shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get your GF''s ring size w/o letting her know what you are up to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
O.K. The three stones are paid for. The DVatche setting is picked out. The best diamond broker on the planet (DBOF) is ready to submit the exact specifications to DVatche to have the setting made for my diamonds. There''s just one vital statistic missing . . . the ring size.

Does anyone have any good ideas for determining a girlfriend''s ring size without clueing her into what you are doing? I think I have a fair chance of a legitimate surprise if I can figure out her ring size without her catching on, but I have wracked my brain trying to think of a way to get this information. She has an Irish ring that she wears on her right fourth finger, but she never takes it off.

She has other rings she does not wear, but I am not sure whether they would fit her ring finger perfectly or not. I would just get the ring resized, but I understand that is relatively difficult to do with a DVatche platinum ring. Come on guys (and gals
tongue.gif
), somebody has to have some clever ideas out there. Anyone? Anyone? Thank you so much for your help or thoughts.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
That's a real dilemma, national average is a six... Maybe one of her friends knows? Or at least knows which rings she wears on which finger... The challenge with sizing the D. Vatche rings is that they place their hallmark (brand stamp) right in the center of the bottom of the ring.

bbb in to

Rough_Rock
found this advice on the web
maybe of use to you

"Below, you’ll find some very easy solutions to getting her ring size while keeping your gift a surprise. Keep in mind that a woman’s ring size will vary for each finger, so the below suggestions are meant only as a directional tool for you.

Make an Impression
If she’s in the habit of leaving any of her rings lying about, make an impression of one. A bar of soap, a piece of clay or even a piece of bread can be used to take a reliable measurement.

Put it in Writing
You could even trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper which the jeweler can then use to determine an accurate measurement.

Try it on for Size
Simpler still, just put one of her rings on your own fingers. Push it down as far as it will go and then mark the spot with a pen. Then just show the marking to your jeweler who can measure it for you.

What are Friends For
A friend of the soon-to-be bride’s can be of great assistance in this particular endeavor. It’s not uncommon for one friend to ask another for their ring size as a matter of curiosity. Just be sure you choose a friend who can keep a secret.

The Real Thing
If you can bring one of her rings to the jeweler without arousing any suspicion, this will probably be the safest course of action. Offer to take her jewelry to be cleaned and have the jeweler measure her ring at the same time."

i have heard that platinum is more difficult to resize than gold - don't know how true that is

good luck in you endeavours

bbb

jlim

Shiny_Rock
My gf has only 1 ring that she wears on her middle right finger. So, using that to gauge was going to be difficult. When her sister came to visit us, I asked her sister to take her to a jewelry store window shopping and conveniently get her ring finger sized at the same time. Not sure if this clued her in or not.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also don't forget that most women won't wear regular rings on their left ring finger. So, if she's right-handed and you take an impression of a ring she wears on her right ring finger, her e-ring size is liable to be 1/4-1/2 size smaller.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Heya Hest...

Just as an aside, that's true, unless, like me, she happens to be left handed.

Then usually the left hand ring finger is smaller.

win

2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Winyan, I knew there was something different about you...
naughty.gif

mrs.mccutcheon

Rough_Rock
My BF uses his rings to size my rings. I'm always stealin his rings and putting them on and he compares. The he does the same to me and he knows my ring finer is the same size as his pinky! And if it's 1/4 size to 1/2 off then yes the stamp might be a little off but not a whole lot. The worry to me would me does she like the ring not is the stamp in the center!

SwanSong

Rough_Rock
This doesn't really answer your question...the other posters did a great job of that already.

What I did was...bought a temporary setting and attached a ring guard to it...then after you propose...you take her setting shopping.

She will love it...at least my fiance did...she loves the fact that she can choose whatever she wants now.

Just and idea...Hope it works out for you.

