shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about public proposals?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
I went to a Halloween party at a friend''s house, and her boyfriend proposed to her at the party. They met at a Halloween party 1 year ago. It was a really sweet proposal and I am so happy for them, but I made sure to tell my boyfriend that I wouldn''t want a public proposal. He agreed that he felt the same way. We are both pretty low key and private people.

I was just wondering how you ladies feel about public proposals.

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
I, too, have told my boyfriend that I don't want a public proposal. I have seen one or two public proposals done and while I thought they were very cute and sweet, it really just isn't for me. My boyfriend now constantly drops fake hints about how he's going to propose to me at a Clippers basketball game! I'm a private type person and he's more of an exhibitionist, so hopefully he will find some sort of medium!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m the opposite -- I would LOVE a public proposal (and, as cheesy as it sounds, I would be completely fine with a Jumbotron proposal -- B hates this idea, though, so it''s not going to happen!). I wouldn''t be disappointed by a private one, but a lot of my SO''s friends have executed very clever, fun, public proposals, and I thought every one of them was awesome. I know B feels that way too, so we''re on the same page there.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Any proposal is a good proposal as far as I'm concerned.

I would say yes to him if we were alone on a mountain top or on a stage in front of 10,000 people.

I'm sure both of us will be so "in the moment" that the surroundings will just fade away.

I don't care if people see me cry, scream, jump up and down (pee my pants?).
I'm not worried if anyone will think I look dumb or foolish, because my reaction will be authentic, and I think it will be one of the most meaningful (to me) events in my life.

Basicly it will be just like winning the lottery, but better.

(eek, I didn't know I was this excited for a proposal!)

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I DO NOT want a public proposal. I am very private with my emotions and I have often in emotional situations in public acted in such a way as to hide my true feelings from others.

I do not want to have to worry about this when SO proposes. He knows this and agrees, so it should be fine.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m in two minds.

I''m very private and would find a public proposal very embaressing.

On the other hand I''d know he put some effort into it and ment it....he''s always joking around and asking me to marry him but it''s not planned or offical and I know he has a propper plan.....and there is no way I''d want to tell people that BF proposed during sex or at K-mart *sigh* I wish he wouldn''t joke so much about it, it''s kind of spoiling it for me.

brandithib

Rough_Rock
how cute, hopedream! I feel the same way. Any proposal would be great :) My FF is not shy and tends to show bouts of public courage from time to time. Heh. Yet, I sometimes think he''d be too nervous to actually propose in public..(?) so I have no idea how he''d want to propose. The proposal will be enough pressure on him, so I think whatever makes him more comfortable is fine with me.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I would care either way, though I know A is generally way more proficient at expressing himself in private. At this point, I know I will be happy with wherever and whenever he proposes. A part of me would like to have pictures recording the event (pictures are HUGELY important to me, and he knows that)...so it would have to be at least with one other person...but I think surprise is really important to him, so a random 3rd person in private might give it away, lol. So I''m guessing something semi-private is probably in order...but we''ll see!!!
4.gif

caribari

Rough_Rock
I''m kind of torn. On the one hand, I''m a pretty shy person (BF is NOT though!!), but I would love to have a picture of the moment.

I had a friend get engaged last weekend, and I loved what her fiance did. He proposed in private, at home, then took her out to dinner where he had flown their families in for the weekend, then took her out for a drink, where all their friends were waiting! Isn''t that awesome??

tlh

Ideal_Rock
If it works for the couple and is done at the APPROPRIATE public forum... I''m all for it. However if your public proposal tramps on someone else''s special moment... than it is incredibly rude IMHO. (IE proposing at someone else''s wedding... etc.)

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I want a private proposal...it just seems a little more intimate to me. However, I can understand the appeal of elaborate public proposals as well. To each his own.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i wanted, and got, a private proposal, but if things had worked out like he''d originally planned i would''ve been asked on stage at a concert (if he didn''t ask infront of our friends during the fireworks) and i would''ve been just as thrilled (but probably would''ve buryied my bright red face in his shoulder for the rest of the night)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my private proposal, and it was perfect. I loved sharing the moment together, and no one else was around.

