shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide what you want when you love everything?

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I am going to upgrade my diamond and setting, so I’m trying to narrow down what I want, but how do you decide when you love so many things?? This is a big purchase for me and likely the only time I will change diamonds and settings again! How do you pull the trigger on one particular style?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Which diamonds and settings are you considering? Is there one that you think about or gravitate to a little more than the others? Something that will be timeless?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took me years and many hours looking at settings before I took the plunge to reset my EC.

I knew I wanted a halo, bezel set the main stone, plain shank etc., and it still took ages to decide.

Take your time, research by trawling the internet for inspiration as much as you can, think about your own preferences and lifestyle etc...

Good luck!

DK :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to dk.

Start a massive excel or word document and copy and paste links and pictures to things you like.

Gradually you can work out what you like more than other things, which can help you work out what elements and styles you really want.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is different and preferences change over time for some of us. I started out with an MRB but immediately knew I am not an MRB girl. And then the journey began. My best advice is see as many different type diamonds as possible IRL if you haven't narrowed that down as that is the most critical. Do you want Modern cut? Antique cut? Faux antique cut? Then you can find the diamond of your dreams and worry about the setting later unless you are lucky enough to find a beautiful finished piece that makes your heart sing.

Don't rush into anything. Take your time and try to enjoy the search.

And very important- make sure the shape you want looks great on your hand. Sometimes what we love doesn't love us if you kwim.

We are here to bounce ideas off when you want/need us. Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Many members here (including myself) have changed diamonds and/or settings multiple times! If you want to avoid that, you might want to stay off diamond forums after you buy one! It's very hard to choose just one. I have more than one now and there are still other diamonds I'd love to have. But I have to resist!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Ha! Many members here (including myself) have changed diamonds and/or settings multiple times! If you want to avoid that, you might want to stay off diamond forums after you buy one! It's very hard to choose just one. I have more than one now and there are still other diamonds I'd love to have. But I have to resist!

Haha this is probably part of the problem - I’m browsing too many of your beauties on here! It’s becoming an obsession!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an expensive hobby, for sure! I wish I had a solution, but sometimes you just have to wait until you feel a stronger desire for one thing over another. Looking at pictures can either be confusing or can help with the decision!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Everyone is different and preferences change over time for some of us. I started out with an MRB but immediately knew I am not an MRB girl. And then the journey began. My best advice is see as many different type diamonds as possible IRL if you haven't narrowed that down as that is the most critical. Do you want Modern cut? Antique cut? Faux antique cut? Then you can find the diamond of your dreams and worry about the setting later unless you are lucky enough to find a beautiful finished piece that makes your heart sing.

Don't rush into anything. Take your time and try to enjoy the search.

And very important- make sure the shape you want looks great on your hand. Sometimes what we love doesn't love us if you kwim.

We are here to bounce ideas off when you want/need us. Good luck.

I am learning what works for me. I love a classic round solitaire, but it’s just not the best look on my finger! Maybe if I could afford a 3 carat it would look good, but I have long, size 6.5 fingers and a regular round solitaire doesn’t do it for me! I like the elongated styles on my finger. But there are still so many to choose from! Lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled settings and ideas and took screen shots of everything I liked and then eventually things fell into place.

Sometimes, things like French cut sides turn out to be out of budget lol.

Usually it takes me 6 months or so of looking around before I figure it out.

Take lots of screen shots.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I am learning what works for me. I love a classic round solitaire, but it’s just not the best look on my finger! Maybe if I could afford a 3 carat it would look good, but I have long, size 6.5 fingers and a regular round solitaire doesn’t do it for me! I like the elongated styles on my finger. But there are still so many to choose from! Lol

