shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you maintain your beauty?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No smoking, no drinking alcohol, lots of water, minimal sun exposure! My round face (that I hated when I was younger) helps, it makes me look youthful. People don’t believe me when they find out I am a 37 year old mother of five kids.

ETA: I wish I could get more sleep, as I think that is one of the most beneficial things anyone can do, but it doesn’t seem to happen these days.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No smoking, no drinking alcohol, lots of water, minimal sun exposure! My round face (that I hated when I was younger) helps, it makes me look youthful. People don’t believe me when they find out I am a 37 year old mother of five kids.

ETA: I wish I could get more sleep, as I think that is one of the most beneficial things anyone can do, but it doesn’t seem to happen these days.

No smoking and no alcohol - definitely! I hate smoke and dont enjoy the taste of alcohol so that part's easy for me. I have to remind myself to drink more often. And I hear you on the round face.

@Alex T I'm scared of juvederm, although yours looks great. I'd only have it done by a plastic surgeon. I'm afraid I'd end up lumpy. My uncle and cousins in Callifornia get this done and my mother calls them puffy. My face is round enough as is.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty good at maintaining my health.
My beauty is of no concern.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No smoking and no alcohol - definitely! I hate smoke and dont enjoy the taste of alcohol so that part's easy for me. I have to remind myself to drink more often. And I hear you on the round face.

@Alex T I'm scared of juvederm, although yours looks great. I'd only have it done by a plastic surgeon. I'm afraid I'd end up lumpy. My uncle and cousins in Callifornia get this done and my mother calls them puffy. My face is round enough as is.

I have a real issue with too much filler & know exactly what your mother is saying, though I call it Pillow Face. Courtney Cox, Nicole Kidman & Madonna have all looked like this at some point. Why? What is the need to inject it all over your face, in particular the cheekbone & eye areas? It's alarming! No, I'm happy with my lot & I'm done. I'd rather age gracefully (just not with deep nasal folds!) & keep up with good serums & moisturisers. I have also never smoked & don't drink very often.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the doctor's office right now waiting for my laser resurfacing treatment.

I am high maintenance! I refuse to go down without a fight! :lol-2:

We are related... now, I am sure of it. ;-)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I thought I looked good for 47, but @doberman, you look amazing!

I'm kinda vain about my looks, most people are shocked to know I'm a mom, and even more shocked that my kids are both high schoolers. Here are my "beauty" tips....

Regular dental cleaning, including teeth-whitening. I feel that a bright white smile is beautiful, hence I got braces at 43 to get that beautiful straight smile.

I work out 5-6 days a week and maintained a healthy diet with a good balance of all macros. I don't really eat fast food. I have maintained a size 4-6 (US) most of life, was never too thin or too heavy for my 5'7 height, so not much skin stretching, except for my 2 pregnancies where I gained 60lbs!!!!

I was blessed with thick hair, which I hated as a kid, but I can still wear it long and I don't need to color (I pluck out a couple grays here and there).

As for my skin, I have a whole routine including baby oil to remove makeup, neutrogena facial cleanser and Olay Regenerist at night. Occasionally I use dark spot removing regimens from Mary Kay or Rodan Fields.

Lastly, I have had my brows microbladed, it is just so convenient, because that is one part of my body that is lacking hair, and reduced my make regimen to just a dab of BB cream and lipstick,

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Botox every 5-6ish months.

Juvederm on lips every couple of years or so.

Brows microbladed - touched up annually.

Nails every 3-4 weeks.

Toes every 3 months (summer is every 4-6 weeks).

Root color touched up every 6 weeks religiously - highlights every 4-5 months.

Obagi Hydrate morning and night.

Never go to bed with makeup on.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I looked good for 47, but @doberman, you look amazing!

I'm kinda vain about my looks, most people are shocked to know I'm a mom, and even more shocked that my kids are both high schoolers. Here are my "beauty" tips....

Regular dental cleaning, including teeth-whitening. I feel that a bright white smile is beautiful, hence I got braces at 43 to get that beautiful straight smile.

I work out 5-6 days a week and maintained a healthy diet with a good balance of all macros. I don't really eat fast food. I have maintained a size 4-6 (US) most of life, was never too thin or too heavy for my 5'7 height, so not much skin stretching, except for my 2 pregnancies where I gained 60lbs!!!!

