shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you compare AGS0 vs. GIA vg, vs. Gemscan Ideal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jen112

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Not sure if this question has been addressed before. I have noticed that different certificates are being used. How do I compare for example ags000 to a GIA vg, vg; to a Gemscan Ideal. Can I just compare them based on the angles crown, pavillion and the table diameter. Or is there more...

Also, I have noticed that not all places, specifically gemscan certificates provide the angles, then what can I do.

Thanks for your time,
Jen

PS. Does usacerted have any diamonds to look at at their thornhill location or are they ordered in specifically.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
We haven't seen a GemScan certificate so we're not familiar with what details they do provide on their diamond grading reports, but based on your question we're assuming that the certificate does not provide the same proportions details available on an AGS Diamond Quality Document so what you need to do is ask the seller to provide you with a Sarin or OGI computerized proportions analysis. Get the full page report, not the Avery mailing type label because the full report contains much more information.

jen112

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if my question was clear. I have been looking at some online diamonds and it seems that GIA provides the polish and symmetry measure, the table % but not the angles and it doesn't rank the cut. I am trying to compare an AGS000 diamond to a GIA diamond. How do I do that? It seems that I can't even compare one online GIA diamond to another (based on the cut)

Do I need to ask for a sarin report on the GIA diamond to compare its cut to the AGS000.

Thanks
Jen

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You need a Sarin or Ogi report to compare a GIA graded diamond to an AGS graded diamond. Be careful not to select an overly deep AGS 0 cut as they can be a weak performer in spite of being rated as "ideal". If the diamonds being examined fit my AGA 1A category, then they are not going to be in the weaker category.

You can do cut grading yourself on AGA website.....no charge.

jen112

Rough_Rock
Thanks that's what I was looking for.
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results