shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about your moissanite/synthetic rings?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Some backstory: I want to treat myself for a milestone birthday, but it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought. I have a 7mm stone in a three sided pave Tacori style setting. It's very sparkly, with 3/4 carats of melee, but it's also quite wide and I feel like my stone basically blends into the setting. This has always and likely will always bother me. I've considered resetting it into a halo so it has more presence, but it is K color, so I'm unsure if I would like it in a diamond halo due to the color contrast. I'm considering an Ivy and Rose sapphire target ring which I'm hoping would have less contrast.

If I go with the target ring I could get the one that fits my 7mm stone and reset it, but I wonder if I would miss the sparkle of my current setting. Or I could get either the 7mm or 8mm size and get a moissanite. I would like to get an August Vintage OEC cut if I went that route. Maybe an 8mm so if I wanted to do something different in the future it would be a different size than my diamond. I'd love a diamond OEC but I don't have the funds saved at this time.

I'm wondering how people feel about their moissanite/synthetic rings. Do you try to pass them off as diamonds? Do you wish that you had just put the extra money into your "main" diamond ring instead, or do you enjoy having multiple different rings? Do friends/family/coworkers notice and comment on your multiple rings? I feel like I may be the kind of person that feels strange wearing a ring that isn't my diamond and might not choose it as often because it isn't "real" (I know that's silly).

I really don't know if I can justify the kind of money to get a real 7 or 8mm OEC, even if it's years in the future, and my current stone is from a local jeweler that I would not like to work with again so I feel like I don't really have any options to change it up/go bigger unless I take a large loss trying to sell it.

Sorry for the novel, any insight into your own projects and how you felt about them would be really appreciated!

Last edited:

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I find that other people don't care about our jewelry as much as we do (obviously). I have diamonds, moissanites, CZ, and strontium titanite (another sim) and nobody knows or cares which is which. I wear multiple pieces of fine and costume jewelry almost every day and people rarely comment. When they do, it's normally just, "I like that!"

However, I don't tend to interchange my e-ring on a daily basis. Just not really my thing. I'd prefer to use my right hand for other rings. But I wouldn't feel weird about it just because it was moissanite, no. And I wouldn't mention that it's moissanite unless asked.*

I definitely think it's great to try out new styles before you commit to buying too. I found out I don't really like OECs under 2ct by wearing a 1ct sim OEC rhr.

Basically, I think it sounds like a great idea for you. I just wouldn't recommend you pay astronomical prices. You can get a really nice moissanite ring for $750 or less. If you know you want to upgrade in the future, I wouldn't pay much more than that. You may even want to try cz tbh. There is some beautiful cz out there that looks nothing like your grandma's cz rings. It's very diamond-like and they offer oec as well. You can find it on etsy.

* Only exception is one of my coworkers said she wished she could afford a necklace like one I have. It's a 0.5ct eq bezel set cz. I told her it was cz and where to get it and she was thrilled.

Last edited:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Some backstory: I want to treat myself for a milestone birthday, but it's turning out to be more difficult than I thought. I have a 7mm stone in a three sided pave Tacori style setting. It's very sparkly, with 3/4 carats of melee, but it's also quite wide and I feel like my stone basically blends into the setting. This has always and likely will always bother me. I've considered resetting it into a halo so it has more presence, but it is K color, so I'm unsure if I would like it in a diamond halo due to the color contrast. I'm considering an Ivy and Rose sapphire target ring which I'm hoping would have less contrast.

If I go with the target ring I could get the one that fits my 7mm stone and reset it, but I wonder if I would miss the sparkle of my current setting. Or I could get either the 7mm or 8mm size and get a moissanite. I would like to get an August Vintage OEC cut if I went that route. Maybe an 8mm so if I wanted to do something different in the future it would be a different size than my diamond. I'd love a diamond OEC but I don't have the funds saved at this time.

