shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you match side stones to a fluorescent center stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brideblush

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am interested in purchasing a beautiful 1.01 carat E-VS1 pear-shaped diamond with medium blue fluorescence. Although it is fluorescent, it is incredibly clear - we''ve looked at the diamond in several different types of light including sunlight. We have been searching extensively on a pear with no bow-tie or dark areas - finally found it, but am concerned about what color/clarity trilliants to go on the side. Our jeweler showed us E-SI1 .30 carats each which seemed yellowish next to the pear. I am in desperate need of advice of which color/clarity combination to go with in order to match the pear - I am hoping to make the purchase this coming weekend because our jeweler is three hours away! Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Brideblush,

In my opinion try to keep the sidestone diamonds
about the same color, E-F and you could be a little
more allowing with clarity, VS2-SI1.

.30ct for the sides does seem about right.

kirk

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
An E should not seem yellowish at all! Are you viewing these stones loose? If so were you wearing a yellow shirt? I imagine that picking out fine trilliants requires a trained eye. Maybe the one you were looking at we're cut all that great. Just a guess.

An E or F will look great regardless of whether or not it has some fluor.

brideblush

Rough_Rock
Rank Amateur,

Thanks for the input - I definitely was not wearing a yellow shirt - the trilliants were actually yellow. Now I'm beginning to think that they're not E color after all... We were viewing the stones loose. We didn't order the ring to be made because the trilliants did not match...

Brideblush

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Hi Brideblush!

Your in the right place to get advice
The pro's in this chatroom are helpful and nice
They'll tell the truth, they have nothing to lose...
And help you decide just what to choose!

Good luck in your search...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
An "E" color diamond is colorless, it shows no color at all. We're talking about the body color, the overall tone of color, not the "fire" exhibited by the diamond.

If you see body color, it's not an "E".

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi Bride,

I agree with Richard.
Definitely stick with E or F. You would prefer not to distract from the center stone.
Good luck with your search and all the best!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I agree w/ the others - an E stone should not have yellow body color. The stone w/ fluor may indeed look different - but the other E's should not exhibit yellow. Who graded the stones?

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Brideblush,

Did you happen to see the stones using "daylight bulbs" ? This is the only way to see its true color. But please don't forget, you would need to turn the stones upside down, onto a white 1/2 folded paper (business card would suffice) and hold it at a 45 degree angle to view the stone throgh its girdle.
Did the jeweler do this for you?

brideblush

Rough_Rock
The .30 trilliants are not certified. Our jeweler said that they were E color and SI1 clarity. In fact I pointed out the fact that the trilliants were not even the same color, the jeweler told me he could pick out some better matching stones, but he told us that these were perfectly matching trilliants to each other and to the pear before we looked at them.
I am concerned that the store has a no return policy - items can only be exchanged. The main reason that we are still working with this jeweler is that he has the only pear shaped diamond that we've seen (and we've searched three major cities
1.gif
that has no bow tie effect or dark areas whatsoever. It is a very brilliant diamond but very little fire. I hope that he shows us trilliants that are truly E in color that match each other and the pear. I'm less concerned that the clarity matches - but the color should definitely match...

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi Brideblush,

To further help you with your concerns, would you be knid enough to post the specs on the 1.01, specifically the LxW ?

Thank you,
Mauricio

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
G’Day Brideblush
I don’t think your problem is not the “medium fluorescents “ of your center stone.
If you place your side stones next to the center stone and they look yellow, its usually because they are yellow compared to your colorless E.

Side stones must match each other in size, color, and cut and to a lesser degree clarity, The matched pair must then be an exact color match to the center stone. Your jeweler must keep upgrading matching pairs until he gets an exact color match. Placed loose on white paper with the trillians up against the center stone it should almost look like one stone.
Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange (Australia)

brideblush

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your replies! I think you're right on target mdx - the trilliants are not of E color. Although our jeweller said that they were both E in color, I think he essentially was in a hurry when picking out pairs of trilliants from his wholesaler and did not bother to match the diamonds. We are going back to the store this weekend and he has assured me by phone that the color matches exactly to each other and the pear.
Last week I had thought that the medium blue fluoresence of the pear was causing the "E" colored trilliants to look yellow in comparison, but have now realized that it is likely that the trilliants were not a true E color. We are not concerned about the clarity matching - but the colors should definitely match!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results