shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide when to buy the real thing and when to buy the costume version?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I want a gold chain necklace- but I’m not sure if this is just a trendy want or a lifetime investment piece.

How do you decide when to invest in the real thing, and when to buy the fashion version?

Someone once posted about considering the value of your whole collection, and how high you’d be comfortable with that number being. It’s giving me pause. If I own 25-50 $2000 items… that’s a huge value locked away! Feels weird to me!

But considering a $2k gold necklace on its own doesn’t feel weird.

Anyone have ideas or a rubric they follow? I’m wondering this about pearls and lab created stones… when to invest in real and when does cheap and cheerful make more sense?

I seem to invest mostly in rings because I know the costume fashion version doesn’t last well. What do you do?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its like a dress or shoes or a nice bag, a winter coat even
Divide it by the number off times it is worn to get a cost to wear value

If a cheaper item isnt worn its not a good buy either
If an expensive item like an ER or say an every day necklaces is worn and enjoyed every day its excellent value for money

Sometimes i divide the cost of the item into my hourly rate to see if im happy spending that many day's work on something

my $70 handbags get every last cent worn out of them :lol-2:
(Im just not into handbags)

My fine jewlery has not been worn nearly enough to justify the money spent

But the night is just a pup

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want a gold chain necklace- but I’m not sure if this is just a trendy want or a lifetime investment piece.

How do you decide when to invest in the real thing, and when to buy the fashion version?

Someone once posted about considering the value of your whole collection, and how high you’d be comfortable with that number being. It’s giving me pause. If I own 25-50 $2000 items… that’s a huge value locked away! Feels weird to me!

But considering a $2k gold necklace on its own doesn’t feel weird.

Anyone have ideas or a rubric they follow? I’m wondering this about pearls and lab created stones… when to invest in real and when does cheap and cheerful make more sense?

I seem to invest mostly in rings because I know the costume fashion version doesn’t last well. What do you do?

To answer you more specificity pearls comes in all price points
you can get really great freshwater ones for a responsible price
if you want to buy pearls pop over to the pearl page and our pear Princesss will be more than happy to help you

the price of gold is so bigh right now
i don't know if now is the best time to buy a substantial gold chain?

I think its very hard to manage jewlery as an investment
Read some of the posts here, its seems quite difficult to sell for anything but a loss
Better to buy jewlery for enjoyment in the right now in my book anyway

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get myself to buy costume jewelry. I guess that's my "mind clean" thing. I can't get into synthetic colored stones or lab diamonds either. It's not right or wrong, it's just something I mentally have that won't let me buy "fake" stuff. (and yes, I know lab diamonds are not fake diamonds). I have never purchased a counterfeit designer handbag either. So the cost consideration is only "do I want it and am I willing to pay the price". If the answer is that I'm not willing to pay the price I just don't buy it.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Its like a dress or shoes or a nice bag, a winter coat even
Divide it by the number off times it is worn to get a cost to wear value

If a cheaper item isnt worn its not a good buy either
If an expensive item like an ER or say an every day necklaces is worn and enjoyed every day its excellent value for money

Sometimes i divide the cost of the item into my hourly rate to see if im happy spending that many day's work on something

my $70 handbags get every last cent worn out of them :lol-2:
(Im just not into handbags)

My fine jewlery has not been worn nearly enough to justify the money spent

But the night is just a pup

Very wise! I will think of cost per wear and go from there :)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I can't get myself to buy costume jewelry. I guess that's my "mind clean" thing. I can't get into synthetic colored stones or lab diamonds either. It's not right or wrong, it's just something I mentally have that won't let me buy "fake" stuff. (and yes, I know lab diamonds are not fake diamonds). I have never purchased a counterfeit designer handbag either. So the cost consideration is only "do I want it and am I willing to pay the price". If the answer is that I'm not willing to pay the price I just don't buy it.

How do you decide if you really want it, or if it’s just the flavour of the week?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you decide if you really want it, or if it’s just the flavour of the week?

Well, I don't buy things just because they are popular and I'm old enough to have learned from my past mistakes as to what my real style/taste is. But it took some time to get there. Luckily, the jewelry that I have/had that turned out to not be what I would like long term, could generally be repurposed/reset so that it didn't turn into a total loss. But, and it's a big but, I didn't start spending a significant amount of money on jewelry in my 20's or 30's. If I had, I'd probably be resetting a lot more things. So perhaps age has something to do with it and if you are fairly young, buying the piece in costume might be the wisest choice since you may not still like it in 10 years.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don't buy things just because they are popular and I'm old enough to have learned from my past mistakes as to what my real style/taste is. But it took some time to get there. Luckily, the jewelry that I have/had that turned out to not be what I would like long term, could generally be repurposed/reset so that it didn't turn into a total loss. But, and it's a big but, I didn't start spending a significant amount of money on jewelry in my 20's or 30's. If I had, I'd probably be resetting a lot more things. So perhaps age has something to do with it and if you are fairly young, buying the piece in costume might be the wisest choice since you may not still like it in 10 years.