I'm wondering how people feel about their moissanite/synthetic rings. Do you try to pass them off as diamonds? Do you wish that you had just put the extra money into your "main" diamond ring instead, or do you enjoy having multiple different rings? Do friends/family/coworkers notice and comment on your multiple rings? I feel like I may be the kind of person that feels strange wearing a ring that isn't my diamond and might not choose it as often because it isn't "real" (I know that's silly).

I really don't know if I can justify the kind of money to get a real 7 or 8mm OEC, even if it's years in the future, and my current stone is from a local jeweler that I would not like to work with again so I feel like I don't really have any options to change it up/go bigger unless I take a large loss trying to sell it.

Sorry for the novel, any insight into your own projects and how you felt about them would be really appreciated!
I have seen some warmer diamonds placed in yellow gold bezels with white halo diamonds and they are gorgeous. I would look at CVB Inspired for some ideas. I have seen a few from her over the last year on PS. I also love the ring that @anangel bought from LAD. It has an OEC center but the halo around this could still work with a modern K round. I think it has been black rhodium plated but I am sure she could offer some insight to this.

I don’t think you should buy something you don’t feel you will wear because it is not ‘real’. I have diamonds, moissanites, gemstones. I wear them all depending on my mood. There are many affordable gemstones as well. I just got an Asscher aquamarine and a tourmaline and each were under $300 for precision cuts. There are many options if you want something different. You could always put a gemstone in your Tacori ring and reset the diamond so you wear both.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have diamonds and Moissanite. My engagement ring is all diamonds but because it’s large I’ve had people comment on my “lovely CZ ring and did I buy it on eBay?”and “That’s too big to be real”. Sigh.
I love Moissanite for its extra sparkle, it’s slightly more dispersive than diamonds. I also have some Strontium Titanite which is even more sparkly (but it’s really soft and not for everyday wear).
Personally I think it rude if someone asks “is that a diamond”? Family and close friends ok, but Strangers? None of their business.
Buy what you like. Certainly Moissanite is a good diamond substitute, it isn’t too expensive and it sparkles and unlike CZ wears well ie it doesn’t get facet abraision like CZ will. It’s also a bit warmer in tone, CZ is sort of a blue white which to me seems artificial.
If your heart is set on diamond, only diamond will satisfy that itch but if you’re looking for another ring to add to your collection without breaking the bank and maybe to “tide you over until finances allow for a diamond purchase” Moissanite is a great option.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I am an equal opportunity sparkle lover!
Diamonds:
(This is the ring from Love Affair Diamonds- R AVR in a rose gold original LAD setting)
AD5F9FEC-D2BF-4812-AA6A-B7196ED18CFE.jpeg
(Oval diamond center three stone in a platinum Ritani setting)
E4A1BDD5-7D98-4ECA-807D-68048B4225B3.jpeg
Moissanite:
(7 mm Tianyu in A Jaffee Center of My Universe setting)
74CE2894-3B5F-432C-BBFE-3DC79E224350.jpeg
(7 mm Tianyu moissanite with a Simon G inspired setting)
CFFF3FB1-430E-43C9-8916-17F0BCCCAAF2.jpeg
(Antique cut cushion from StarsGem)
E77850D5-D245-4898-A6FD-836148B63845.jpeg
(7.5 mm hearts and arrows round from StarsGem
EDDAEC3F-3210-4361-B81C-C84B487D748A.jpeg
I think they’re all beautiful! My rings change often, only my best friend asks if they’re diamond (her engagement ring is a beautiful rocking moissanite so she doesn’t judge. I’ve stopped caring if they’re “real” or not- I’ve never, ever had a negative comment and would happily tell people about moissanite if they’re ever asked. =)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you prefer diamond but your budget prefers moissanite (I know that feeling... lol) why not consider Man Made / Lab Grown Diamonds?

