color
clarity

How do you maintain your beauty?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you are rocking age 54 lovely lady! ;)2

Thank you @Niffler75!
And you are amazing. I know about Ehlers Danlos and you are handling it all amazingly well.

OK I deleted my previous post but will add it back. I got embarrassed by sharing (I know it seems hard to believe but I am shy) but decided I will share.

Thanks to this thread I am looking at photos over the decades. When I look at these photos I see major aging changes. I am not fighting it per se (because I do work out and eat healthfully so that is doing something) and I wholly and fully support all women who do whatever makes them feel good. More power to you re fillers and botox and hair dye etc. Maybe one day I will change my mind who knows. I mainly stay away from that stuff because my skin is super reactive and I don't want to rock the boat and another reason is none of the women in my family ever did any of those procedures so it's how I grew up.

But OMG looking at the photos and well yeah so many changes.
I agree with those who say keep a little weight on your body because it gets taken away from your face if you are too thin. I have definitely lost volume in my face. That is something I doubt I can get back though I am trying to gain some weight as I am underweight right now.

Sharing these real life not edited photos.

Preadolescent
Haha had to include a "young" photo.

misssypreadolescent.png

Teens

missyteen.jpg

Oscarandme.jpeg

Twenties

1985 in Italy. My parents flew over to join me as I had spent the entire summer between college and graduate school in Europe and they came to meet me at the end of my trip. Look how young my mom was here. Me too. Time flies.

missyandmomexchanginggiftsinitaly.png

missyandbuster.jpg.png

Thirties (had makeup on here...couldn't find a no makeup shot)

missythirties.png

Forties (not adding the best photos but adding the "real" me photos. Hard to find photos of me without my sunglasses.

missyforties.png

Fifties

missyfifties.png

Yesterday afternoon with my dorky glasses and after we walked in the rain so my hair is a wreck. But my most recent photo.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.18.32 AM.png

And lastly a photo from this past Spring where I had some makeup on and we were all dressed up going to a gala at the Museum of Natural History.

missyandgregalldressedupspring2019.png

And for comparison's sake a photo of us over 21 years ago.

missyandgregnewyearseve2000.jpeg

I am 54 and 6 months. Halfway to 109 years old woohoo. :lol:

And aging as its benefits for sure. I wouldn't want to turn back the clock and start again. I am happy where I am in life and I am content and at peace. Yes, my skin isn't youthful as it once was and I have lines on my face and my hair has thinned considerably and there is much gray. But I have a sense of perspective and joy that comes with age. I can say that I am happy exactly where I am in life right now. Despite all the external noise (and that is life) I have contentment and joy and would not trade this age for any other.

To me, the best way one can maintain one's "beauty" is by being content and satisfied with where one is in life while working towards whatever goals one has. And being kind to others. Trying to make the world a little better just by being in it. True beauty starts from within. I know it's cliche but some cliches have much truth.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to this thread I am looking at photos over the decades. When I look at these photos I see major aging changes. I am not fighting it per se (because I do work out and eat healthfully so that is doing something) and I wholly and fully support all women who do whatever makes them feel good. More power to you re fillers and botox and hair dye etc. Maybe one day I will change my mind who knows. I mainly stay away from that stuff because my skin is super reactive and I don't want to rock the boat and another reason is none of the women in my family ever did any of those procedures so it's how I grew up.

But OMG looking at the photos and well yeah so many changes.
I agree with those who say keep a little weight on your body because it gets taken away from your face if you are too thin. I have definitely lost volume in my face. That is something I doubt I can get back though I am trying to gain some weight as I am underweight right now.

Sharing these real life not edited photos.

Preadolescent
Haha had to include a "young" photo.

misssypreadolescent.png

Teens

missyteen.jpg

Oscarandme.jpeg

Twenties

missyandbuster.jpg.png

Thirties (had makeup on here...couldn't find a no makeup shot)

missythirties.png

Forties (not adding the best photos but adding the "real" me photos. Hard to find photos of me without my sunglasses.

missyforties.png

Fifties

missyfifties.png

Yesterday afternoon with my dorky glasses and after we walked in the rain so my hair is a wreck. But my most recent photo.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.18.32 AM.png

And lastly a photo from this past Spring where I had some makeup on and we were all dressed up going to a gala at the Museum of Natural History.

missyandgregalldressedupspring2019.png

I am 54 and 6 months. Halfway to 109 years old woohoo. :lol:

And aging as its benefits for sure. I wouldn't want to turn back the clock and start again. I am happy where I am in life and I am content and at peace. Yes, my skin isn't youthful as it once was and I have lines on my face and my hair has thinned considerably and there is much gray. But I have a sense of perspective and joy that comes with age. I can say that I am happy exactly where I am in life right now. Despite all the external noise (and that is life) I have contentment and joy and would not trade this age for any other.