If you like the classic round solitaire, you might like a classic oval solitaire? Very similar, but with an elongated style!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like @missy, I'll encourage you to "audition" a variety of settings and diamonds by trying them on in real life.
I ended up choosing an e-ring that was unlike any of the ones I'd thought -- based on pics alone -- I preferred. And I know I'm not the only woman who decided upon something different ;))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d start off looking at diamond shapes to decide what appeals most / suits your hand best. Do you want classic RB, do you prefer slightly off round ie oval or cushion. Do you prefer more geometric shapes ie emerald or radiant. Do you like unusual shapes ie marquis. See these shapes in person, try them on your finger.
then think about styling. Do you prefer a no fuss prong solitaire setting, do you like halo settings, 3 stone settings, do you like the antique look ie engraved metal work around your gem, do you like bezel set or uber cool tension set.
Type / colour of metal. Are you a yellow gold, rose gold or white gold gal. Do you prefer Platinium.
once you have these parameters considered, then you can consider diamonds within your budget. Points to consider here are do you want to get the biggest size diamond for your budget or the whitest and most perfect diamond.
dont rush it, keep your eyes open and look until something really grabs you. And the point being unless something really “grabs” you, wait and keep looking. Too many of us have jumped in too soon to only realise at great expense that it wasn’t making our heart sing with every glance. That the aim. The diamond / ring that makes your heart sing.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I’d start off looking at diamond shapes to decide what appeals most / suits your hand best. Do you want classic RB, do you prefer slightly off round ie oval or cushion. Do you prefer more geometric shapes ie emerald or radiant. Do you like unusual shapes ie marquis. See these shapes in person, try them on your finger.
then think about styling. Do you prefer a no fuss prong solitaire setting, do you like halo settings, 3 stone settings, do you like the antique look ie engraved metal work around your gem, do you like bezel set or uber cool tension set.
Type / colour of metal. Are you a yellow gold, rose gold or white gold gal. Do you prefer Platinium.
once you have these parameters considered, then you can consider diamonds within your budget. Points to consider here are do you want to get the biggest size diamond for your budget or the whitest and most perfect diamond.
dont rush it, keep your eyes open and look until something really grabs you. And the point being unless something really “grabs” you, wait and keep looking. Too many of us have jumped in too soon to only realise at great expense that it wasn’t making our heart sing with every glance. That the aim. The diamond / ring that makes your heart sing.

Great advice! I was going to reset my current diamond and went round and round on how to reset it until I finally realized I was never going to be satisfied because I want a bigger stone. So the pricescope people convinced me to not spend money on a reset and to wait until I could get a bigger diamond. I haven’t even really looked at specific stones yet, but I have tried many settings. What I like in pictures has been different than what I like when I try on in person!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... how do you decide when you love so many things??

Million-dollar question! :lol: And it’s really not any easier if you do have more than one diamond. I have a couple e-rings, one I’m working to reset, another that is still a loose diamond - both of which I cannot decide how to set/re-set. As others noted, it’s hard when you’re on here admiring so many beautiful blingy pieces or your eye is drawn to different styles.

As already suggested, trying on different styles & sizes in local jewelry stores or ordering a few sims (e.g., from Berricle) in different shapes & sizes lets you test-drive and see how they look on your finger; don’t worry so much about the quality, color, cut, etc. Another thing I do is use a picture of my hand and digitally ‘try on’ ring settings visually to see how they would look using Photoshop or another editing app.

Lastly, if you’re still really torn between two or three options, maybe consider going with multiple rings but with different ‘center’ stones to get the looks/styles you love. There are tons of gorgeous colored stones ... sapphires & spinels come in a variety of colors, including white/silver. While most ‘traditional‘ e-rings are diamonds, these days, it’s whatever you want/love, so don’t limit yourself in that regard.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DON'T RUSH! Put the money in a separate account so you can see that you have it and know it's there waiting, and take your time choosing.

Try everything on in person, even things you think you won't like.

Only buy when your heart is singing that you've found the perfect thing.

To me this sounds like you need a three-stone... classic, unfussy, but still blingtastic. But then three-stones are my favorite and I think they just look the best on everyone all the time. Whether it's a round or another shape, three-stones offer a lot of oomph while still being a low-maintenance style unlike a halo that requires more care when wearing.

