shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you really feel about bezels?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, as I'm deciding between a prong setting and bezel ring setting. I've had both before. Personally I prefer the feel of a bezel but like the look of a diamond better when in prongs.

I see lots of admiration for bezels on here but actually relatively few people seem to choose them for their "main" e-ring.

What do you personally prefer and why? Both aesthetics and practicality...

I don’t really like bezels. I have no idea why - I feel like they can look ‘heavy’ and crowd a stone. I only like bezel settings with halos, since it helps the bezel blend out a bit. I would much rather baby a ring or be more mindful of it and have prongs than a bezel. But I don’t mind the look on others - just on myself!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though I’m not a huge fan of bezels, I think they can be beautiful when they are done well. Just like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain, I too prefer them when used in conjunction with a halo.

I do own this bezeled ring and I’m always surprised by how much I love it. I think the detail work on & around the bezel make it more interesting and the side diamonds sure don’t hurt. :D

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually had my e-ring reset into a bezel setting from a prong setting a few years ago, and I wish it had been in a bezel from the beginning.

Have you seen the bezel settings from Sholdt? They definitely enhance the beauty of a great diamond!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I had this dilemma too. I love bezels because they are such low maintenance settings that protect the girdle of the diamond. I'm pretty rough and not very careful with my jewellery. I also like the added coverage the bezel gives but it can be overdone to look bulky.

I also love claw prongs. Something about it just highlights the diamond so well. And I especially like the double claw prongs. So with that I got a faux bezel with prongs lol.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the simplicity and minimal look of prongs.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezels! So comfy and easy to wear. In addition, they can enhance the size of the stone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took me years to come around to a bezel ring because they always looked too contemporary. What worked for me was to look at a lot of examples and then incorporate floral engraving to give it more of a vintage vibe.

I love a bezel for the carefree aspect of not having to worry about individual prongs. However I do love the aesthetic of delicate prongs holding a stone especially when viewing from the side.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I had this dilemma too. I love bezels because they are such low maintenance settings that protect the girdle of the diamond. I'm pretty rough and not very careful with my jewellery. I also like the added coverage the bezel gives but it can be overdone to look bulky.

I also love claw prongs. Something about it just highlights the diamond so well. And I especially like the double claw prongs. So with that I got a faux bezel with prongs lol.

This +1. I love my faux bezel!

Also, bezels (actual or faux) can enhance the facet pattern of your diamond but will also emphasize the tint.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love both, too. But I visually gravitate towards prongs, but prefer bezels for functionality. When I first selected a setting, I went with prongs first. It was a waste of money.

I’ve had claw prongs, a full bezel and semi bezel. I detested the feel of claw prongs, they just pulled little fuzzies and I was aware of them all the time. I had them rebuilt, it didn’t matter.

My semi bezel is about as low maintenance as a full bezel, although it protects the stone less.

I am about to get a sapphire ring with wide tab prongs, I’m curious to see how it feels versus my bezels. I plan to continue experimenting with tab prongs, but not for my everyday ring as I’m too sensitive to “feel” and can’t risk wasting more $$$

I am planning on resetting my current diamond that’s in a semi bezel (for appearance, not comfort), and while I’ve debated back and forth (more than I care to admit) I actually think I need to pick a bezel. I love thin bezels, and think they can look both modern or antique depending on the setting. Their comfort is so far superior it’s hard to compete. I also think my diamond looks BETTER in a bezel! For my OEC it shows off the facets more!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually had my e-ring reset into a bezel setting from a prong setting a few years ago, and I wish it had been in a bezel from the beginning.

Have you seen the bezel settings from Sholdt? They definitely enhance the beauty of a great diamond!

I had a Sholdt setting and I can attest - it was gorgeous and very comfortable! I just ended up being allergic to the white gold alloy it was made in!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love both! I wouldn’t set my engagement ring diamond in one. I prefer prongs for that. Anything other than that I love bezels. I haven’t found them to darken my stones..I have a baby M and a G baby heart diamond that are set in bezels. I also bezeled my smaller studs..They look just as bright as before setting.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone, this is super helpful! Lots of good points to consider.

For those who like bezels but wouldn't set their engagement ring in one, can I ask why?

I had a previous full bezel set e ring. I loved it but I never quite felt the (beautiful) OEC was set off to full advantage iyswim. Maybe half bezel is the way to go. I love the Sholdt but can't seem to get it in the UK!

