shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I trust a jeweler with my diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soonerice

Rough_Rock
I am now looking at purchasing a diamond at one location and then taking it to a local jeweler that carries a specific designer setting I am looking for. According to the jeweler with the setting, they send the setting off to Jack Kelege (the designer) to have it made (to fit the diamond). Is this common (to send it away for up to four weeks)? How do I know the diamond I give them will end up in the setting? Someone once told me most diamonds have some sort laser engraved code on them, is this true? How do I protect myself? This is a very well respected jeweler, but I want to be as careful as possible. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.......

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
It's relatively easy to verify that your diamond is not switched if it has been certified. When it returns ask your jeweler if you can see it under magnification and compare the inclusions with those on the plot in the cert. If you don't have this, then you can use the dimensions. Or if you still have doubts have it independently appraised. But if this is a respected jeweler, it is HIGHLY unlikely he would risk his profession. Depending on their backlog, 4 weeks may be right. If they are just setting it, it shouldn't take very long, it just depends where your job is in the que. Some stones may be engraved, you should know if yours is, but not all are. If you are concerned about this kind of stuff, get educated. Familiarize yourself with your diamonds characteristics. Again, is it certified?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results