shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide when to buy the real thing and when to buy the costume version?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for disclosure and knowing nothing about hand bags :lol-2:
i did not know the ones i favour are a knock off
a friend recognised it
I can't even remember the name of the original im so disinterested in handbags
I just thought wow ! That's pretty
I wear one handbag completly out at a time

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s important to wear what you buy. Not much point in having beautiful and expensive pieces if they live in a safe or bank vault never seeing the light of day.
My preference is always pre loved. I love a bargain but I also love the quality of workmanship that these days is often lacking, or frightfully expensive.
My sister spent $5,000 on two vintage Chanel Necklaces!
I was shocked, no precious metal and no real gems. Yikes. But she loves them and wears one or the other at least once a week. To her, that’s a good investment - both for enjoyment and wearability.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its like a dress or shoes or a nice bag, a winter coat even
Divide it by the number off times it is worn to get a cost to wear value

If a cheaper item isnt worn its not a good buy either
If an expensive item like an ER or say an every day necklaces is worn and enjoyed every day its excellent value for money

Sometimes i divide the cost of the item into my hourly rate to see if im happy spending that many day's work on something

my $70 handbags get every last cent worn out of them :lol-2:
(Im just not into handbags)

My fine jewlery has not been worn nearly enough to justify the money spent

But the night is just a pup

I am the same I wear a bag out like mad (my daughter keeps telling me to replace it) but will most happily spend on jewels

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Ok now I want to see this Neil lane ring!

Also I like your strategy. Thanks for explaining!

Thank you! I am having the ring resized, along with several others. I should have it back in hand tomorrow, and I will post pictures. I'm not sure if this happens to everyone, but when I entered my forties, my fingers got thinner, even though I didn't lose any weight. I'm having to size almost all my rings down a quarter size, except for the thicker bands that still work at a size 5.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get myself to buy costume jewelry. I guess that's my "mind clean" thing. I can't get into synthetic colored stones or lab diamonds either. It's not right or wrong, it's just something I mentally have that won't let me buy "fake" stuff. (and yes, I know lab diamonds are not fake diamonds). I have never purchased a counterfeit designer handbag either. So the cost consideration is only "do I want it and am I willing to pay the price". If the answer is that I'm not willing to pay the price I just don't buy it.

I am the same

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you practice adding and removing split rings a couple good chains can service several different pendants.*
That makes a good chain a better investment.

Silver chains are "real" and as long as your body chemistry is compatible they look good too.

*depending on the pendant design removing the split ring may or may not be needed.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Historically I have bought what I liked and could afford at the time. Sometimes it was costume jewelry, sometimes real.

I'm in my mid 60s now and as I look back, I see that nothing has stayed the same over time. Neither my tastes in jewelry nor my ability-- or willingness-- to spend money on jewelry (vs. spending on my other interests). For that matter, the same holds true for my other hobbies.

The only constant in life is change. Make peace with that, and buy what you like, and can afford, now.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Ok now I want to see this Neil lane ring!

Also I like your strategy. Thanks for explaining!

My Neil Lane ring came back early. Pictures below, as promised. I wish I could capture the milgrain detailing better. Sterling silver with tiny diamonds.
IMG_6481.jpg IMG_6482.jpg IMG_6483.jpg

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Historically I have bought what I liked and could afford at the time. Sometimes it was costume jewelry, sometimes real.

I'm in my mid 60s now and as I look back, I see that nothing has stayed the same over time. Neither my tastes in jewelry nor my ability-- or willingness-- to spend money on jewelry (vs. spending on my other interests). For that matter, the same holds true for my other hobbies.

The only constant in life is change. Make peace with that, and buy what you like, and can afford, now.

Wise words! I’m going to think about this a lot today!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wear costume jewelry because it gives me eczema. Now I only buy things I’m sure I will wear. I have lots of purchases I never wear. I tend to use the same things every day.
Every day look: eternity band, bracelets, hoops or studs and a pendant

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I am having the ring resized, along with several others. I should have it back in hand tomorrow, and I will post pictures. I'm not sure if this happens to everyone, but when I entered my forties, my fingers got thinner, even though I didn't lose any weight. I'm having to size almost all my rings down a quarter size, except for the thicker bands that still work at a size 5.

No !
This doesn't happen to everyone
I would think if anything its the other way :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think you make a very value point about making piece with what you buy

Sometimes we get a bargain and other times we might have got done but you can still rediscover the love for something that hurt you

this is what im working on
i kind of like the things i brought in the 90s early 00s again
And i still love one particular costume piece i brought in 1989
(my dream is to have it remade with real pearls and gold wire)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you practice adding and removing split rings a couple good chains can service several different pendants.*
That makes a good chain a better investment.

Silver chains are "real" and as long as your body chemistry is compatible they look good too.

*depending on the pendant design removing the split ring may or may not be needed.