It is mooted they will come down in price more in the future, but you can still get considerable size and quality for a lot less than a Mined stone right now :)

:kiss2:
I LOVE having multiple sets.
I did get abit weirded out when people asked if my 7x9mm moissanite was a diamond. I was in a work situation and it was someone i’d never met so I just went with it. Normally I wouldn’t do that though because moissy isn’t as well known in Australia I actually love telling people all about it and it’s properties and where it came from but in that situation I was about to step into the operating theatre and didn’t have the time for the lengthy chat.
I don’t think I’d ever be content with just one set. Maybe I should have just gotten multiple stacking bands but I have had multiple moissanites over the years that I have loved but my tastes continue to evolve and I love that we sell in this community to fund new projects. I’ve got a ruby halo that’s just been completed that I’ll pick up this week - it’s a heavily included lab ruby which I love the look of in a halo setting with 3mm moissanite in white gold. My original engagement ring is a 1 ct cushion diamond with diamond pears in platinum and I love it intensely but I love changing my rings with my mood and my outfits.
I also have a 3 stone dark green moissanite in yellow gold and have my eye on a blue sapphire in rose gold and a cultured emerald. Most of my friends are used to my rotating ring sets now and always gush over how pretty they all are. My husband still rolls his eyes at it all. Ha. But it makes me so happy.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have both natural diamonds as well as a lab stone ring. I love my lab spinel very much! It's gorgeous and makes me so happy! The colour is beautiful and I adore the cut.
But I will be honest. I still prefer natural stones. So I will be waiting until we can get my dream parti sapphire to do anything major jewellerywise.

In the meantime I have my diamond engagement ring and my lovely custom cut spinel ring to keep me company in the meantime. Once I do get my sapphire I plan on resetting the spinel to a pendant because i really do love it! I am also planning on buying one more spinel from the same cutter next year because of how much I like the one I have.
Ugh I guess that wasn't really helpful at all was it? :/ >.<
20190723_134728.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have moissy earrings, bezel pendant and a rose cut toi et moi. I love them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a mix of diamonds and CZ pieces, and am planning to get a bezel set moissy bracelet in white gold to replace my aging cheapo CZ one.

Can't justify spending 8k+ USD on a diamond one when I already have a very nice diamond bracelet, however I can stretch it to a moissy one for about 1k USD.

No one has ever asked if any of my jewellery is real. I only wear sizes and styles that look like I can actually afford if they are real, so nothing like a 4ct EC!

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have diamonds and moissanite. I really enjoy the variety moissanite brings. I don’t have lots of excitement in my life but jewelry gives me so much joy. I have a 2.03 round brilliant diamond and a 2.07 diamond cushion..but I also have the most beautiful AV emerald cut moissanite that would be too expensive in a real diamond...It gives me the variety without having to pay an exorbitant amount. I will tell people that they are moissanite if asked but I don’t volunteer the information. If someone says they like it I just say thank you. My emerald cut AV moissanite gets my hand grabbed a lot! I also bought an 8.8mm AV round brilliant that I purchased to see if I wanted a larger diamond. I love it so much...It gives off such a nice sparkle equal to my diamond..I know other people are happy with czs but I prefer the moissanite. It’s whatever you feel comfortable with and makes YOU happy!

I have both natural diamonds as well as a lab stone ring. I love my lab spinel very much! It's gorgeous and makes me so happy! The colour is beautiful and I adore the cut.
But I will be honest. I still prefer natural stones. So I will be waiting until we can get my dream parti sapphire to do anything major jewellerywise.

In the meantime I have my diamond engagement ring and my lovely custom cut spinel ring to keep me company in the meantime. Once I do get my sapphire I plan on resetting the spinel to a pendant because i really do love it! I am also planning on buying one more spinel from the same cutter next year because of how much I like the one I have.
Ugh I guess that wasn't really helpful at all was it? :/ >.<
20190723_134728.jpg

I have a real thing for parti sapphires too !!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the comments, I enjoyed reading through all of them. I have been slowly making my way through the threads about the different moissanite vendors as well. It might be worth it to try one of the less expensive vendors and order a loose stone. I'm sure that the AV stone would be really wonderful but it is pretty pricey. Hard to know if I should put my funds to that or save more and get a lab grown stone. I like the idea of that more and more. I just upgraded my stone 3 years ago but I feel like lab grown stones have made so much progress since then!

