shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about "special occasion" jewelry?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some because I'm still usually expected to attend some events when no pandemic for my husband. But for me my special jewellery is usually my triple cultured pearl strand from my wedding day and my engagement ring since it's a mined diamond in a mined diamond halo. Super sparkly lol. I wear them for nice dates as well. I consider that a special occasion too. It doesn't all need to be saved for weddings, funerals, and formal parties :D

If I'm not wearing my pearls though I have a huge green resin pendant in plated gold that I love too. Poor thing needs a redip but I love it so much. It's so beautiful. I had to have it even though I pretty much turn my nose up at plated stuff because of my penchant for getting a rash from non platinum. But I fell in love and wear it on date nights or events as well on my grandmother's gold necklace.

So yeah I'm for some nicer jewellery for special stuff!

We have to see this pendent ...

Can you post it over in the fabulous fashion jewlery forum for us please

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no shame. If I want to wear 20 carats plus walking the dogs, going to the Hardware Store or the Post Office, well, I just do.
My pretties are a source of joy anytime and every time I put them on.
with my most favourite pieces I will “put them away” for a little while so when I get them out again I can go “Ahhhhh, so beautiful” and fall in love all over again.
I buy my pretties pre loved at a good price so I know that if worst came to worst I could sell them for close to what I paid so “per wear cost” doesn’t need to come into the equation.
the ring is a cracker, I’d be snapping that up.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally depends on attitude and lifestyle. I don't buy stuff I don't think I can wear at least several times a week. With that said, I am in love with pave flower earrings that normally I would never wear for anything except for a wedding, which I haven't attended in more than several years. So I am trying to talk myself into having the attitude to rock them everyday, just so I can justify buying them...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very nice ring!
I love it.

I hear you on cost per wear ..... I'm completely torn on the topic as well.

I don't have many special occasions anymore and I know that I'm wearing my bracelet stack that I only remove for cleaning most.

Yet I actively search for antique statement convertible pieces (think necklace into two bracelets , brooch to pendant) that are not suitable for everyday wear.

I guess when you fall in love you'll know!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally depends on attitude and lifestyle. I don't buy stuff I don't think I can wear at least several times a week. With that said, I am in love with pave flower earrings that normally I would never wear for anything except for a wedding, which I haven't attended in more than several years. So I am trying to talk myself into having the attitude to rock them everyday, just so I can justify buying them...

Just do it !
Tomorrow
(I know its the weekend)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Call me. I'll help you. :bigsmile:
What are friends for?
EnaBLING. :kiss:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone- talked with the vendor and it is being sized and getting an appraisal and will be heading out to me in about a week. I’ll definitely take lots of pics and share details on the specs if I end up loving it in person :)

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Enabling at its finest :D

All my fine jewellery are everyday pieces and I’ve got a grand total of 8 of them. As I try to exercise restraint in ‘buying stuff’ in generaI, jewellery is reserved for very special occasions (milestone birthday, new baby etc). I’ve got 3 more everyday items on my wishlist so I think it might be a while before I’m tempted by pieces that I would wear less often.
Having said that, I do have several items of blingy costume jewellery that I’ll wear to events.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really do cost per wear analysis because then I'd find I really shouldn't have anything! Every day is a special occasion. I wear whatever makes sense.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Enabling at its finest :D

All my fine jewellery are everyday pieces and I’ve got a grand total of 8 of them. As I try to exercise restraint in ‘buying stuff’ in generaI, jewellery is reserved for very special occasions (milestone birthday, new baby etc). I’ve got 3 more everyday items on my wishlist so I think it might be a while before I’m tempted by pieces that I would wear less often.
Having said that, I do have several items of blingy costume jewellery that I’ll wear to events.

I appreciated the enabling :lol:

The only other item I have on my “list” is a pair of diamond hoop earrings, but realistically I’d probably wear those once a week, as I usually go with studs. And I can’t decide what CTW or diameter I really want for hoops so I am waiting until I have a better idea there. Otherwise I feel like my jewelry wardrobe is pretty complete with wedding/engagement ring, 2-3 RHRs, diamond stud earrings, tennis bracelet, strand of pearls and pearl studs, and a few pretty necklaces I’ve picked up over time.

I think you’re right, though, that purchases in general should be thought out and deliberate. I turn 40 soon so I was considering this my milestone birthday purchase for the year! With vintage items I always feel like there is a time sensitive aspect, and I usually just watch things until they get snapped up by someone else and I don’t feel sad about it. But this time I realized I would be really disappointed if it went home with someone else and was thinking about recreating it in the future... but it’s priced a lot lower than the sum of its parts. The whole ring was actually priced less than what a center diamond with similar specs would have been which did sway me as well.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@LLJsmom Do you have a photo of them?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any special occasions anymore. Right now I barely wear any jewelry at all.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have, or want, any.

