big name jeweler and telling everyone where they got it.

Mara, do you tell people that yours is 1.23 carats but has the diameter of a 1.35?
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/6/2004 4:52:28 PM Patty wrote:

Mara, do you tell people that yours is 1.23 carats but has the diameter of a 1.35?
----------------
HAhahhahaa! Are you kidding me.....of course she does! That's our Mara, and we love her!
wink2.gif
9.gif
naughty.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If it were someone who has an interest in diamonds or jewelry asking, then no, I don't think it's rude. Sort of like a car freak asking another car freak about his engine compression, and that kind of thing.

If it's anyone else, yes, it's ill-mannered and gauche.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OF COURSE Patty!!!!

If they are a complete stranger, I just say 1.35c because they aren't going to know the difference and that is what it looks like. I would hate for someone to go into a store and say they want a 1.23c because they like the size of mine, and then they get it and think 'wow this looks smaller' (which it probably is anyway if they went to the maul!).
2.gif

But if I know them or if it's someone who knows about diamonds etc, I say it's a 1.23 with a spread of 1.35c. Like they know what that means. HAH!
1.gif

Or say if it's someone like my good ole bud ALJ...I say...well mine is bigger than yours, UP TOP.
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 6:21:40 PM Mara wrote:

OF COURSE Patty!!!!

If they are a complete stranger, I just say 1.35c because they aren't going to know the difference and that is what it looks like. I would hate for someone to go into a store and say they want a 1.23c because they like the size of mine, and then they get it and think 'wow this looks smaller' (which it probably is anyway if they went to the maul!).
9.gif
----------------

Funny, I almost suggested a poll to what your response would be. But, with all this poll nonsense, I thought the better of it. I guessed *right* BTW.
wink2.gif
9.gif

And to cause further trouble, Al's diamond *is* bigger than yours.
wink2.gif
9.gif
You'll never live that down. one point - sooooooo close ....yet soooo far.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but one could argue that my stone has carat weight in *all the right places*....HEE HEE. Waste not want not. HAH!
naughty.gif
11.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/6/2004 6:28:57 PM fire&ice wrote:

wink2.gif
9.gif

----------------

Ha....and yet Mara was gracious enough to tell me she thought I should get it anyway! That's a real friend.

Yeah....mine IS bigger than hers....! And yeah, more of my weight is in the bottom.......on my stone, and on ME! hehheee
loopy.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Since we're talking about asking the size..

Is it rude for the woman receiving the engagement ring to ask her man about the size of the diamond? After all, she probably wouldn't ask the price, nor where he bought it..

When people ask me how big my diamond is, I say "oh, not as big as it looks!..."
rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 7:13:08 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------

wink2.gif
9.gif

----------------

Ha....and yet Mara was gracious enough to tell me she thought I should get it anyway! That's a real friend.

Yeah....mine IS bigger than hers....! And yeah, more of my weight is in the bottom.......on my stone, and on ME! hehheee
loopy.gif

----------------

OH Gosh!!! Is this a commentary or what. My weight - no wait - my fighting weight is in my girdle! That said, my stone is deeper than most. Something I'm proud of.

Geez, o.k. 150 crunches to 250 crunches starting tommorrow.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
f&i, more of my weight is in my bottom too, both diamond and body-wise.
sad.gif
I can change that by buying a better diamond, but it's not quite so easy on my body!

Mara, good for you on telling people about your "spread!" I'm often guilty of giving too much information and I have to remind myself that not everyone is as facinated as I am by these minute details. Which is why I'm glad I found you all!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------

wink2.gif
9.gif
----------------

oh.......and actually, it's one point FOUR points bigger! 1.244

As in "almost" one AND A HALF!

hehehehehheeee

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
(sorry - just couldn't resist being a troublemaker. It's getting truer every day about pets and owners resembling one another, I guess.....I'm starting to take on Nicky traits!)

Yanno I love ya, Mara.....you guys are great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results