To me, the best way one can maintain one's "beauty" is by being content and satisfied with where one is in life while working towards whatever goals one has. And being kind to others. Trying to make the world a little better just by being in it. True beauty starts from within. I know it's cliche but some cliches have much truth.

You're so beautiful inside and out, @missy!!!

Together with @doberman you're the proof that the 50ies are the new 20ies!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you @kipari. I agree being 50 today is different than when our grandparents and parents were 50. But I would say 50s is the new 30s lol. Twenties is going a bit too young. :lol:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your post with the photos each decade, Missy! You look naturally beautiful in all of them.

I think each age has advantages, disadvantages, things we love, things we hate, things we’d change at the drop of a hat and things we’re desperate to cling on to - as you say, it’s appreciating what you have right now that ultimately makes one happy, and that wider perspective can (sadly, for young impressionable girls in particular) take a few years to develop.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a mom of five girls I'd like to add that I'm concerned about the constant comparison. Worse now than ever before. It was already bad when I was young. One was supposed to compare oneself with the supermodels. Always implying that if one worked hard enough,one could get to this ideal somehow. Which was already quite damaging and not true. Those women were so well paid for a reason: They were the very small pool of genetically advantaged people who ALSO worked like heck to look like this. Nowadays everyone is constantly churning out pictures that are heavily edited, yet imply "I just woke up like this". I know how to read those stories, but I have gathered the impression that most young people don't.

Sorry for the threadjack!!
Because I do like makeup and skincare and I believe in face mists under extra virgin rosehip oil in the am, e v argan oil in the pm and lots of serums tailored to the needs of my skin at that moment:
Azelaic acid, vitamin c, peptides

@Gussie you look great!! I might muster up the courage to do something more drastic one day...

Yes! This! And these smart phones are such liars! They have all these filters already preset to the point that I don’t even know what a real pic of me looks like! I think these days people compare themselves to each other, not just models. The idea that we women feel proud bc we look younger than other women our age is part of this ageism! If we are going to really believe that age is just a number, then we need to stop associating 50 or 60 etc with negative characteristics!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's hard to see your body deteriorate and not compare it to your old body in its youth. Youth is beautiful, but so are many women of all ages.

Thank you! I would say that the 50s are the new 20s with arthritis and white hairs thrown in as a special treat.

@nala I never compared myself to any models - I was too short! Any guy who mentioned modeling was automatically thrown in the discard pile. Not a lot of calls for a 5ft 3in model. And I was aware that a lot of what you see in the fashion industry is carefully planned artifice. I've always been pretty satisfied with what I am, at any age, maybe because I see the only alternative to aging. Or perhaps because I was very close to my grandmothers and tend to relate well to older people. But I know that I never wanted to be the kind of older woman who viewed younger women as a threat, and I made that decision when I was young.

And I dont use any filters or editing on my photos, I've never learned how because I wasn't very interested. I am what I am. Though I will write on photos if I send them to WhatsApp. These photos are usually my animals.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's hard to see your body deteriorate and not compare it to your old body in its youth. Youth is beautiful, but so are many women of all ages.

Thank you! I would say that the 50s are the new 20s with arthritis and white hairs thrown in as a special treat.

@nala I never compared myself to any models - I was too short! Any guy who mentioned modeling was automatically thrown in the discard pile. Not a lot of calls for a 5ft 3in model. And I was aware that a lot of what you see in the fashion industry is carefully planned artifice. I've always been pretty satisfied with what I am, at any age, maybe because I see the only alternative to aging. Or perhaps because I was very close to my grandmothers and tend to relate well to older people. But I know that I never wanted to be the kind of older woman who viewed younger women as a threat, and I made that decision when I was young.

And I dont use any filters or editing on my photos, I've never learned how because I wasn't very interested. I am what I am. Though I will write on photos if I send them to WhatsApp. These photos are usually my animals.
The thing is, many phones are preset! I had no idea! It’s like even technology conspires again aging! The right lighting under the sun Does wonders to distort the reality. Lots of tricks that our phones know how to Adjust lighting to. And yes, it is challenging to kiss our youth goodbye, but that’s my point. The idea that so many posters think that beauty is interchangeable with youthfulness is cause for concern. What does it really mean to embrace aging? I think it starts in your mind and the language that we use. No. I’m not advocating that we all stop doing what it takes to make us feel beautiful, but rather, that we stop using expressions that define beauty as youthfulness. Stop bragging that we look younger than we are bc then the reality is that we don’t like the age we are! And why wouldn’t we be so grateful to have lived so long?!! Stop saying that we look younger than the average 40 or 50 or 60 year old bc than we derive our self esteem from putting other women down! Like. Wtf! We need to uplift each other! That is when true embracing of our age begins!