Thank you so much for posting this. I needed an idea to do charm bracelets for my girls and did not want to solder the charms.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much for posting this. I needed an idea to do charm bracelets for my girls and did not want to solder the charms.

Some people will recommend jump rings, do not use them for that.
They do look more jewellery like but they are a lot weaker

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of semi-precious, sterling silver, and lab-stone jewelry but that is because I like them, not as substitutes for fine jewelry. I do not have much plastic/plated stuff or any intentional knockoffs. If I want precious metals or natural untreated stones, I save for them.

The catch is that I do not get much wear out of large stones or ornate settings. So the all the small natural diamonds/gems in simple 14k gold settings that I have are not really sacrifices.

I wanted a diamond tennis bracelet and was undecided between lab grown and earth grown. So I put it on my Christmas list and let Santa decide. He picked lab, and now having worn it nearly everyday, I will have a hard time in the future paying for earth grown diamonds.

Don’t know if that answered the question but it’s been fun reading everyone’s replies.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mother had nice middle class jewlery for her day
i can hardly remember her wearing costume - bearly even a fun set of beads - or even silver
Last year, in a box of 'junk' from her estate my sister sent me, i came across a really odd and very large 9k rose gold ring
mum didn't wear 9k and it was so large and tarnished i wondered how it could ever have been grandma's either so im thinking maybe a beach find ?
I keep saying this :lol-2: (at band camp) but im taking it to the jewlers tomorrow to find out if its synthetic tourmaline or pretty glass
either way i love the setting and plan to reuse it and maybe set the stone/ glass in an inexpensive silver pendent setting because i love all the facets of its cut, custume it may be but it cheered me up at a sad time =)2 and it deserves some love back in return

Ok and maybe i want to get back at my sister ;)2

Sorry to keep repeating this story
i need better stories :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I "try out" something in costume jewelry to see if it's something I'll enjoy wearing before investing in a pricier piece. I'd had diamond huggies on my wishlist forever, but after wearing a CZ-replica for a day, I realized that I am not just not an earring person and I'd never wear diamond huggies enough.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I am the same I wear a bag out like mad (my daughter keeps telling me to replace it) but will most happily spend on jewels

Same as me you too. Use the same bag for work every day which I bought from eBay. It’s falling to bits. None of my bags or shoes are expensive - if only end up spilling cola on them or having the dog chew them up.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried a cheap imitation Cartier rolling ring and found I didn’t like it on me at all. Same with the screw on bracelet. I felt trapped so now I wont buy the real thing.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I tried a cheap imitation Cartier rolling ring and found I didn’t like it on me at all. Same with the screw on bracelet. I felt trapped so now I wont buy the real thing.

I did the same thing with a sterling silver rolling ring! But I did rather like it and now I wear a Cartier Trinity about 90% of the time =)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inspired by this thread, I just bought a 7 dollar fake baguette eternity which is super cute but I am too paranoid to wear it for fear that it will turn my finger green. And I can’t help but think what a waste of money it was. Like. I could have bought a socks instead. So this will be the last costume purchase for me. Lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inspired by this thread, I just bought a 7 dollar fake baguette eternity which is super cute but I am too paranoid to wear it for fear that it will turn my finger green. And I can’t help but think what a waste of money it was. Like. I could have bought a socks instead. So this will be the last costume purchase for me. Lol

Got any clear nail polish ?

A little bit similar to you i brought some costume pearl earrings at xmas
I just wanted to try out the style
But they feel so gross and look so fake i havn't even tried them on

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very tempted to get some fabulous repro brooches in CZ as I can never afford them IRL.

DK :))

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I am very tempted to get some fabulous repro brooches in CZ as I can never afford them IRL.

Where do they even sell something like that?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

If I had it to do over again I would first think about what my fantasy or dream ring and earrings would be. I would work toward purchasing those real genuine stones. I think a gold necklace is usually fashionable, so might also purchase that.
Any other jewelry could be fashion jewelry for variety and trying new styles. I feel I bought too much real stuff and I don't appreciate it enough anymore. I have bought CZ rings, and when I go into a jewelry store they always ask me if they can clean my rings. So, I figure they must look real, and thats fine with me. I spent too much money on my jewelry. But that's hindsight.

Annette

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Do it !

On my do-able wish list is having my favourite costume brooch of grandma's remade in silver

The amount id need in gold makes it not an option but that's ok

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

This happened (and is still happening) to me too. We all (men & women) lose bone mass and lean tissue mass as we age. Yes, many people gain weight as they age so their bone/lean tissue loss isn't noticeable. But for those of us who stay at a steady weight all our life, the shrinkage is noticeable. My rings have all gotten looser over time. I can definitely see loss of plumpness in my neck (its getting sinewy), face and hands.

I pointed out a "lump" on my jawline to my doctor because it was worrying me. Turns out is not a lump, just loose skin because of the bone loss in my chin/jawbone. Yikes. Now I'm noticing the same lump on most folks over 45/50. Aging ain't for the squeamish!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results