I was blessed with thick hair, which I hated as a kid, but I can still wear it long and I don't need to color (I pluck out a couple grays here and there).

As for my skin, I have a whole routine including baby oil to remove makeup, neutrogena facial cleanser and Olay Regenerist at night. Occasionally I use dark spot removing regimens from Mary Kay or Rodan Fields.

Lastly, I have had my brows microbladed, it is just so convenient, because that is one part of my body that is lacking hair, and reduced my make regimen to just a dab of BB cream and lipstick,

Ah, I remember when I didnt have to color my hair. I started a couple years ago. I have some grays at the top of my head, not a lot, but enough to irritate me. And yes, maintaining a healthy weight is important. For some that's easier to do than others. I've stayed pretty much the same although I did gain 20 lbs when I went back to school, from eating boxes of crackers and cereal at my desk studying. It came off in the last semester.My 2 pregnancies I gained 30 lbs in each. I'm only 5ft 3 and smaller, so 5 lbs on me is a lot. Oh well!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Sunscreen daily without fail
  • Loads of moisturiser/facial oils at night
  • Pedi-mani once a month - I do my own
  • Dye my own hair about 2-3 times a year (brunette is easy)
  • Boxtox twice a year - forehead & crows feet wrinkles
  • Regular exercise, even if it's just a power walk daily!
  • Never sleep with makeup on.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Part of my mindset is embracing my age. I have a lot of grey and that is just the way it is. I no longer highlight my hair around my face--I like the grey. Eventually I will not highlight anything at all...the reason I do a few on my crown is for the volume I get with the color drying out my hair. Flat hair sucks. LOL. I have blonde grey and brown and it looks very natural.

If I needed a face lift I would get one but I don't. Or not yet. I have used fillers, but not religiously as I have strong marionette lines--that is my gift from my Mom (face, genes) and fillers don't really help there on me anyway. No probs, I got glorious high cheekbones from my Dad.

I've never smoked. I eat well, and drink alcohol and love the sun. Not to say I don't protect my skin because I do, but I am not going to forego the pleasure I survive from the sun. Heals me mentally.

Everyone knows that I am an exerciser--helps every little cell.

Vit C serum makes a difference and I use thick crème on my face (L'Occtaine) . Sunscreen and make up with sunscreen. Oh and colored mascara. Makes a big difference. :)

I wish I could get a professional dental whiting but I have very sensitive teeth. I would been to be tranquilized for days. Maybe that is an option? LOL :lol-2: GEEZ even that EMOTIE has white teeth! waaaawaawaaaaaaaaa

Oh and I have some great designer clothes/boots/heels/shoes and a few decent baubles. When all else fails.

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think alcohol is getting a bad rep....I drink a glass or 2 of red wine a day, and not only is it chock full of antioxidants and cardio benefits, it give me a nice rosy cheeks that don't require blush!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Botox every 5-6ish months.

Juvederm on lips every couple of years or so.

Brows microbladed - touched up annually.

Nails every 3-4 weeks.

Toes every 3 months (summer is every 4-6 weeks).

Root color touched up every 6 weeks religiously - highlights every 4-5 months.

Obagi Hydrate morning and night.

Never go to bed with makeup on.

We need to have a bling and Botox night, sister!!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal

I got a tooth whitening treatment a few years ago. Owwwwww. Never again. I brush 2/3x day and floss every night. That's going to have to do. My mother had a blephoplasty and a facelift when she was much younger than I am now. I picked her up at the hospital and she was dressed in a raincoat with bandages all over her face. I said, "oh, it's the invisible man!". She was not amused.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@canuk-gal

I got a tooth whitening treatment a few years ago. Owwwwww. Never again. I brush 2/3x day and floss every night. That's going to have to do. My mother had a blephoplasty and a facelift when she was much younger than I am now. I picked her up at the hospital and she was dressed in a raincoat with bandages all over her face. I said, "oh, it's the invisible man!". She was not amused.

@doberman

LOL. I might be the invisible person myself one day.

