shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you figure length to width ratio (help) :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
10.63 x 10.16 x 5.93 on a 3.37 heart diamond....

I''ve been reading about this, and I''m not sure what the right way....

Thanks so much (also, if you could explain to me how you calculate it)... That would be great...

Thanks,
T
28.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10.63 divided by 10.16 = 1.046

They would probably round it off and say the length to width ratio is 1.05.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
wow that was fast....1.05 so if they say that the leght to with ratio should be 1 to 1 , do I just round this to 1 ? Sorry, if this is a silly question...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I guess you could.

1.05 is not as good as 1.04, which is not as good as 1.03, and they all round to 1.0.
1.49 also rounds to 1.
So you could have 49 stones from 1.01 to 1.49 and they all round to 1.

If you have the precision available feel free to use it.

If you are comparing stones and desire a ratio of 1 to 1 and everything else about the stones is the same then pay attention to those digits after the decimal place.

Everyone is different.
I'm an engineer and a hair splitter. (Which clearly annoys people here.)

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much...

The reason I ask was because of this article... and I wanted to see where the diamond fell in comparison to what they were saying...

Learn about Heart Length to Width

The length to width ratio of a heart shape diamond is important to its value. Popular diamond quality reports from GIA and other gemological laboratories do not provide length to width ratios. However, they do provide length, width, and depth measurements. Length to width ratios are determined by dividing the length measurement by the width measurement. Measurements are always calculated to the one-hundreth of a millimeter.(Example) Heart length equals 6 millimeters. Heart width equals 6 millimeters; 6 millimeters divided by 6 millimeters equals a length to width ratio of 1 to 1.

The best heart shape diamonds will have a length to width ratios between .9 to 1 and 1.2 to 1. Length to width ratios within these ranges are considered by GIA as very fine to ideal. Ideal length to width ratio is 1 to 1. Diamonds are rarely cut to perfect 1 to 1 ratio and are rarely found. A heart shape diamond''s length to width ratio is largely determined by the original size of the rough diamond crystal. When a rare fine quality diamond is cut by an experienced diamond cutter, the weight and value will never be sacrificed simply to make a diamonds length to width ratio 1 to 1. If the diamond is within the range of .9 to 1 and 1.2 to 1, extra weight is usually not removed. Heart diamonds always look longer after the diamond has been set in the proper setting. Take this time to return to our list of Certified-Plus Diamond and choose the perfect heart shaped diamond that is as affordable and beautifully shaped.

After reading this, what would you say the diamond above would fall into? The decimals are making my head spin....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imagine a number line.

Oh, don't imagine.
Just use mine:

DSC_36.jpg

If 1.0 is the goal.
The closer you are to 1.0 the better.

Does this help?

Hey, wait a minute.
Actually if GIA's best range is 0.9 to 1.2 then the middle of that range is not 1.0.
It is 1.05, which is what that stone is.

So maybe that stone is as good as you can get for length to width ratio.

Daisyheart

Shiny_Rock

Kenny, you''re the best...

That''s what my silly mind needed a diagram. How funny....

I just couldn''t put my mind around it, maybe it''s because it''s late...

i''m definatley not a numbers person...

I think I got it...

Thanks.....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2006 1:35:05 AM
Author: kenny
I''m an engineer and a hair splitter. (Which clearly annoys people here.)
LOL Not me Kenny.
28.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anywhere within 5% of square looks square to most people. The usual goal is to find a unique diamond that you like the most, not to find a square stone. I know it is tempting to set exacting measures to whatever parts of a diamond can be measured, but the elusive and most important aspect is beauty. Squareness is only a small part.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results