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
I had the exact same problem. My wife only wears her engagement/wedding band set and never takes them off unattended. I wanted to get her an anniversary ring for our 20th (this Friday!!) and wanted it to be a total surprise. This is a little out there but this is what I did. I am a woodworker and had some ebony that I turned to make matching rings for my 9 year old daughter and my wife. I took the best guess I could (size 7 for my wife) and surprised them on mother's day. They thought they were great fun and best of all I was able to check the fit. Turns out she is a 6-3/4.

shurikt

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 6/25/2003 12
6.gif
4:48 AM niceice wrote:

The challenge with sizing the D. Vatche rings is that they place their hallmark (brand stamp) right in the center of the bottom of the ring.

----------------
I had the same problem, but my jeweler was able to add a little platinum just beyond the hallmark and there's no way to tell that it's any different. It was a 1/2 size change, though. Maybe more would be trouble.

I say go for the friend thing. If she has a friend you can trust, that is.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
You've gotten lots of good advice
And tips on how to tell
If the ring you put on your lady's hand
Will fit her good and well

The one who said "make a mold in the soap"
Was my personal favorite - I'd say
It's a story you'll tell again and again
Perhaps to your kids one day!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hest wrote:

"Also don't forget that most women won't wear regular rings on their left ring finger. So, if she's right-handed and you take an impression of a ring she wears on her right ring finger, her e-ring size is liable to be 1/4-1/2 size smaller."

winyan replied:

"Just as an aside, that's true, unless, like me, she happens to be left handed.

Then usually the left hand ring finger is smaller."

What am I missing here? Why do Hest and winyan understand each other?

Deb

read.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
*lol* Deb, sometimes I think Hest and I are joined at the hip, or at the very least my unknown mirror image twin.

We like the same stuff...especially if it's spelled *OLD*

win

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Hest and Winyan. I was going post it earlier but got distracted (work). I am right handed and my right ring finger is larger than my left ring finger. So much so that my prev. wedding ring wouldn't make it half way down the right ring finger.

My ex once wrapped a straw wrapper (paper not plastic) around my finger and tied it while we were out to breakfast and slid it off. I never thought to ask why and that's how he got mine.

liababygirl8

Rough_Rock
Most womens'' ring sizes are the same as their shoe size, for instance my sister wears a size 7 and her ring size is 7 and I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and my ring size is 8.5 I know it sounds a bit silly but a friend of mine told me this and I didn''t beleive her so I went and got my ring size checked and she was right.....Good Luck

Jenjen

Rough_Rock
That shoe size=ring size rule doesn''t work for me!

Shoe size = 6.5
ring size = 3.5

I wonder if it''s just coincidence?
4.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
ask a jewlery store where they have that huge ring of blank rings for sizing, and see what they say- Did you talk to her parents? See what her mom says. You have to be sneaky
27.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 1:27:31 PM
Author: Jenjen
That shoe size=ring size rule doesn''t work for me!

Shoe size = 6.5

ring size = 3.5

I wonder if it''s just coincidence?
4.gif

Doesn''t work for me either.

Shoe size = 7.5, ring finger size 4.5. Even my middle finger is only a 6.5.

There is such a big difference that it might be quite a problem to resize a ring bought according to this theory.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think the shoe size thing is total bs... BUT - here is an idea that might work -
tell her you are looking for a holiday gift for her, and make it sound realistic (and not like an e-ring). Example, say she likes the Tiffany silver mesh ring, it costs about $125, so even if you end up buying it, its not the end of the world. Or say you want to get her another celtic style ring or something in her birthstone. You can either take her shopping for it (and get the ring size then) or just ask her what size to order - the trick is to hint at something else plausible that you are shopping for so she won''t think it is the e-ring.
Worst case, if you have to have the ring resized a bit, you could send it back to DVatche for the sizing (which I think you have to do to keep their warranty, although I didn''t do this...) and they should restamp the name in there.
Also, FYI in my dvatche e-ring setting they have stamped the dvatche name on the side near the head, not in the back. Since they are custom making the ring, maybe you can request them to put the stamp on the side?
Good luck!!!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
The shoe size/ring size is total bs. This was discussed on another thread several months ago and almost no one had the same size ring/shoe. I wear a 5 ring and a 6 1/2 shoe. The best is probably to get a friend to work it for you. What about her family? Could they possibly know her ring size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results