shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you describe seafoam green?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
How do you describe seafoam green?

Any photos?

Is it as pretty and intriguing of a color in real life as I''ve seen in the photos?

And, I guess the most common stone to find it in is tourmaline?

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seafoam is a shade of colour that we romanticize, much like pigeon’s blood red, Caribbean blue, sunset pink orange and the like. Just as with any colour in nature, there are variations within each colour scheme which could be better and more accurately described. I believe that the colour you are referring to is a light blue green or light green blue. It is a colour that I am partial to so, naturally, I will say it is an attractive colour.
9.gif
Yes, this colour is more commonly found in tourmalines but it is still a rather uncommon colour for a tourmaline.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
-- Seafoam is a shade of colour that we romanticize --

Thanks Chrono. I think that is part of why I asked.

I''m not really a blue green person but I do love the color of seafoam at the beach. I don''t know if that translates to stones. I think my favorite seafoam would be a lighter green with a touch of blue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Equal parts green and blue, in a medium to medium light tone. I have one that I consider a definite seafoam green color. I will try to get pics later.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
like this
5.gif
30.gif

cushion tourm JW AJ1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup, that’s what I don’t mind considering seafoam. It is more of a light bluish green: predominant green with a blue undertone. AJ, that stone is really beautiful, isn’t it?

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi!

Although not a sample of a cut stone, I''ve attached a photo of a 30+ ct piece of tourmaline rough. I had the privilege to literally paw through a 3 kilo parcel immediately before the 2006 Tucson show - I think this may have been some of the first of this material imported to the U.S. as the Seafoam Green color. It was thrilling to see the parcel opened direct from customs. My six year old daughter was with me at the time and she was able to pick though it too!

I think this may have been my second or third attempt at gem photography too.

Seafoam Tourmaline OWG.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff,
That’s really nice material. Has it been faceted yet?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 9:30:59 AM
Author: arjunajane
like this
5.gif
30.gif
A bit too grey for my seafoam green taste. Sorry.

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Not by me unfortunately. That rough was actually traded back to the importer at considerable profit - enough to purchase my Fac-Ette faceting machine. He had presold the entire parcel before Tucson and was happy to get a couple pieces back months later.

The material on this site is from the same parcel (I think) via New York. At least I''m guessing it is from the same parcel - the timing works out. They actually trade marked the name!

Jeff

http://www.columbiagemhouse.com/newAfghan.html There are a number of good photos showing the true colors.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 9:44:30 AM
Author: Jeffrey Hunt
Hi!

Although not a sample of a cut stone, I've attached a photo of a 30+ ct piece of tourmaline rough. I had the privilege to literally paw through a 3 kilo parcel immediately before the 2006 Tucson show - I think this may have been some of the first of this material imported to the U.S. as the Seafoam Green color. It was thrilling to see the parcel opened direct from customs. My six year old daughter was with me at the time and she was able to pick though it too!

I think this may have been my second or third attempt at gem photography too.
That reminds me of my piece of rough I'm going to have cut, except mine is a tad bit more blue. I call that scope green or mint color. I guess it's subjective as to what people consider seafoam green, but I think maybe my rough tourmaline is a bit more green than blue. I like to think of seafoam green as having a bit more blue. Here are some rings that they call seafoam green on another website.

http://www.myjewelrysource.com/sea-foam-green-tourmaline.htm

Some of the rings on the site are a bit too green for me to consider them seafoam green, but again, it's subjective.

This stone is what I consider a pure seafoam green color and it reminds me of the cut tourmaline I already have. Equal parts blue and green. It's really hard to find these stones without the grey in them, and even this one has some grey.

http://www.myjewelrysource.com/green-tourmaline-rings/gr9155-seafoam-tourmaline-ring.htm

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a little lighter than the Jeff White stone AJ posted, but I think it counts
1.gif

BEGJWTourm99.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Both JW stones are gorgeous.
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 9:34:34 AM
Author: Chrono

Yup, that’s what I don’t mind considering seafoam. It is more of a light bluish green: predominant green with a blue undertone. AJ, that stone is really beautiful, isn’t it?

It's def. one of my faves C, as far as cutting goes (I have asked JW to model this style for my sapphire)
2.gif
And the colour ain't too bad either.

Sure, for once I can see a lil gray in the photo (TL, you see gray in everything!);
but I still think it's a beautiful stone overall.
(After all, I don't really consider it fair to make definitive "that stone has gray" comments just from one online photo..)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 11:00:25 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Mine is a little lighter than the Jeff White stone AJ posted, but I think it counts
1.gif

of course it does - such a bright stone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 11:26:04 AM

It''s def. one of my faves C, as far as cutting goes (I have asked JW to model this style for my sapphire)
2.gif
And the colour ain''t too bad either.

Sure, for once I can see a lil gray in the photo (TL, you see gray in everything!);
but I still think it''s a beautiful stone overall.
(After all, I don''t really consider it fair to make definitive ''that stone has gray'' comments just from one online photo..)
True, I''m very sensitive to grey in gems, in particular blue/green gems. I have never been crazy about that stone on JW''s page, but the cutting is very nice. I have a blue/green JW tourmaline a bit more saturated than that. Some people might consider it seafoam (a bit too much blue for me to consider it seafoam). I''ll have to get pics done of that with my other seafoam and post them. The colors on both stones are very similar, but one has a tad bit more blue than the other. Both have grey (to my eyes - LOL!!).