I ordered the target ring setting to see how I feel about that as a starting point. I like the process of learning about the options, researching the different vendors, and looking through PS. It's a nice distraction from daily life! =)2

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear diamonds and moissy and honestly people ask if my diamonds are real as often as they ask about the moissy. All of them are ideal cut so I think that’s actually what throws people since their idea of “diamond” is mostly informed by what they see in malls. So anything this shiny can’t be real lol.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I am having a love affair with Berricle emerald cuts. They look incredibly real and I will be wearing them to the beach, vacations, skiing, etc- anywhere I don't want to bring my real diamond rings. I have told my closest friends they are fake, as they thought I got a new ring!

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 12.13.16 PM.png Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 12.12.48 PM.png

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Right now I am having a love affair with Berricle emerald cuts. They look incredibly real and I will be wearing them to the beach, vacations, skiing, etc- anywhere I don't want to bring my real diamond rings. I have told my closest friends they are fake, as they thought I got a new ring!

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 12.13.16 PM.png Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 12.12.48 PM.png
Ditto! I just bought an emerald cut Berricle ring and it is very pretty and sparkly. I will wear when I don’t want to wear the real thing.

5C5697A0-C672-43B8-8F94-2B0E85ED0B5D.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have diamond, moissy, cz, and colored stone rings. People ask me more often if my diamond is a diamond or if it's real or whatever, i think b/c it is yellow. No one has ever asked if my moissys are real though I ised to rush to say it wasnt a diamond anytime someone admired them, trying to stop that cuz people don't care. I haven't worn my czs out much but again I don't think anyone would care or ask.

I really like having multiple rings for days I want a more subdued look or want to wear all white metal. The moissys weren't cheap exactly but affordable little luxuries that I know will last but don't have to worry as much about damaging or losing. The czs are temporary fun, they are not going to stand the test of time. They all have their place and whatever you choose, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes, diamonds will still look warm in sapphire target rings. I hope you’ll figure out what’s best.

I have multiple rings with diamonds and moissy. It’s great to have options without the budget for 5 diamond honkers. :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have a peridot and white sapphire silver ring
i wish it were real diamonds
i keep the saphires really clean but its so not a dianind
i just brought it for fun but ive never warn it out
one day if they get cheaper i might swap the saphires out for lab diamonds

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two AV moissanite stones and sold them because I found that I don't like the rainbow refraction. I did see a Harro Gem emerald cut moissy at a Lauren B. show that looked nice, but the price was still going to be more than I'm willing to pay for a moissanite when I could be putting money toward a diamond or gemstone. I do have a couple of lab sapphires, one that I plan to start wearing as an e-ring alternative. I'm with @soxfan and @hypermom, the Berricle CZs are great for an alternative ring. I bought this one and love it, but I admit that I haven't worn it out in public yet. It cost a whooping $23.
MyBerricle.jpg
MyBerricle2.jpg
MyBerricle3.jpg
MyBerricle4.jpg

Attachments

• Berricle 3 rings.jpg
    Berricle 3 rings.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 98

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you prefer diamond but your budget prefers moissanite (I know that feeling... lol) why not consider Man Made / Lab Grown Diamonds?

It is mooted they will come down in price more in the future, but you can still get considerable size and quality for a lot less than a Mined stone right now :)

I second this. I have a CvB moissy ring I bought second hand. Mainly, because I loved the setting and the price for the setting stock was less than the whole ring. It is a bezel, but I thought Casey's bench one day may be able to replace the center. I wear it still, but it's very different than a diamond to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results