This is really interesting and thoughtful advice. May I ask around which age you began spending more, and really knowing your own style?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm going to go look in my jewelry box and figure out which of my older pieces I still really like and then I'll come back and answer. Give me a little time.

Okay, so looking at the older things that I have that I still wear and enjoy, I probably started getting a handle on my long term likes in my mid-40's. I still made some mistakes, but fewer and fewer. I still make some now when I see a piece that I love, but don't think enough about whether it suits me. But again, I can generally regroup and reset into something that makes more sense for me.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unlike gold, stocks, bonds, and real estate, I don't see jewelry as an investment.
Why?
You have to pay retail for jewelry, but then have to sell at wholesale, maybe even for just scrap metal prices. :knockout:
If wholesale is half retail you have to wait years/decades for it to appreciate to just break even - and if it looks dated and fallen out of style its value may go down.
So much for the investment.
Also it's not liquid, selling is hard; people who buy such luxury goods (of possibly questionable-authenticity) feel safer buying from a legit retailer than from a stranger.
Then there's the very real safety/security concern of meeting the "buyer".

IMO the only jewelry that may qualify as an investment is something good enough and expensive enough for Sotheby's or Christies to accept it for auction.
Then, they take a substantial cut.

I say, buy jewelry because you love it.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say, buy jewelry because you love it.
Absolutely. But I think the OP was thinking more about buying something that is "current" in style and my fall out of favor and if that indicates that you should buy costume pieces in that style instead of putting money into the real thing. Not necessarily b/c you think of the real thing as an investment to get a return on, but whether you will still love it in a few years when it falls out of fashion.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. But I think the OP was thinking more about buying something that is "current" in style and my fall out of favor and if that indicates that you should buy costume pieces in that style instead of putting money into the real thing. Not necessarily b/c you think of the real thing as an investment to get a return on, but whether you will still love it in a few years when it falls out of fashion.

Agreed.
I often post things that are not really a response to a post, but to educate the zillions of lurkers here.

I like to take every opportunity to call out nearly-ubiquitous jewelry terms that sales weenies misuse to manipulate customers, e.g. natural FCD - failing to mention its color is from lab treatment, certificate instead of grading report, calling a ring 2 ct when it is 2ct of several small diamonds, and investment.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I frequently buy the costume version first in order to decide if the real deal is worth the purchase.

For example, my five-stone diamond ring. I purchased a silver/CZ version and decided that I definitely wanted the real deal in platinum and diamonds. I wear it almost daily.

However, I recently purchased a paperclip gold-tone necklace at Target because I was thinking about spending $2500 on the real version. I hated it. That $12 at Target was money well spent and it saved me $2488 plus taxes.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I'm going to go look in my jewelry box and figure out which of my older pieces I still really like and then I'll come back and answer. Give me a little time.

Okay, so looking at the older things that I have that I still wear and enjoy, I probably started getting a handle on my long term likes in my mid-40's. I still made some mistakes, but fewer and fewer. I still make some now when I see a piece that I love, but don't think enough about whether it suits me. But again, I can generally regroup and reset into something that makes more sense for me.

That’s really neat, thanks for sharing that. What made something feel like your style or not? Any idea how you got better at honing your preferences? I’m hoping to get myself something REALLY special when I turn 40, and I’m hoping to pick something I’ll enjoy forever!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

Yes exactly. Sometimes I have a hard time judging if I like something and it will stand the test of time, or if it’s simply trendy and I’ve seen it all over Instagram and developed a subconscious “have to have it” feeling. Sometimes it would make sense for me to just buy the look rather than the actual $2000 item. Like with a gold chain necklace. Millions of costume versions.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed.
I often post things that are not really a response to a post, but to educate the zillions of lurkers here.

I like to take every opportunity to call out nearly-ubiquitous jewelry terms that sales weenies misuse to manipulate customers, e.g. natural FCD - failing to mention its color is from lab treatment, certificate instead of grading report, calling a ring 2 ct when it is 2ct of several small diamonds, and investment.

I always appreciate an education!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I frequently buy the costume version first in order to decide if the real deal is worth the purchase.

For example, my five-stone diamond ring. I purchased a silver/CZ version and decided that I definitely wanted the real deal in platinum and diamonds. I wear it almost daily.

However, I recently purchased a paperclip gold-tone necklace at Target because I was thinking about spending $2500 on the real version. I hated it. That $12 at Target was money well spent and it saved me $2488 plus taxes.