I am meticulous with my dental care...but teeth whitening eyiyiyi. "New lessons for the old gal who had teenage teeth straightening now with aging gums: OK no more pain, maybe nothing here for me".

cheers--Sharon

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exercise daily and avoiding pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. I stay on the low side of my ideal BMI. On the days I don't go to the gym I have a home exercise routine and take the dogs for a mile walk- even in the winter. Skin care is exfoliating daily in the morning and using moisturizer at night. I brush and floss three times a day. No smoking and avoid alcohol.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So. At the risk of getting clobbered. Lol. Let me ask. Why did lots of folks on this post equate beauty with looking youthful?
The question posed is how do you manage beauty and yet, several have responded with how they stay young. At 46, I’m really curious about this notion that we women impose on ourselves. Why can’t we discuss beauty without mentioning youth? Why do we place such an emphasis on being mistaken for being younger than we are or vice versa? Do we really believe that as soon as we age, we will no longer be beautiful? Or that we don’t know any elderly beautiful people? Would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you responded in like fashion. And I don’t bring this up to be combative, but rather, to provoke some reflection or discussion.

Consider the comments about JLO after super bowl. She doesn’t look 50! She is ageless! She is gorgeous for 50! Omg! Why not just say she is beautiful?

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So. At the risk of getting clobbered. Lol. Let me ask. Why did lots of folks on this post equate beauty with looking youthful?
The question posed is how do you manage beauty and yet, several have responded with how they stay young. At 46, I’m really curious about this notion that we women impose on ourselves. Why can’t we discuss beauty without mentioning youth? Why do we place such an emphasis on being mistaken for being younger than we are or vice versa? Do we really believe that as soon as we age, we will no longer be beautiful? Or that we don’t know any elderly beautiful people? Would love to hear your thoughts, especially if you responded in like fashion. And I don’t bring this up to be combative, but rather, to provoke some reflection or discussion.

Consider the comments about JLO after super bowl. She doesn’t look 50! She is ageless! She is gorgeous for 50! Omg! Why not just say she is beautiful?

Good point, Nala. I do believe that women of all ages can be beautiful. Maybe I am guilty of falling prey to the crazy ideals that we see every day. Maybe it's trying to put off facing my own immortality. I know that my looks don't define me. However, I want to look as young as I feel.

And maybe I would just rather be a plum as long as I can! :P2 (meant to be a lighthearted joke)

Plum-and-prune.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, Nala. I do believe that women of all ages can be beautiful. Maybe I am guilty of falling prey to the crazy ideals that we see every day. Maybe it's trying to put off facing my own immortality. I know that my looks don't define me. However, I want to look as young as I feel.

And maybe I would just rather be a plum as long as I can! :P2 (meant to be a lighthearted joke)

Plum-and-prune.jpg

Thank you for sharing! I’ve been obsessed with this insight since I was accused of being an ageist. Tbh, at first I thought my friend was kidding when he accused me of that. Then I denied it bc how could a feminist like myself really think this way? So now that I’m not in denial, I’m focused on changing my mentality so that I can model a better attitude for all. I think my bias came from my mom who at the age of 81, is stilll obsessed with looking youthful. Then my older sisters also inherited her bias and are quick to equate beauty with youthfulness and of course, that is the attitude that was modeled for me. I’m realizing where my biases came from now that I’m old enough to know better than to be so shallow. Lol. The reality is that there will always be younger women. And we will stand next to them and our age will be apparent. Because we will all age. And I think that if as a society we start to value other aspects beside youthfulness, it will do us all a huge favor.
I want to add that my ageism also stemmed from the fact that as a dark skinned Latina, the sun has not had a major effect in terms of wrinkles. But all I have to do is take a pic with my 21 year old daughter and it’s back to reality!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point @nala. For me, I‘m not trying to look young, I’m trying to look the best I can for my age.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree - nothing is more beautiful, to me anyway, than someone who is comfortable in their own skin (whether that skin is plumped by fillers or not!) and who is content and happy, regardless of age. Some people are lucky and are happy with what they have naturally. Others (me included) need to spend time and cash to get happy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so each to their own!

I have under-eye fillers, not to make me look younger but to make me look less tired and haggard. Seeing a fresher face in the mirror cheers me up no end, so it’s cash well spent as far as I’m concerned!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so each to their own!

