shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you hide a window in a setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got a gorgeous unheated purple sapphire (cushion cut) 1.58ct. However, it has a horrible window. I want to set it in a Tiffany Legacyesque type setting from LOGR BUT how do I hide the window? Any ideas would be appreciated. If you don''t think that setting is appropriate then all ideas for cheap settings will be gratefully received!

Here''s the stone - it''s much more purple in real life and glitters like mad, which is the only reason I''m thinking of setting it:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This shows the colour a little better but it''s still more purple in real life - for some reason this wants to photograph blue!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Believe it or not, this is the same stone (2nd from bottom). This is in natural daylight (snow actually)!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
That''s not a horrible window, just a window
2.gif
. Put it in a backed setting, or have the jeweler attach a piece of metal that extends over the culet. It can be done tastefully.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The LOGR already has the crisscross of metal going underneath, so it might minimize the window. Elmo, correct me if I''m wrong. Here''s the bottom of the LOGR. Do you think this would be enough, or does she need more metal?

LD,
Nice stones there!

facedowne.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Elmo and TL. Do you think there''s enough metal underneath on the LOGR setting?

TL - the colours of the gemstones are nowhere near what I see! Since being told how to photograph gemstones I''m making a horrible job of it so think I''m going to go back to old habits!
28.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can close a window but rarely hide it. Many rubies and sapphires are cut with a slight window under the table. Sapphires in particular, they are dark in tone and a window lightens the center. If you build the setting correctly you can close that up. Sometimes, usually with a custom made prong but more often with a bezel we can build a tapered bezel, angle the metal and polish the inside of the bezel, in a sense correcting the improper angle in the stone's pavilion. This requires a master craftsman and some fancy geometric footwork.

In the case of extreme cutting faults such as the image you posted, nothing can be done.

P.S. The foregoing is part of the goldsmith's art but it is no substitute for buying a properly cut gemstone.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results