Part of me wonders how much of an issue the safety aspect is. I have always (and would always) remove my ring for sleeping, showering, cooking, cleaning, DIY, gardening etc. But there's always dings and knocks in everyday life - door handles, drawers, scraping and bumping on things. How likely is a prong set diamond to be damaged through a lifetime of this kind of wear...?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love both but I like bezels with colored stones. I think a yellow gold bezel around a green stone like an emerald or a red stone looks so pretty. Also a yellow bezel on a yellow diamond enhances the color. I also like bezels on diamonds when they are vintage style or old cut. But for a big solitaire or a modern diamond I prefer prongs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love bezels but am picky about them. I need engraving or some other visual interest. A bezel ring is on my "to buy once I find the right stone" list

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone, this is super helpful! Lots of good points to consider.

For those who like bezels but wouldn't set their engagement ring in one, can I ask why?

I had a previous full bezel set e ring. I loved it but I never quite felt the (beautiful) OEC was set off to full advantage iyswim. Maybe half bezel is the way to go. I love the Sholdt but can't seem to get it in the UK!

Part of me wonders how much of an issue the safety aspect is. I have always (and would always) remove my ring for sleeping, showering, cooking, cleaning, DIY, gardening etc. But there's always dings and knocks in everyday life - door handles, drawers, scraping and bumping on things. How likely is a prong set diamond to be damaged through a lifetime of this kind of wear...?

My ering is a prong set emerald cut and I was very rough on it. I ended up getting a tiny chip on one corner (after 15+ years of wear). When I did a reset, I got the chip buffed out and went from single prong to double claw prongs. Haven't had a problem since. But you actually sound more careful with your rings so I wouldn't worry-you can go either way.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Bezels are practical and very easy to wear without worry and have a nice presence to them. I also enjoy the profile of a prong set Diamond, I like to have a visual of the sides.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
My ering is a prong set emerald cut and I was very rough on it. I ended up getting a tiny chip on one corner (after 15+ years of wear). When I did a reset, I got the chip buffed out and went from single prong to double claw prongs. Haven't had a problem since. But you actually sound more careful with your rings so I wouldn't worry-you can go either way.

That's very helpful to know @lulu_ma . Do you think the double prongs are more protective? I love the look so that would be a bonus.

This thread is very useful. I have realised I like the overall look of bezel jewellery (including rings), but when I'm wanting all the focus on the centre stone (and to see as much of it as possible), a prong set solitaire may do this better.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them
they feel safe
and i like seeing a lot of gold setting not just diamond
I only have a small one i wear on my pinky but if i had an ER i would go with this style

HGar

Shiny_Rock
I love bezels and semi bezels but I’m probably in the minority here as I don’t tend to like haloes, engraving or miligrain. I think I prefer clean lines which leads me to adoring bezels.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I love using bezels with colored stones. I prefer to use a partial bezel for diamonds, but only because I love the look of a diamond girdle.

I don't like any embellishment to the bezel. Just a nice burnished edge

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having lost the centre stone which was an Imperial jade from the ring my mum lent to me during one drunken work event back in the early 90s, I bezel set all the main stones for the rings, bracelets and a bangle that I commissioned except for one inexpensive small Spinel.

I would rather lose a bit of performance than to lose another stone.

DK :))

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a fan of bezels, faux bezels, and even prongs. I really make my decision based on the look and feel of the ring I'm going for. I haven't found that any of my bezels (which are all thin) diminish the stone and agree, that they can make a stone look a bit larger if that is something you are aiming for. That being said, if I were choosing a simple solitaire with nothing but the stone, I'd probably choose prongs.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree with @Lisa Loves Shiny that bezels are much harder for the average bench to pull off. My favorite bezel designer is Annette Tillander.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with @Lisa Loves Shiny that bezels are much harder for the average bench to pull off. My favorite bezel designer is Annette Tillander.

Wow I have never seen her work before - I love her flower petal bezels! Gorgeous!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite bezels is the one DK did for @rainydaze with her POH stone. I have adored it since I saw it, and plan to use it as inspo for when I get my own bezel setting. The flower engraving on the sides is freaking TDF!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
One of my favorite bezels is the one DK did for @rainydaze with her POH stone. I have adored it since I saw it, and plan to use it as inspo for when I get my own bezel setting. The flower engraving on the sides is freaking TDF!

What is POH?

I am hunting and can’t find her ring anywhere! would you mind linking to it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results