I''m a pretty shy/introverted person, so the public proposal thing might have been too much for me to handle.
2.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 10:40:36 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I got my private proposal, and it was perfect. I loved sharing the moment together, and no one else was around.

I''m a pretty shy/introverted person, so the public proposal thing might have been too much for me to handle.
2.gif
Ditto! My private proposal was perfect. I bawled and wouldn''t have wanted anyone else around!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i had a public proposal - at our favorite resturant where i begged E to have a destination wedding (its our fav resturant!). so a proposal there was just as perfect. however, it was a small island resturant, so there was about 8 other people who saw the proposal. and i did NOT see them until 10 minutes after the fact.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I know they work for some people, but I would really hate one. I''m a very extroverted person, I love being the center of attention, but not for this. I''m very very private about how I feel about him. I don''t like being vulnerable, and the idea of having an extremely emotional moment with a bunch of people around just sounds awful.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
For me, personally, I''d be mortified. That is such an intimate time, IMO, I would hate to be in a big crowd of people! It wouldn''t be an accurate reflection of our relationship in general (we''re private), so it''d be really weird and awkward.

But, I have to admit, I LOVE seeing pictures of proposals. I''ll just have to settle for my mental picture though (hopefully
26.gif
)

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I woudl be happy either way, but as a pretty over-the-top person I woudl LOVE something public and elaborate!

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t like a public proposal, and I think my BF would be better off proposing in private, or at least mostly private. He is a private person when it comes to our relationship and his feelings toward me, and it would seem weird if he tried to propose some really public way, like on a jumbotron. I''d be fine if he proposed with people nearby, like say, close enough to see him down on one knee but not close enough to hear his actual proposal.

Although I''d just be glad for any proposal, really.
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
No public proposal for me! I prefer those moments to be in private, and thankfully BF feels the same way!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I never thought I would have a public proposal because my DH is just very private and very quiet. But he really wanted to include a number of people that worked on the engagement with him and I loved my quite public proposal. He did it at a private party we had before a huge ball in Dallas and after everyone congratulated us on the engagement, we quietly slipped away to our hotel and spent the rest of the night waking up our family to share the happy news.

I was so thrilled that he asked me to be his wife, it never occurred to me to think if I liked or disliked the way he asked me! Plus, I have sooooo many pictures of the proposal because it was so public and everyone was in on it!

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
I think I''d prefer a private proposal because like other said, it''s an intimate moment. BUT I also think it''d be great to have pictures and/or video of it for later, so I don''t know!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to be rather private regarding my emotions and relationship, so I would probably prefer a private proposal. Though as someone else said, I''m fine with someone being close enough to see that it''s a proposal but not to actually hear the proposal. My bf is likely to do a private proposal anyway, considering his personality, but if he decided to do a big public one I''d still probably be fine with it. After all, he will have asked me to spend the rest of my life with him!

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
If you''d asked me before I would have said I don''t want a public proposal but...my fiance proposed to me at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France - not the least bit private but it was AMAZING and UNFORGETABLE.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 11:20:54 AM
Author: princesss
I know they work for some people, but I would really hate one. I''m a very extroverted person, I love being the center of attention, but not for this. I''m very very private about how I feel about him. I don''t like being vulnerable, and the idea of having an extremely emotional moment with a bunch of people around just sounds awful.

Ditto. I''m not shy at all but I really want my proposal to be about me and him for at least a few hours before we share it with the rest of the world.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
not for us.

Express

Rough_Rock
I would definitely prefer a private proposal. My boyfriend knows that I would be mortified if he did it in public.
emembarrassed.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I got a ''public proposal''! At my family reunion! I couldn''t have planned it more perfectly myself, though I was too shocked to react very much. Private would be more intimate, but I would gladly sacrifice that for the joy that it brought for my family to be a part of that moment. It was so exciting for EVERYONE! Personally, I''d take a public proposal and a private wedding. Guess I''m backwards!
3.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Trill, I''m on your team there. Public proposal and private wedding/elopement sounds awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results