shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you clean diamonds set alongside pearls???

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased an antique pendant and it is set with seed pearls and diamonds. I know how to clean pearls and I know how to clean diamonds but I am totally flummoxed about how to clean this combo!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be very gentle, the pearls are probably glued in. I would use a very weak soap solution, just a touch, on a soft toothbrush. You then gently dry with a hairdryer on “cool” air. I then use a silver polishing cloth for the metal (it’s ok to use gently and sparingly over diamonds and pearls). Never use an ultrasonic cleaner or soak in any solution, while pearls are fine to drench in weak soapy water, the glue, if there is some, might deteriorate being exposed to water.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have an eyebrow brush, they are even smaller and flatter than a toothbrush, so you can control where you brush. Or you could borrow the small flat brush that comes with jars of jewelry cleaning solutions-- but don't use the solution, unless it's one specifically meant for pearls, and don't soak, as Bron357 pointed out, as it could cause the pearls to become unglued. I would use bottled water as well, to avoid chlorine and hard water minerals that can interact with soap.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh! Great question!
This is why I avoid pearls and diamonds in the same piece.
Seed pearls are almost always glued in.
Sometimes I just dry brush a delicate piece to knock off any dust or debris that is behind the diamonds, and around the pearls. Use a small pointed artists brush. That will get up inside the diamond mounting without disturbing the pearls too much.
Being that this is a pendant, it shouldn't be too grimy.
Try not to get pearl areas wet, if you can help it. You can compromise the old glue.

I have done repairs on seed pearl pieces before. You must have a loupe, tweezers, and a still hand!
If a pearl should fall out at some time, and you are lucky enough to find it, you can re-glue with something non-caustic, like Elmer's. But Elmer's will dissolve, so don't get the thing wet after re-glueing. Elmer's is strong, but will not damage the pearl like epoxy or super glue.
I suggest Elmer's, because when dealing with tiny seed pearls, it is really hard NOT to get glue on the sides and top of the pearl. With Elmer's, you can get a needle and pick away any glue that has oozed up and around.
Good luck!

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much. I clean my diamonds often. I purchased this piece on a whim and then started thinking about how in the world I was going to clean the diamonds as I like to give my diamonds a nice soak in soapy water with a few drops of ammonia!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
another little brush -the ones you buy to clean between your teeth..they can be very tiny and get into the places that others won't

Also you could ask at a nice jewellery store if an ionic (NOT ultrasonic) cleaner is safe...its my understanding that they can be used on anything and take about 10 sec. But..check to be sure.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results