Seeing as my SO and I do not recognize any holidays even birthdays, let alone spend a penny celebrating them, every day is the same.
It's wonderful.

So much of our culture involves brainwashing from birth to pry money out of us.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lovely necklace from Lang's Antiques that I reserve for family dinners and going out. More because I find necklaces such a pain to do up that I couldn't be bothered changing my daily necklace for any other reason.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few special occasion pieces that I wear to weddings and formal parties. I think for me it’s not so much the cost but more the size of the piece that makes it a special occasion item.
For example I have a Simon G bracelet and pendant that are both gorgeous but too extravagant (IMO) to wear everyday. The pendant doesn’t have any big diamonds but it’s just a larger piece. Same for the bracelet. I think it’s about 3 ctw but the way the diamonds are set make it seem so much larger than it is.
I have worn them to at least three different weddings though and a few other formal events.
As far as cost per wear, I don’t really factor that in. If I love it, I buy it.
Right now I have my eye on a new pair of earrings but they are in London and non-returnable. I don’t need them but I’ve wanted them for almost 2 years now. I probably won’t get as much use out of them bc they are fashion earrings but I still want them!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I do have one special occasion piece however it is not a special occasion piece because I want to save it as a special occasion piece rather it is not worn often due to it not being safe for daily wear. That is the only reason I don't wear it more often.

My Cartier Black Opal ring. I personally would not have purchased this piece (my parents bought it decades ago) mainly because I want to be able to wear whatever I want to with ease and without concern for the piece's safety. But it is stunning and when I do wear it heads turn. And I also enjoy it even when not wearing it. Just gazing at it and enjoying it off my finger too. Unfortunately during this pandemic I have been apart from it but it makes the anticipation of being reunited even more delicious so it's OK. I have toyed with the idea of bringing it back to the beach house but ultimately decided to leave it where it is safe and sound but not with me for now.

cartierblackopalandpinkdiamondband.jpg

Generally I stand by my motto not to save anything for a special occasion because each day is a gift and special. As I get older and face more challenges those words ring truer and truer. I share my thoughts not to be a downer but rather to share the opposite. Every moment is a gift and we should cherish our loved ones in life and the precious gems and jewels we love. Instead of packing them away safe and sound we should embrace them fully and enjoy them.

Of course there is no one size fits all as my black opal illustrates. But I still get pleasure from it even when not wearing it. And as other PSers have shared there is no one right way...doing what is most comfortable for each individual is the best way aka right way for that person. Be you. Do you. For you.

beyoudoyouforyou.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To feel guilty about my special occasion blings would mean feeling guilty about my special occasion everything else, including fine dining for special occasions, so I don't.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is. It’s so lovely IRL...sigh...
DD8C5A7D-5D3E-4A6D-B84C-584A1586D4CA.png

They’re beautiful @LLJsmom! I would buy them and wear them! Hopefully soon we’ll be able to go out for dinner, lunch with friends, etc. In the meantime, wear them now. Life is too short...

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
They’re beautiful @LLJsmom! I would buy them and wear them! Hopefully soon we’ll be able to go out for dinner, lunch with friends, etc. In the meantime, wear them now. Life is too short...
I really like those as well! I think they would be really wonderful to wear casually and for more dressy occasions!!! Very elegant and streamlined.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
@FL_runner I wouldnt save that for special occasions! Heck, I'd wear it with jeans and a cute tee-shirt!
I will! I guess I should have clarified- I’m not “saving” it per se, it just won’t be practical for every day. I definitely anticipate wearing it on weekends, when I go out (but not work). At work it would mean having to take it off frequently and I usually just wear stud earrings, small necklace and a wedding band, sometimes my e-ring too.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@FL_runner I love the design of your ring. So pretty and classic! I would totally snap that up!

My daily life is pretty active and I don’t get to wear my rings every day. I get a lot of joy from looking at them though. Just like having high heels in my closet or a special outfit. It gives me something to look forward to.

I hope you enjoy your new ring! We definitely want pictures when you can make them.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
@FL_runner I love the design of your ring. So pretty and classic! I would totally snap that up!

My daily life is pretty active and I don’t get to wear my rings every day. I get a lot of joy from looking at them though. Just like having high heels in my closet or a special outfit. It gives me something to look forward to.

I hope you enjoy your new ring! We definitely want pictures when you can make them.

Thank you!!!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to the party but I'm really excited for you @FL_runner this is going to be beautiful on you! I'm the queen of bling and pjs as @missy has alluded to. Nothing better than chilling out with your bling and pj's. Life really is a gift each day and I think you'll find many times to enjoy this ring. We can't wait to see it on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results