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 11:34:36 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

It''s def. one of my faves C, as far as cutting goes (I have asked JW to model this style for my sapphire)
2.gif

(After all, I don''t really consider it fair to make definitive ''that stone has gray'' comments just from one online photo..)

True, I''m very sensitive to grey in gems, in particular blue/green gems. I have never been crazy about that stone on JW''s page, but the cutting is very nice. I have a blue/green JW tourmaline a bit more saturated than that. Some people might consider it seafoam (a bit too much blue for me to consider it seafoam). I''ll have to get pics done of that with my other seafoam and post them. The colors on both stones are very similar, but one has a tad bit more blue than the other. Both have grey (to my eyes - LOL!!).

Well, I would be keen for one to see your pics.
I must admit, often times when you say a gem has gray, I don''t see anything!

I don''t think anyone could ever accuse TL of not seeing the world in shades of gray at least
2.gif
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I apologize in advance if I''ll confuse you further with my interpretation; seafoam = slightly warmer shade of minty
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 11:38:32 AM

Date: 10/13/2009 11:34:36 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

2.gif

Well, I would be keen for one to see your pics.
I must admit, often times when you say a gem has gray, I don''t see anything!

I don''t think anyone could ever accuse TL of not seeing the world in shades of gray at least
2.gif
3.gif

LOL AJJ!! Some people, not all, are overly sensitive to certain colors. I think when a stone is less vivid in saturation of color, the secondary modifier is playing a role there, whether people see it or not. For me, that JW tourmaline shouts grey, and yet some people don''t see it. It''s really difficult to find blue/green tourmalines without grey in them, and that''s why paraibas and chrome tourmalines are so valued in the blue green family. For example, here''s a blue/green tourmaline without any grey to my eyes. It a very very rare color, and it''s an Afghan stone. It may not be seafoam green, but it has both blue and green in it, but it''s very saturated.

http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=1598&id=4811

ma re

Ideal_Rock
^The thing is, if a color is very saturated, people don''t see it as a seafoam green anymore. It''s strange, I know. So I''m not sure if you can have a seafoam green without any grey.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a link to a couple John Dyer Seafoam tourmalines, complete with seafoam waves. And if that doesn''t grab you he''s got some Lagoon beryl on this site too!

I wonder if this seafoam material came from the same parcel that Jeff was talking about?

Anyway one of the seafoam tourmalines is on sale ......

Here it is

JD seafoam tourmaline 01.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 12:01:22 PM
Author: ma re
^The thing is, if a color is very saturated, people don''t see it as a seafoam green anymore. It''s strange, I know. So I''m not sure if you can have a seafoam green without any grey.
Good observation, that thought crossed my mind as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 12:40:29 PM
Author: Gailey
Here's a link to a couple John Dyer Seafoam tourmalines, complete with seafoam waves. And if that doesn't grab you he's got some Lagoon beryl on this site too!

I wonder if this seafoam material came from the same parcel that Jeff was talking about?

Anyway one of the seafoam tourmalines is on sale ......

Here it is
That's the exact color of my tourmaline. I got mine on ebay and it has an inclusion, but it's not distracting. I think my stone is a tad bit lighter in tone though, that one seems kind of dark. The lagoon tourmaline is more blue than green, reminicent of a light toned and saturated cuprian.

ETA: Mine looks more like the 3.79 on that page. It's an emerald cut and 2.5 carats.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ack - Gailey, any stone with a price tag of upward of $3,000.00, I can''t consider *on sale*, even if it is.

The top photo, the one AJ put up, is awesome.

Now, don''t cringe but I think I like a touch of grey in seafoams. It makes it more the color of real seafoam, no?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonoma,
You are correct about having a touch of gray in seafoams because that’s what it sort of looks like in nature, doesn’t it? I don’t believe I’ve seen any shocking or vivid bluish green foamy water.
9.gif
As for the price, I’m the type who would rather have a single outstanding $3K stone instead of 10 $300 stones, so if you look at it that way, aren’t they worth the same?
11.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I''ve just had to turn my laptop off (not charging) and I''ve logged on to my desktop and I''m just staggered at the difference in colour of the tourmaline pic I posted as compared with my other Dell. I had no idea that there could be that much of a variance. Time to calibrate my monitors I think.

You know, the longer I spend immersed in this hobby, the more I have to agree with Chrono. Yes, $3k is a lot of money and I doubt I will spend anything like that anytime soon. That being said, I would rather have one stone of a higher quality than more stones of a lesser quality. I think tastes refine and one becomes a lot more discerning, the more we learn.

Still not sold on the bright vivid colours though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2009 1:56:00 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Ack - Gailey, any stone with a price tag of upward of $3,000.00, I can't consider *on sale*, even if it is.

The top photo, the one AJ put up, is awesome.

Now, don't cringe but I think I like a touch of grey in seafoams. It makes it more the color of real seafoam, no?
Thanks for helping me realize that's probably the reason I'm not a huge fan of seafoam green. LOL!! To each his own. Some people like the muted color (grey component helps there) and some people don't. Some people dislike vivid garrish paraibas because the color is too intense.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I consider my vanadium chrysoberyl to be seafoam green and I don''t see any grey in it.

kiz-asring1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my JW seafoam-like tourmaline (his picture). I see grey in it. I might sell it one of these days.

TLseafoamJW.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results