This is the perfect example and exactly what I’m talking about! Now tell me- do you buy testers for most things, or is it case by case? And if it’s case by case- how do you decide?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s really neat, thanks for sharing that. What made something feel like your style or not? Any idea how you got better at honing your preferences? I’m hoping to get myself something REALLY special when I turn 40, and I’m hoping to pick something I’ll enjoy forever!

I'm not really sure. I do now know that I like things that have an antique feel. Maybe it's because they are not trendy. The jewelry I have from the 70's seems so outdated. I actually do still like some of them but seldom wear them. But my antique pieces or antique style pieces don't feel outdated to me. I've never really thought about it and I'm just talking off of my head, but that's the sense I get.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in my 30s, I wore a tennis bracelet with bezel set CZ stones in Rhodium plated silver for years, even bought a replacement that was exactly the same when the first one got tired and dull.

I bought the real thing 2 years (mid 50s by then) ago when I had more pennies to spare.

I am not keen on blue stones, prefer greens and reds, hence I am unlikely to spend big money on a real blue Sapphire, so I had a lab one cut instead by Gary.

I am unlikely to be able to afford a sizeable clean blue-green Emerald, hence I got a lab one cut by Jeff W.

I got a Paraiba YAG cut by Gary for the same reason.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on another diamond, hence I am going to get a LGD OEC about 1ct to be worn as a right hand ring.

I am gradually moving away from costume jewellery except for brooches, as I definitely cannot afford the real things as all the ones I like are mega expensive!

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, great topic. There's so much to say on this one.

I like the idea of "price per use." For ex., it might be a good idea to go for silver and CZs rather than platinum/gold and diamonds for fancy pieces that you'd only rarely wear. Price per use is also great for shorter term planning imo.

But in the long run, I don't think most of us can know for sure what we'll still want. Lifestyle, trends, preferences, and sizes can all change over time. I have one ring that I bought about 25 years ago and still wear often. I couldn't have told you 25 years ago that it would be the only piece from that time period that I'd still wear now or why (it's not a bridal ring, either).

But during that time, I've gotten wealthier, started working professional jobs, then ended them (so I don't get dressed up as much now), gained and lost weight, upscaled my lifestyle then downsized it again, and so on. Plus styles have changed with jewelry, just as they have with everything else.

I especially like costume jewelry to test sizes, like pearl or diamond stud earring sizes, lengths of chains and gem sizes on my hand. Some pieces were too small and insubstantial on me, in practice. Or too large, which can seem to me too attention getting, or earrings can hurt your ears after a couple of hours (especially if you're on the phone with big pearl stud earrings ugh). Some necklace lengths I dislike because they have a way of weirdly looping around one boobie which imo looks demented. Now who would figured on something like that? Etcetera.

But I also like less expensive sterling etc. jewelry on its own. To me, it's often "good enough" and I can have lots more jewelry to play with that way. With the examples above, I liked the CZ and sterling studs I had bought "to try out the size" so much I decided to just wear those instead of getting real ones. Same with the big fake pearl studs.

Another thing I think about, personally, is that I am not always careful with things. I might bang up a less durable gemstone in a ring and I've lost a lot of earrings. If it's not expensive, that's a big worry I don't have.

I love (precision cut) lab gems. They are the same molecular structure as their mined counterparts. But at a size, color and quality that would be out of my reach otherwise. I especially like the lab sapphires because they come in many colors and are very durable.

To me, extra money spent on enjoyment is all the same and just depends on whatever you happen to enjoy. So I wouldn't hold how much a jewelry collection cost to a stricter standard than any other extras bought in that same time period, whether restaurant dinners, cars beyond what's required for basic transportation or etc.

Last edited:

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
This is the perfect example and exactly what I’m talking about! Now tell me- do you buy testers for most things, or is it case by case? And if it’s case by case- how do you decide?

It's case by case and particularly if there is something about the structure of the piece that I think might bother me in some way. With the five-stone ring, I was worried that it would bother me if the width was too wide (thereby touching the neighboring fingers too much), but it was fine. With the paperclip necklace, I was worried that the links would bunch up or fail to lie flat, which they totally did in a completely annoying way. I actually purchased two different costume versions just to be sure, so I guess that lesson cost me more than $12, but it was worth it.

The only time this plan failed me was with my Cartier love necklace. I wore a stainless steel version for months, and I loved it. I wanted to make sure that I would be okay with a fixed pendant, which I thought would bother me, but it was okay. But the Cartier version is much thicker and slightly shorter than the replica, and I am still getting used to it.

