shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about invisible set rings?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idk if I'm using the correct term but I would call this ring an invisible set bc it is made up of small baguette diamonds. I really liked this ring bc I love the overall setting and effect. But It sort of feels like cheating bc it appears to be a larger diamond. it would be forum right hand finger. What are your feelings on invisible set rings? You image_4106.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're talking about those pieces where the diamond is held by metal 'rails' that slide into grooves cut into the girdle of the diamonds.
When more than one is set next to each other this can give the appearance of a larger diamond for a much lower cost.
No prongs or bezels are visible or reducing how much of the diamond you see.

You wrote, "But It sort of feels like cheating bc it appears to be a larger diamond."
I guess you could see it that way.
It seems rather unkind though.
Not everyone who wants a large diamond can afford one.
Would you also call halo diamond rings cheating?
If so, don your flame suit.
Many here have and love their halo rings.

Back to invisible-settings ... of course it's not the exact same thing.
If you put one well-cut 7 mm emerald cut next to 6 tiny emerald cuts that are invisibly-set to also add up to 7 mm the 6 small ones (even if cut just as well) will not have the same appearance.
Every flash will be a sixth the size and there will be six times as many flashes.
That's a very different look.
It's not 'bad' ... after all many people love the crushed ice look of radiants with their tiny but very numerous flashes.

Personally I prefer one single diamond of whatever size I can afford.
To each their own, I say.

FWIW, here's a Whiteflash blurb on Invisible settings.

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/ring-setting-types-invisible-1075.htm

screen_shot_2015-12-06_at_2.png

screen_shot_2015-12-06_at_0.png

screen_shot_2015-12-06_at_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other people of course can purchase whatever they want. If they love them, then it does the goal.

But I hate them.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had one as a right hand ring once upon a time. All was well until one stone moved a bit. It was sent back for repairs twice and was never quite the same again. From that was born my Memoire five stone so it worked out for me! However, I would never own one again as they can be problematic and almost impossible to correctly fix.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recall reading that they're pretty fragile, since a groove is actually cut into the side of the diamond to allow the diamonds to fit together so "seamlessly."

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where's the ring from, which you pictured in your original post?

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock
My opinion is that they are a very clever way to get a beautiful ring when budget limits the stone size.

Budget is a factor in most people's purchase of an engagement ring and if your budget restricts you from getting the size stone you want, then you should feel free to explore options like this that will allow you to have more sparkle for your money.

If halos are the push up bras of e-rings, then cluster settings are those little rubbery padded cutlets you stick inside the bra. As long as you like the end look, you should do it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HockeyChick|1449456216|3958404 said:
If halos are the push up bras of e-rings ...
Uh Oh!

:lol:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the ring in your photo but I'd worry about the cleaning aspect. So I won't go for it. Even with diamond bands, I need side exposure (eg u prong) or azure for ease of cleaning.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Have seen a ring with stones set in a way that looks like a row of emeralds. It was very blingy and pretty.

I don't quite appreciate those that make into rounds though - they just look too flat and often with visible lines.

From others' posts, seems like there might be cleaning and durability issue to consider though.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny said:

How interesting! I have a pendant with princess cuts in an invisible setting. Not a fan of princesses, but I like it somehow because it's all glitter, more intense than the crushed ice cushions I have ever seen. I have always wondered how the stones can sit together like that!

I am a bit curious though, how do the grooves affect the cut of the diamonds? Is it really possible to cut grooves without disturbing light return?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I personally do not like anything about them, I would rather have one small diamond than many put together to make it look like a bigger diamond. What works for one person may not work for others.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan of invisible set rings (in large part because I would also feel like I'm cheating), BUT, that is a very nice invisible set ring. The design is pretty and I do like how the main "emerald" cut is put together.

If you like it, go for it, especially since it's not an e-ring. I feel invisible sets are less "cheat-y" with right hand rings, as costume and other types of jewellery are more commonly worn.

(I do apologize to anyone who has an e-ring with an invisible set. I'm not trying to be judgy. This is one of those instances where it's a bit of a gut-feel for me - that there's something a bit off about an invisible set where the general custom is a single main stone for an e-ring.)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought one once...back in about 2001 I was in love.....my hubby not so much...but if I was happy he didn't care, I actually bought it at a mall store..I kept it about a week and then took it back...it was too much money at that time.. then hubby bought my princess cut so I did keep that one. I like they way the invisible rings looked back then a lot of bling for less money. After I got my princess cut I talked to my new jeweler about invisible set rings and he said that they were not a good choice because once one of the stones comes out or got loose it is difficult to get the ring to ever be the same again...and it looks like MissGotRocks had that experience, so my opinion is if you like it get it..but I wouldn't wear it on a daily basis.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the ring. The one pictured first looks pretty. Some are not my taste at all. I used to have a pair of huggies that had little invisible set princess diamonds around the hoop and they were stunning.