Of course... I don't even muck with diamond rings - I do colored stones because pretty colors, and a good side benefit is that I can afford multiple, so I can swap to a different style and color when the one I'm wearing isn't doing it for me, and know that I can swap back whenever I want. But I still wait until I KNOW I've chosen the right thing before I buy something. I've bought CZ and moissanite rings but I'm just not that jazzed about clear stones... no matter how big I get them, they don't "pop" the way colored stones do.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is a problem many of us here identify with.

Tastes also change over time, as someone has pointed out above.

I am of no help! lol

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I second three stones. I did not even think I liked them, they look amazing on me! I realized I love the look and I love horizontal coverage.
I am kind of similar stats to you; a little over size 6 and long fingers. I also love EW vintage styles (maybe with an angled halo) and elongated, unusual shapes. Adore Marquise.
Adore everything old cut. No interest in MRB and they do not look good on me. But a Classic OMC or OEC. Oh wow! If you have not seen an old cut you just have to. The colorful flashes and pattern blow me away.
Then as suggested you can also venture into CS. Who said you can only have one ring? But be careful it will quickly become an obsession.:)))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes there are many gorgeous styles and shapes of diamonds out there. All yummy but the key is what you love and what looks yummiest on you. And very important-which do you prefer. Modern or Antique or perhaps faux antique.

Take your time. Keep an open mind. Try on lots of different rings to find what looks best on you.

I also have very long fingers and my size is similar to yours (6-6.25) and there are lots of looks that might look lovely on you. As you wrote elongated styles are very elegant on long fingers but you might be surprised to find other shapes and styles that look smashing too. I love the way big cushions, large emerald cuts, sizable oval cuts and big rounds and big pears look on my hand (haha there is a theme of large here but large looks best on me) as well as 3 stone and halos.

Have fun with it, try on as many different styles and shapes as you can and then when you are confident which shape has your heart you can find the perfect stone and setting.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You are not saying that you would be happy with any random one of those many things. It is fun getting to know your style! To me, the best sport.Try things on.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps concentrate on just the diamond now. The journey for the perfect stone for you will suggest settings along the way.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps concentrate on just the diamond now. The journey for the perfect stone for you will suggest settings along the way.

But I can’t decide which shape stone I want! :lol: I think I want Emerald or cushion. But I have a fear of commitment, lol

TIFFANYDIAMONDSLTD

Shiny_Rock
If you like the classic round solitaire, you might like a classic oval solitaire? Very similar, but with an elongated style!

Or even an Elongated Radiant :) I too have long skinny fingers and that's what I have....Love it!!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must have missed the welcome guide....

Here is a visual reference guide to help both newbies and pros properly identify their real PS level.

Enjoy! :cool2: :mrgreen2:

Pre-PS:
Vatche-1535-Melody-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-White-Gold_gi_3833_7-37993.jpg

Shortly After Joining PS:
cost-of-2-carat-diamond-engagement-ring-how-much-is-a-2-carat-diamond-ring-best-simple-design-nice-good.jpg

Intermediate Level PS'er:
diamond-engagement-rings-on-fingers-in-white-gold-@diamondmansion-1.jpg

PS Pro:
huge-wedding-ring-pretty-12-huge-engagement-rings-and-on-pinterest.jpg

f146f8c2defa03910f0bf3b217182a6e--henri-fashion-jewelry.jpg

87d6b3aa259650097c00e610c494f14c.jpg

PS Admin:
rings+2.jpg

Fiancee/Husband of PS'er:
man-with-empty-pockets-blink-images.jpg

PS Elite (it's like an American Express black card, you don't join -- we invite you!) ;)2

itskcc

Rough_Rock
I can relate! I lost my original e-ring (1.3ct round w/baguette sides). I rushed into a replacement (2ct cushion) w/halo and trapezoid side stones in a custom setting with lots of detail. After about a year I fell out of love with it. I finally confessed to my husband that I thought I made a mistake and I didn't love it as my e-ring. To my surprise, he said he didn't love it either but he felt bad about my first ring and just wanted me to get what I want. (love him!). We traded the cushion for a 2.3ct round and I put a tanzanite in the halo setting which made all the difference. The contrast makes that setting stunning now where it just disappeared with the cushion - too much crushed ice.

