shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel if a couple doesn''t register?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 11:24:08 AM
Author: wannaBMrsH

We didnt register because we REALLY didn''t want anything and we made it clear that everyone''s presence at our parties and wedding was more than enough gift for us. Some people still bought us things and we received very beautiful gifts. I loved it because I probably would never have even thought about registering for these and we use them all the time!
Ditto. We recieved some lovely gifts, some guests brought us beautiful cards with kind words, and we selected a few charities we both love for those guests who really pushed for some sort of direction in giving a gift. We were happy to know that those charities recieved some generous donations on our behalf.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Couldn''t possibly care less. I would still just give them either a check, or a gift card to a store like home depot/lowes/bed bath beyond.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I like having the registry for a shower. For weddings I always give cash.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 11:14:37 PM
Author: 4ever

Also, just to be aquard and thread-jack a bit, for those having a really small wedding and reception with just close friends and family, are you going to have a gift registery?

We registered and there are ten, including the two of us! at the wedding. We have already received gifts off of the registry and our wedding isn''t for over a month. People had been asking us for a while if we were registering. My aunts really warned me against not registering saying I''d get a whole pile of nonreturnable things I would never have wanted and it would''ve been a hassle.

If I was just going to a wedding, I wouldn''t care if someone didn''t register, as I give cash. We give gifts off of the registry for showers and then people who''s weddings we weren''t invited to but we still wanted to get a gift for. If we ran across one of those situations and the people had no registry, I''d probably get them an easily returnable gift.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 9:57:16 PM
Author: lulu
I like having the registry for a shower. For weddings I always give cash.
Plus one.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
If the bride is having a shower, I feel annoyed. I know she is going to open my gift in my presence, in front of a bunch of people, and I want it to be something she''ll like. If there''s a shower and no registry, I get major gift anxiety!

Otherwise, I give cash, or if I know the couple well, I pick out a gift I know they will appreciate.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually love it when a couple doesn''t register, because if they''re close enough friends I like to spend the time to find them something unique that I know they would really enjoy.
If we''re not super close, we just give a check. We usually give a check, anyway, except for shower gifts.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I would feel confused about what to get them, and probably end up getting annoying cos I can''t make up my mind about what to buy.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only been to one wedding where the couple didn't register, and they made it easy by specifying that they didn't want any gifts.

Do you want gifts? If you want gifts, I'd register. If not, I would just spread the word that you don't want anything, or put it on the wedding website that you don't want anything.

If I went to a wedding where the couple didn't register I would probably end up just asking what they wanted. (If I knew them well.) I wouldn't say I'd be annoyed, but it's just easier when they register.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 11:30:34 PM
Author: thing2of2
I''ve only been to one wedding where the couple didn''t register, and they made it easy by specifying that they didn''t want any gifts.

Do you want gifts? If you want gifts, I''d register. If not, I would just spread the word that you don''t want anything, or put it on the wedding website that you don''t want anything.

If I went to a wedding where the couple didn''t register I would probably end up just asking what they wanted. (If I knew them well.) I wouldn''t say I''d be annoyed, but it''s just easier when they register.

I don''t care about gifts, but I can''t speak for FH!
3.gif
He''s always inquiring about these gifts... LOL!

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never been to a wedding where the couple wasn''t registered! Hmmm.

We''re not planning to register and would prefer not to receive any gifts. If people insist we will direct them to the charities we currently donate to. We''ve been on our own for awhile and have purchased all the nice things you''d typically find on a registry.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn''t make me forgo a gift, but it would be confusing. Even if someone posts a small registry it gives me an idea as to what they are looking for/style/colors etc... Depending on how well I knew the couple I would try to find something personal for them, I wouldn''t take it to mean that they didn''t want any gifts.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 11:50:51 PM
Author: trillionaire

I''ve only been to one wedding where the couple didn''t register, and they made it easy by specifying that they didn''t want any gifts.

Do you want gifts? If you want gifts, I''d register. If not, I would just spread the word that you don''t want anything, or put it on the wedding website that you don''t want anything.

If I went to a wedding where the couple didn''t register I would probably end up just asking what they wanted. (If I knew them well.) I wouldn''t say I''d be annoyed, but it''s just easier when they register.

3.gif

Ha! Well I know you said you have a lot of stuff, but is there anything you do need that you could register for just in case someone asks for the registry? We had a lot of stuff between the two of us, but I waited to buy nice daily use china, matching towels, etc. because I knew we could register for it when we got married. We didn''t register for a ton of expensive stuff, either. Most things were int eh I know your wedding is a DW but some people are probably going to want to give you gifts no matter what. And if you change your mind on the stuff you registered for later, you can return it! Maybe that will help your indecisiveness? Bed, Bath and Beyond in particular is super lenient about their registry returns and they''ll even give cash back, which is nice.

I don''t know where your family is, but in my family the northerners gave checks exclusively and the southerners gave gifts about 85% of the time. So if your family or your fiance''s family is in the south, I''d think about registering. If you don''t want to, it''s no big deal- all of the off-registry gifts we were given had the gift receipt included and I bet most people would do the same for you.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the UK where we don''t have showers etc so all gifts are given at the wedding.

In my social circle giving cash is a bit of a no no and 99% of people will bring a gift or buy off the registry.

Just about everyone registers at one particular shop - John Lewis - so you don''t need to ask where they are registered, you just put their name and wedding date in and it comes up.

I either buy from the registry or a gift that I think the couple would enjoy - I never give money and I wouldn''t be happy if I was asked to give money either.

DH and I were in our mid-30s, so we had everything you need to live - so I put a moritorium on house stuff shopping from when we got engaged and then we put new china, flatware, glasses, bedlinen, cookware etc on our registry plus fun things like a digital shower radio. We were about to move house and it was so nice to have nice new quality bedlinen with sheets and pillowcases that matched!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 9:45:25 AM

Date: 9/9/2009 11:50:51 PM
Author: trillionaire

3.gif

Ha! Well I know you said you have a lot of stuff, but is there anything you do need that you could register for just in case someone asks for the registry? We had a lot of stuff between the two of us, but I waited to buy nice daily use china, matching towels, etc. because I knew we could register for it when we got married. We didn''t register for a ton of expensive stuff, either. Most things were int eh I know your wedding is a DW but some people are probably going to want to give you gifts no matter what. And if you change your mind on the stuff you registered for later, you can return it! Maybe that will help your indecisiveness? Bed, Bath and Beyond in particular is super lenient about their registry returns and they''ll even give cash back, which is nice.

I don''t know where your family is, but in my family the northerners gave checks exclusively and the southerners gave gifts about 85% of the time. So if your family or your fiance''s family is in the south, I''d think about registering. If you don''t want to, it''s no big deal- all of the off-registry gifts we were given had the gift receipt included and I bet most people would do the same for you.
FI''s family is mostly in/from California, with some from/in Louisiana. My family is largely scattered all over the East Coast. We live a pretty scattered existence, so I sense that people would appreciate a registry... I think that those who can''t afford to attend may prefer to have some gift options on a registry.

I did find a place, myregistry.com that allows you to register for anything on the web, so it''s nice that you can be flexible with the items that you want/need, but I love the return policies of places like Bed Bath and Beyond.
40.gif
We''ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results