shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you clean antique jewelry?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean just about all my jewellery with a soft toothbrush and a dab of liquid soap. I use a silver polishing cloth for the metal.
exceptions are pearls and opal. I only use water very sparingly on pearls, don’t let the thread get too wet, and a soft cloth to finish. Opals can handle water, except Welo opals, but need gentle treatment as they are softer than most.
Most important with any antique or vintage jewellery is to regularly check the settings. Something’s a prong lifts or gets too worn and the gem then rattles. Off to the jeweller before your lose a gemstone.
Be careful about patina. To some it means everything and adds to the piece so avoid using any impregnated polishing cloths, just water and a soft cloth.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I clean just about all my jewellery with a soft toothbrush and a dab of liquid soap. I use a silver polishing cloth for the metal.
exceptions are pearls and opal. I only use water very sparingly on pearls, don’t let the thread get too wet, and a soft cloth to finish. Opals can handle water, except Welo opals, but need gentle treatment as they are softer than most.
Most important with any antique or vintage jewellery is to regularly check the settings. Something’s a prong lifts or gets too worn and the gem then rattles. Off to the jeweller before your lose a gemstone.
Be careful about patina. To some it means everything and adds to the piece so avoid using any impregnated polishing cloths, just water and a soft cloth.

This is spot on. Excellent advice.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have pearls or opals. Depending on how many stones are in a ring, I will pop it in the ultrasonic with some Simple Green, this is especially effective for eternity bands. Sorry to anyone who just fell out of their chair reading that, but this works for me anyways.

Alternatively, a soft toothbrush and Dawn and really hot water works great. Bron has given you some excellent advice on prongs, I wouldn’t buy anything with melee in an ultrasonic and of course anything closed back cannot get wet.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simple Green Glass Cleaner isn’t easy to find, but it’s great for cleaning around the house and great for cleaning jewelry (with the help of a soft toothbrush). I also pop into my jewelers from time to time and ask them to clean any rings I’m wearing. That really paid off not long ago, when the jeweler looped an antique ring and found that one of the prongs was broken!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I use my little ultrasonic but I check to make sure none of the diamonds fell out in there before I dump it out because that happened once. Luckily I realized before dumping it out!

Prongs should be checked by your jeweler regularly anyway, especially if you wear it a lot.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t have pearls or opals. Depending on how many stones are in a ring, I will pop it in the ultrasonic with some Simple Green, this is especially effective for eternity bands. Sorry to anyone who just fell out of their chair reading that, but this works for me anyways.

Alternatively, a soft toothbrush and Dawn and really hot water works great. Bron has given you some excellent advice on prongs, I wouldn’t buy anything with melee in an ultrasonic and of course anything closed back cannot get wet.

does simple green still smell gross ?
or has it improved over the years ?

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my jewelry antique or modern with Connoisseur jewelry cleaner . I just duck it in for 30 seconds then use the soft brush provided then rinse it with water , even opal or pearl rings . Or if too dirty then I soak it in Dawn & hot water for a few hours .
I am very careful about using the Ultra sonic cleaner because it unset some small stones a few times .

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one I use is lemon scented, it’s not bad!

thats good to know
at work in a hardwear store we used and sold it when it first came out here
it kind of smelt almost like moth balls

danielle622

Rough_Rock
I tried to clean up my Victorian sapphire band and it made such a difference- before and after. It's still pretty grimy, especially the setting. Any tips? 20230428_130342.jpg 20230518_122030.jpg

If this piece is backed, which I don't think it is, you can't use water- so I would suggest just cleaning it with a cloth.
If it is not backed, you can clean it with warm water, a soft bristle tooth brush and any soap or amonia. You don't want to use any harsh chemicals. Just did the ring in clean warm water and then go over it with the tooth brush and soap and rub the toothbrush all around to get all the areas. Make sure you get the back of the ring as well. Once you've done this, dip it back into warm water and then let it dry. I suggest repeating once a week for best results and to keep your ring sparkling!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results