I was paralyzed by the choices and fear of making another expensive mistake so I put the round diamond in a plain solitaire and left it there for 2 years while I gradually figured out what I wanted to do. I started a file on my computer and a faves file on Pinterest and Instagram. Every time I found something I liked I threw it in there. After a while, I started to notice patterns and similarities in what I was liking. I even realized I had saved the same ring several times in my faves folder. I also took every chance to try on rings and I ordered a ton of cz rings to try (and then return) just for size, shape, dimensions, the height of setting etc.

While on a work trip to NYC I tried on a honker of a 3-stone at TIffany and I was done. I went back with my husband to try it on again so he could see and he loved it too. It just looked good on my hand. So then the quest was on to find MY 3-stone setting and I wanted to choose my own side stones which took some time. I'm a psycho about the profile view and proportions and I obsess over the prongs. While the tiffany ring was gorgeous I could not stop seeing the knobby prongs, it felt heavy in a way I didn't like and I wanted a little more detail. While putting things in my faves folder I also realized I kept saving things from the same few designers.

I ended up working with CVB and she was awesome to work with and really helped me organize my thoughts and visualize what I had in my head. Using the Tiffany ring and another antique 3-stone as inspiration, we added tiny french cuts to the band, dainty milgrain and pointy claw prongs that are absolutely invisible. It feels substantial and airy and light at the same time. The side view and all the proportions are spot-on. So...the process is a journey. Take your time to let your ideas evolve. Try on as many things as you can and have some fun!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@sledge sorry but this!!’ :bigsmile::lol::D I should have been prepared! I think this was like the joke of the decade! I started making funny sounds at intermediate... but the Admin:eek2::lol-2: and then Elite... brilliant and Price(scoper)less!!!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I can relate! I lost my original e-ring (1.3ct round w/baguette sides). I rushed into a replacement (2ct cushion) w/halo and trapezoid side stones in a custom setting with lots of detail. After about a year I fell out of love with it. I finally confessed to my husband that I thought I made a mistake and I didn't love it as my e-ring. To my surprise, he said he didn't love it either but he felt bad about my first ring and just wanted me to get what I want. (love him!). We traded the cushion for a 2.3ct round and I put a tanzanite in the halo setting which made all the difference. The contrast makes that setting stunning now where it just disappeared with the cushion - too much crushed ice.

I was paralyzed by the choices and fear of making another expensive mistake so I put the round diamond in a plain solitaire and left it there for 2 years while I gradually figured out what I wanted to do. I started a file on my computer and a faves file on Pinterest and Instagram. Every time I found something I liked I threw it in there. After a while, I started to notice patterns and similarities in what I was liking. I even realized I had saved the same ring several times in my faves folder. I also took every chance to try on rings and I ordered a ton of cz rings to try (and then return) just for size, shape, dimensions, the height of setting etc.

While on a work trip to NYC I tried on a honker of a 3-stone at TIffany and I was done. I went back with my husband to try it on again so he could see and he loved it too. It just looked good on my hand. So then the quest was on to find MY 3-stone setting and I wanted to choose my own side stones which took some time. I'm a psycho about the profile view and proportions and I obsess over the prongs. While the tiffany ring was gorgeous I could not stop seeing the knobby prongs, it felt heavy in a way I didn't like and I wanted a little more detail. While putting things in my faves folder I also realized I kept saving things from the same few designers.

I ended up working with CVB and she was awesome to work with and really helped me organize my thoughts and visualize what I had in my head. Using the Tiffany ring and another antique 3-stone as inspiration, we added tiny french cuts to the band, dainty milgrain and pointy claw prongs that are absolutely invisible. It feels substantial and airy and light at the same time. The side view and all the proportions are spot-on. So...the process is a journey. Take your time to let your ideas evolve. Try on as many things as you can and have some fun!!

Oh I would love to see your finished ring! It sounds beautiful. I think I know I would like an elongated shape, most likely emerald or cushion, but those are so different from what I have and I’m also afraid of making an expensive mistake!

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
What have you tried on? I’d recommend going to B&M shops and trying on different cuts/ styles of settings to help find something that suits your hand best. Might help whittle things down.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results