Amen to this. Completely true in all ways. No matter how one feels beautiful keep doing what makes you feel beautiful. On the inside and out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing! I’ve been obsessed with this insight since I was accused of being an ageist. Tbh, at first I thought my friend was kidding when he accused me of that. Then I denied it bc how could a feminist like myself really think this way? So now that I’m not in denial, I’m focused on changing my mentality so that I can model a better attitude for all. I think my bias came from my mom who at the age of 81, is stilll obsessed with looking youthful. Then my older sisters also inherited her bias and are quick to equate beauty with youthfulness and of course, that is the attitude that was modeled for me. I’m realizing where my biases came from now that I’m old enough to know better than to be so shallow. Lol. The reality is that there will always be younger women. And we will stand next to them and our age will be apparent. Because we will all age. And I think that if as a society we start to value other aspects beside youthfulness, it will do us all a huge favor.
I want to add that my ageism also stemmed from the fact that as a dark skinned Latina, the sun has not had a major effect in terms of wrinkles. But all I have to do is take a pic with my 21 year old daughter and it’s back to reality!

All true. It's about being the best you can be whatever that means. And it is different for all of us. If we constantly compare our appearance to women who are twenty we will always fall short. Always. I wouldn't change my age for the world. I am content and happy where I am and with all I have accomplished in life. With my wrinkles has come wisdom and perspective and peace and contentment and yes, happiness. Despite all that is happening in our world I am happy.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All true. It's about being the best you can be whatever that means. And it is different for all of us. If we constantly compare our appearance to women who are twenty we will always fall short.

As a mom of five girls I'd like to add that I'm concerned about the constant comparison. Worse now than ever before. It was already bad when I was young. One was supposed to compare oneself with the supermodels. Always implying that if one worked hard enough,one could get to this ideal somehow. Which was already quite damaging and not true. Those women were so well paid for a reason: They were the very small pool of genetically advantaged people who ALSO worked like heck to look like this. Nowadays everyone is constantly churning out pictures that are heavily edited, yet imply "I just woke up like this". I know how to read those stories, but I have gathered the impression that most young people don't.

Sorry for the threadjack!!
Because I do like makeup and skincare and I believe in face mists under extra virgin rosehip oil in the am, e v argan oil in the pm and lots of serums tailored to the needs of my skin at that moment:
Azelaic acid, vitamin c, peptides

@Gussie you look great!! I might muster up the courage to do something more drastic one day...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nowadays everyone is constantly churning out pictures that are heavily edited, yet imply "I just woke up like this"

Yes this is rampant. I see heavily edited photos on all social media. It's not real life. People aren't wrinkle and crease free and IMO it looks artificial. Air brushing etc. But you and I are of a different generation. IDK it does set young people up for disappointment and perhaps eating and other disorders.

I am sure your girls are growing up with the best role models (you and your DH) and I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. I do worry that other young people are not so lucky. It all comes down to sense of self and self confidence that is instilled by our family when we are young. Critical to our sense of well being IMO.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes this is rampant. I see heavily edited photos on all social media. It's not real life. People aren't wrinkle and crease free and IMO it looks artificial. Air brushing etc. But you and I are of a different generation. IDK it does set young people up for disappointment and perhaps eating and other disorders.

I am sure your girls are growing up with the best role models (you and your DH) and I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. I do worry that other young people are not so lucky. It all comes down to sense of self and self confidence that is instilled by our family when we are young. Critical to our sense of well being IMO.

You are so sweet @missy ! Thanks

I think I'll start a thread on the social media comparison part..

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I bring a slightly different angle to the thread. I unfortunately have a connective tissue disorder Ehlers Danlos that affects my skin. I absolutely have to look after my skin in a certain way as it damages/ tears quite easily and takes ages to heal.
I always wear SPF on my face without fail. I go easy on products so as not to clog up pores as that causes big problems for me.
I use a cleansing foam on an evening and a moisturizer that again is hydrating but not too heavy.
I do some light to moderate exercise every day but am prone to my joints slipping out of place due to the Ehlers Danlos so have to be careful. :shock:Walking and gentle yoga for me! Maybe a game if football with my boy!
I don't dye my hair but am getting to the point where I have a few more white hairs showing so we will see. :???:
Diet wise I try to steer clear of processed foods. I eat veggie 3 days a week. Lots of fruit, veg, chicken, fish and rice/ grains. I grow my own herbs and like to use those in cooking. I do also enjoy a treat, but in moderation!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so sweet @missy ! Thanks

I think I'll start a thread on the social media comparison part..

Love that idea and I am looking forward to participating in your thread @kipari.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@missy you are rocking age 54 lovely lady! ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results