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kipari. I agree being 50 today is different than when our grandparents and parents were 50. But I would say 50s is the new 30s lol. Twenties is going a bit too young. :lol:

But what’s wrong with 50? That’s my point. It’s the language that we use. To embrace aging we should be celebrating 50!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is, many phones are preset! I had no idea! It’s like even technology conspires again aging! The right lighting under the sun Does wonders to distort the reality. Lots of tricks that our phones know how to Adjust lighting to. And yes, it is challenging to kiss our youth goodbye, but that’s my point. The idea that so many posters think that beauty is interchangeable with youthfulness is cause for concern. What does it really mean to embrace aging? I think it starts in your mind and the language that we use. No. I’m not advocating that we all stop doing what it takes to make us feel beautiful, but rather, that we stop using expressions that define beauty as youthfulness. Stop bragging that we look younger than we are bc then the reality is that we don’t like the age we are! And why wouldn’t we be so grateful to have lived so long?!! Stop saying that we look younger than the average 40 or 50 or 60 year old bc than we derive our self esteem from putting other women down! Like. Wtf! We need to uplift each other! That is when true embracing of our age begins!

I don't disagree and when I look in the mirror I don't think of myself as looking younger than my age, far from it. It's part of the reason I eschew plastic surgery. I'd rather be Charlotte Rampling than Heidi Montag.

I didnt know about the phone. I just found the filters button (after pressing a bunch of other things) and I've definitely never used it. I tend to use "Live focus" on the Galaxy S10 Plus since the colors seem more true to life, but I really dont know anything at all about cameras other than point and click.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm 59 - 60 in 4 months, so I am in HEAVY maintenance mode!!

Having been so ill last year, it's been an uphill battle to stay looking half way decent. So here's my normal routine:

Color hair
Regular pedicures and manicures
Color my eyelashes - tho I haven't done this for a few months and it needs to be done
Sunscreen on my hands
Skin care up the wazoo
Vitamins
Don't smoke
Drink very little
Trying to get more sleep and doing well on this
No sugar - sugar is brutal for my skin
I stay out of the sun in general
I do a little exercise every day - yoga, tai chi, cardio - one or a combination
Have positive relationships
Cuddle my dogs a lot
IP facials - tho I'm due for this and haven't had any for a while
And I drink water - around 100 ml a day

These photos are within the last 12 months - the second one taken only a few months ago. The last one - which shows three photos - was compiled in December. The photo on the left of that threesome was me in December at 59.5 years of age in the harshest lighting imaginable, but there you go. The one in the middle was me at 52, I think, and the one on the right was me at 46. I've lost weight as I've gotten older, for which I'm thankful! No filters on any of these and no makeup either. I'm pleased enough with the way I'm aging. Youth and beauty have passed, but good grooming is eternal. My best / luckiest feature is that I have naturally red lips. For a woman who shuns makeup pretty much 100%, this is a blessing!

image1.jpeg

21-10-2019-13-35-39.jpg

Dorian Koo.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm 59 - 60 in 4 months, so I am in HEAVY maintenance mode!!

Having been so ill last year, it's been an uphill battle to stay looking half way decent. So here's my normal routine:

Color hair
Regular pedicures and manicures
Color my eyelashes - tho I haven't done this for a few months and it needs to be done
Sunscreen on my hands
Skin care up the wazoo
Vitamins
Don't smoke
Drink very little
Trying to get more sleep and doing well on this
No sugar - sugar is brutal for my skin
I stay out of the sun in general
I do a little exercise every day - yoga, tai chi, cardio - one or a combination
Have positive relationships
Cuddle my dogs a lot
IP facials - tho I'm due for this and haven't had any for a while
And I drink water - around 100 ml a day

These photos are within the last 12 months - the second one taken only a few months ago. The last one - which shows three photos - was compiled in December. The photo on the left of that threesome was me in December at 59.5 years of age in the harshest lighting imaginable, but there you go. The one in the middle was me at 52, I think, and the one on the right was me at 46. I've lost weight as I've gotten older, for which I'm thankful! No filters on any of these and no makeup either. I'm pleased enough with the way I'm aging. Youth and beauty have passed, but good grooming is eternal. My best / luckiest feature is that I have naturally red lips. For a woman who shuns makeup pretty much 100%, this is a blessing!

image1.jpeg

21-10-2019-13-35-39.jpg

Dorian Koo.jpeg

Beautiful at all ages @mrs-b. Timeless elegance.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But what’s wrong with 50? That’s my point. It’s the language that we use. To embrace aging we should be celebrating 50!

