shape
carat
color
clarity

How do pearls last compared to other genmstones...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Marjan12

Rough_Rock
Hi -

Looking at a pair of pearl earrings and was surprised when the sales woman told me how I needed to care for them (no perfume, hair spray, etc after I put them on....)

Will a pair of pearl earrings last forever?

Thx

I think if you take care of them...............

but I believe they can become stained and "dry" ???
33.gif
33.gif

Gemstones IMO will last longer, but that doesn''t quite = better.

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
properly cared for pearls will maintain their captivating beauty and last much longer than you and I will.

Improperly cared for, they may still exist for many generations, but they won''t be as beautiful as they once were.

Just recently a treasure chest of pearls was salvaged from the Key West shipwreck, the Atocha. They''ve been on the bottom of the sea for 400 or so years, and while I don''t know their original condition and quality and how it compares to their quality and characteristics today, they did survive such harsh and unusual circumstances.

So wear your pearls without worry and fear. Just keep them away from harsh chemicals.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the bottom of the sea counts as harsh conditions for saltwater pearls. That''s where they were born! A desert would be harsh, but the bottom of the sea is a walk in the park.

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
pearls develop within the body of a living organism, not just inside the shell, actually inside of the reproductive organs, enveloped and protected within a membrane known as a pearl sack. Within this pearl sack, they are not going to come under the harsh treatment and conditions that the Atocha pearls did.

while these salt water mollusks are filter feeders and water and other nutrients are continuously being washed over the animal, this is not the same as hundreds of loose pearls in a burlap bag inside a wooden crate being beaten about by 400 years of storms and hurricanes, dragged across the ocean bottom and buried under several feet of sand. I''m not even sure how these pearls were found, if any part of the original crate/packaging was still intact, if the pearls were now in clumps, adhered together by the salt, barnicles, breakdown of chemical composition, etc.

Regardless, this is hardly ideal conditions for pearls, one of the more fragile and soft gems. The emeralds survived relatively well, but it''s amazing that the pearls survived at all.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ah, okay. You clearly know more about this than I do!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
a pearl with a nice thich nacre will last through several generations (its been said that a pearl strands life is about 150 years)if properly cared for.The care includes staying away from cosmetics,lotions and chemical based cleaners.Also wiping off pearls after each wearing with a soft cloth so persperation and sweat is removed because it contains acids that are not kind to pearls.One other thing is to avoid handling pearls with traces of citrus (oranges,limes,lemons,),tamato,coffee or soda pop on your hands as these contain asids that deteriate pearls beauty. please dont wear an expensive strand of pearls with other necklaces or on top of a rough fabric so the pearls wont get scratched.Never sleep in a pearl...the old wifes tale that sleeping in your pearls will bring out the luster is just that an old wifes tale...you may have sweet dreams wearing your pearl but in the long run it will be a nightmare when you see that damage it creates!

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
I have to thank you for the tips, too
1.gif
Pearls may be more sensitive than some gemstones, but with the proper care you can hand them down to more than one generation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results