Sometimes I like the costume version so much that I don't even bother with the real deal. I recently purchased a genuine Neil Lane ring (but the sterling silver version) preloved on eBay with the intention of purchasing the 18k white gold version if I liked it. But the silver version is so nice that I decided to stick with it.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought a few knockoff pieces of jewelry to see if I would wear them enough to want the real thing, but I just couldn’t bring myself to wear them that often bc I felt like a fake.
For example I purchased an emerald green eternity off eBay. I even sent it to DK to have milgrain added. I just couldn’t make myself wear it though and I finally purchased a real one off LT a few months ago. If anything the fake emerald band looks better than the real one. The colors and stones are perfect in it, but I still prefer the minor imperfections of the real band.
I did buy one fake LV bag back when I first got married. I thought it looked like the real deal. Then one day I saw a woman wearing the real LV bag and I discovered my knockoff looked so completely fake.
I never bought another knockoff designer bag after that.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
It's case by case and particularly if there is something about the structure of the piece that I think might bother me in some way. With the five-stone ring, I was worried that it would bother me if the width was too wide (thereby touching the neighboring fingers too much), but it was fine. With the paperclip necklace, I was worried that the links would bunch up or fail to lie flat, which they totally did in a completely annoying way. I actually purchased two different costume versions just to be sure, so I guess that lesson cost me more than $12, but it was worth it.

The only time this plan failed me was with my Cartier love necklace. I wore a stainless steel version for months, and I loved it. I wanted to make sure that I would be okay with a fixed pendant, which I thought would bother me, but it was okay. But the Cartier version is much thicker and slightly shorter than the replica, and I am still getting used to it.

Sometimes I like the costume version so much that I don't even bother with the real deal. I recently purchased a genuine Neil Lane ring (but the sterling silver version) preloved on eBay with the intention of purchasing the 18k white gold version if I liked it. But the silver version is so nice that I decided to stick with it.

Ok now I want to see this Neil lane ring!

Also I like your strategy. Thanks for explaining!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought a few knockoff pieces of jewelry to see if I would wear them enough to want the real thing, but I just couldn’t bring myself to wear them that often bc I felt like a fake.

That's me...but I tell myself its not rational.

When someone complements me on a simulant piece. I get embarrassed and the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "it's not real" when I should just say thank you. The reality is it's still pretty and there is nothing wrong with it

Oddly enough, i have no problem wearing costume or non-fine jewelry...it can be fun, large, colorful and/or bold way to accessorize. It's only when the piece looks like fine jewelry when it isn't that I get conflicted.

To me, unless you are talking about true knockoffs like fake cartier love bracelets, fake handbags are different because they are copying a trademarked item.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting that a couple of people have likened costume jewelry (or fake, lab gem less expensive metals etc.) with knockoff handbags. I've never thought of them as comparable to each other but now I see how they could be.

Parallels, for sure. It’s all about wanting a certain look! I think the difference is when it’s a designer knockoff. Like I’m talking about: do you buy fake leather boots when you actually wanted the look of real leather boots, but didn’t want to pay $300?

I think it’s a little different when you’re buying something that is purporting to be the designer one, and yours is a copy.

I completely get your dilemma, I was there a little while ago!

In my case, what I wanted was something super traditional and ornate (a gold temple jewelry belt, called oddiyanam) which is basically made of solid, high karat gold (and can therefore be wildly expensive). I loved the look of it, but I couldn’t see myself reaching for it more than a couple times a year, at best. But I lusted after the look. I bought a costume version and realised that for me, the itch had been scratched with a costume belt and I didn’t need the real thing.

I do think a tester piece is a good idea, but I would also suggest if you do end up buying a chain, check out the Indian jewelry stores in your area unless you’re after something really really specific. These chains are usually sold at spot price + few percent extra; labour costs are significantly lower than western-made chains. I think Indian jewelry stores abroad might charge higher labour/overhead costs (they call them ‘making charges’ in India) than they do in the subcontinent, but would still be significantly cheaper than western stores.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's me...but I tell myself its not rational.

When someone complements me on a simulant piece. I get embarrassed and the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "it's not real" when I should just say thank you. The reality is it's still pretty and there is nothing wrong with it

Oddly enough, i have no problem wearing costume or non-fine jewelry...it can be fun, large, colorful and/or bold way to accessorize. It's only when the piece looks like fine jewelry when it isn't that I get conflicted.

To me, unless you are talking about true knockoffs like fake cartier love bracelets, fake handbags are different because they are copying a trademarked item.

This is exactly me. The first thing that I say is it’s not real too. And you’re right, it’s still pretty and completely fine. I don’t judge other people who wear them, just myself. Go figure!
Also I feel the same way about costume jewelry. No problem wearing them either, just when it comes to stuff that looks expensive.
Another thing I also notice is that I won’t wear anything with a bigger size stone than my real diamond. Like I won’t wear a four carat fake diamond ring. I have a few travel rings (not that I’ve traveled anywhere) but they are about 1.5-2 carats.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results