I love being 50. As I wrote in my previous post I wouldn’t change my age for anything. I don’t want to go back to being 20, 30 or 40. Though I would love to see my grandma and others who are now gone. But to me this is the best age. The age I am at right this minute. ❤

@nala I was commenting on @kipari’s post about 50 being the new 20. And let’s face facts. Today’s 50 *is* different than our grandparents 50. It is. No good or bad connotations. Just stating a fact.

I think it is about feeling and looking our best (however we define it) at every age.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful at all ages @mrs-b. Timeless elegance.

Thank you, dear girl!

And I was looking at the photo of you in the white top, reclining on the chair, and wanted to post "SEX POT!" - then decided I didn't want to define you by your looks.

(...except I did)................

#sexpot

:mrgreen:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What I mean is that 50 y/olds in good health nowadays are blessed with the same quality of life that only 20 or 30y/old people had up to say, the 1930ies /40 ies.

Plus you have the state of mind and wisdom of 50 years . Win win

People tend to forget how dramatically our living conditions have changed in the last century. Medical progress, hygiene, automation of many tasks. And sunscreen!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I mean is that 50 y/olds in good health nowadays are blessed with the same quality of life that only 20 or 30y/old people had up to say, the 1930ies /40 ies.

Plus you have the state of mind and wisdom of 50 years . Win win

People tend to forget how dramatically our living conditions have changed in the last century. Medical progress, hygiene, automation of many tasks. And sunscreen!

Yes we are different in so many ways to the fifities of our grandparents. Mind, body and attitude. Not ageist at all IMO to state this fact.

And no apologies for wanting to look our very best (whatever that means to us) at every age.

Thank you, dear girl!

And I was looking at the photo of you in the white top, reclining on the chair, and wanted to post "SEX POT!" - then decided I didn't want to define you by your looks.

(...except I did)................

#sexpot

:mrgreen:

Haha thank you @mrs-b, you have made me blush. :oops:
And #burnthebra never wore it then and rarely wear it now. :o8)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!
(inside and out).

@Austina I wish I could remember who you remind me of...maybe an actress. My brain is a sieve I swear. Anyway you remind me of someone but I just cannot remember who. If it ever comes to me I will let you know.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bride of Frankenstein? :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I maintain my beauty not by creams
and treatments (more power to those that do I'm just lazy) but by surrounding myself with wonderful company, trying not to let negativity in and being a good person.

I am overweight but I am a better person than I used to be. Also lots of sleep and not sitting out in the sun probably helps a bit as well as a good sense of humor.

Here is me today, I will be 41 in eleven days! Oh and I am the one in the glasses!

IMG_5417.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You’re very pretty @StephanieLynn! You definitely don’t look anywhere near 41!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Mamabean you are too sweet! Unfortunately a lot of days I feel older than 41!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an interesting thread this has been, love reading everyones perspectives on aging, beauty and all those things. :wavey:

For myself, I'm just 'me'. I feel pretty comfortable in my own skin right now, although as a young person, perhaps not as much as I do today. As someone said above, 'age has its benefits', I wholeheartedly agree.

I haven't had any plastic surgery, or fillers--I've tried Botox, also have that 'one' wrinkle between my brows (yuk) but decided I didn't really want to go down that path, so I stopped. If I really needed plastic surgery for something significant, I definitely would get it. I also practice regular skin care with moisturizers, sun screen etc., always.

I like to wear (minimal) make up, but will easily run out for the day without it. I've gone through the highlighting phase, but I missed 'my' hair color. And now, at 61, I am getting grey--my hair is a reddish brunette with a copper highlight, now with some whites sprinkled in. I've decided to just let it turn on its own, as my father had gorgeous silver hair & I hope--if I am so blessed--to get the same eventually. I always have a pedicure. I didn't like what happened to my finger nail bed with the gel products, so I stopped doing that & just go natural, but always filed & neat.

I do exercise & always have, swimming my half mile a couple times of week & work out with a trainer another couple of times a week--she is my salvation. That, plus eating well, & getting adequate sleep is my recipe. Oh, & I will have a drink once in a while, when the mood hits!

Bravo to those of you brave enough to post your pic--I'm just a bit anxious about putting my full face online! So here's a pic of mostly Jack, & a bit of myself in the background. :))
IMG_3565 2.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results