shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you pick an Alexandrite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I know from my limited study of the stone, that it''s getting more and more rare by the minute, and I''d really like to get one... before they are too hard to get!

Anyone know what a GOOD Alexandrite looks like? How do you pick one?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure that they are going to run out any day soon!

That said, they are expensive and expect to pay a LOT for a good one.

I saw a beautiful 4.5ct alex with great colour-change last month and it was £26k GBP. It was an EC and went from bright cranberry/raspberry red to a very distinct teal green/blue colour. It was one of the finest I had ever seen.

Best thing to do would be to contact some vendors and ask for their help in sourcing one - there are plenty of fakes out there.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a nice one on Wildfishgems, 4.52 ct priced at $8,500 per carat. Or, you can buy a new car or two.

Link

How about this 1.075 ct color change tourmaline? Link Very rare, but not priced that way.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Lucky Texan

I''ve been collecting Alexandrite for about 15 years now and the most important thing to look for is strength of colour change, followed by clarity. However, be very very careful as there are lots of synthetics on the market. If the colour change is remarkable and it''s not certified then you must question it. If it''s being marketed as "Russian Alexandrite" again, it''s almost certainly not. You may also find that the cut won''t be great on larger stones as they are normally cut to maximise size but compromise on the look!!!

I posted a picture of my latest Alex on another thread but here it is again (photographing alex is a tricky business and I can''t ever get the green to represent what I actually see in real life)! This one changes effortlessly and always looks like I''m wearing a different ring!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incandescent light:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 2ct Alex that''s a native cut - the culet is off centre:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can probably see it better in this picture. Although this has an "ok" colour change and is by no means top quality but the daytime colour of this is gorgeous.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is only 1.5ct but you can see the colour change in this one

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In natural daylight

pamplemousse

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds, those gemstones are gorgeous!
30.gif
I am really a sucker for color change, but still. Wow. Thanks for sharing.
35.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two of several places I got information before buying my little .32ct round Brazilian alexandrite.

khazargems.com

Palagems

The good ones are more expensive than diamonds. Mine was over double the cost of similar sized ideal diamonds at this size. However, I had read on some sites, and was told by my appraiser that "if you have never seen an alexandrite, you may be disappointed". I have to say after purchasing fine sapphire and tsavorites - I would agree with that sentiment. I love its uniqueness, its rarity, and its special interest, it color change, but to me it is not something that I think would catch most peoples eye over other colored gems. However, I am glad to have small, fine example of the gem.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I picked up this little Alexandrite pendant from Rick Martin at ArtCutGems. I see he has it posted here on PS. Link

It is an Indian stone with about a 60% color change. It does look a bit more purple by candlelight. As I said to Rick, it looks a bit like an emerald by day and an aquamarine by night....

AlexfromRM.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I''m allowed to post this (please remove if not) but David Weinberg over at www.multicolour.com has got to be one of the foremost authorities on Alexandrite and he has a number of loose Alexandrite for sale. He will always answer any questions you have honestly and without any pressure to sell. Two of my pieces have come from him and I''ve been exceptionally happy with them.

He''s also put together some great information at www.alexandrite.net/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results