I see invisible set rings all the time on craig's list for huge prices. Usually the listing says 2 carats or something and doesn't mention that it's 2 ctw. That always bugs me.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never knew they had a ridge filed into them. Can dirt get trapped there? I'm just imagining how dirt gets trapped in bezels. The ridges seems easier?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
madelise|1449497748|3958528 said:
I never knew they had a ridge filed into them. Can dirt get trapped there? I'm just imagining how dirt gets trapped in bezels. The ridges seems easier?

Off topic but I'm curious. Madelise, do you mean dirt get trapped in the girdle when stone is bezeled? I thought the diamond is tightly wrapped be metal and no dirt will get to the girdle, no? (I'mm referring to bezel with open gallery, not all covered type.)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them! I think they are very clever: they give a big, blingy look without the price tag. For people who don't want to spend a lot on one big stone, they are a great choice.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
All the ones I've seen in person had crappy diamonds, that was enough to turn me off from them. That first one pictured looked better than any I've seen.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1449600074|3959037 said:
All the ones I've seen in person had crappy diamonds, that was enough to turn me off from them. That first one pictured looked better than any I've seen.
+1 to all of this. Before your first photo, I haven't seen one that I've liked. I guess it feels a bit like cheating, and makes me sad that someone wants to 'fake' it. I feel the same with Moss.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are a great look, but I would avoid like the plague. My original engagement ring was 12 small princess cuts made into 3 quads, giving the illusion of 3 large princess diamonds. My daughter dropped it onto the slate kitchen floor, the diamonds bumped together & one cracked. Three independent jewellers examined it & said it wasn't financially viable to repair it. My insurance wrote it off & stated it "wasn't fit for everyday wear & was an occasion ring" and thus if I replaced it with the same, they wouldn't cover it.

If you do go ahead, be careful about how you treat it :errrr:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are pretty much unrepairable. They slide the grooved diamonds into a frame, sort of like drawers sliding into a cabinet. The problem is that if one diamond pops out, all the other diamonds in that channel are loose and there's no way to put the diamond back in without disassembling the whole ring.

Occasionally you'll find a jeweler who claims they repair them. They use glue.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1449600074|3959037 said:

I agree. It is pretty. I wouldn't buy it, though. I'd rather get a sim or smaller diamond than an invisible set ring, but that's just my preference.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Malala, thanks for educating us about invisible set diamond jewelry. Also thanks to those who commented about the durability and repair issues. Now that I know, I shall stay away for sure. You have saved me money, although I have never considered invisible set jewelry before.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I really think it depends on how well the setting is executed. Some of them are very clever and look wonderful, and some are awful. The one you posted looks great. I wouldn't have know it wasn't one diamond.

In terms of "cheating" - no way! Not everyone can afford one large diamond and even if they can, not everyone wants to. I think a ring that is small diamonds that look like one large one is a very sensible and clever way to get a great look for much less money. Let's face it, diamonds are ridiculously expensive.

But it has to be very well-done. That princess Kenny posted consisting of four squares looks awful, whereas the one you posted looks great.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Hey OP - I saved this post from Instagram a while ago thinking that it was, not exactly an invisible set ring but, sort of a similar idea. I thought from the IG photo that it was a small square step cut stone surrounded by four baguettes, one on each side, all being prong set.

Before posting here I checked Erstwhile's site to see if I could find a better picture and, lo and behold, it's actually just one asscher cut stone. Whoops! But I wanted to post it anyway because I do think you could create something similar to what I *thought* this ring was, with prongs, which would give you a larger look but without some concerns of an invisible set ring. I would totally do something like that for right hand ring.

erstwhile.jpg

esterwhile1.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1449444698|3958356 said:
I had one as a right hand ring once upon a time. All was well until one stone moved a bit. It was sent back for repairs twice and was never quite the same again. From that was born my Memoire five stone so it worked out for me! However, I would never own one again as they can be problematic and almost impossible to correctly fix.

Ditto!!. Don't do it. I beg! My second setting had .75 cts of princess cut invisible set diamonds on the sides (each side). Spent more time in the shop than on my fonger4. Nightmare. Total nightmare. Traded setting in to be ripped apart bc cpuldnt take it any more.... and made a super wide channel set band adding RB diamonds. Love it!

Horrible experience. If u mean the rail set invisible.........run....run....then run more. Then run.

NIGHTMARE of a 18k $4,000 dang setting! Trashed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results