shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I tell if this is authentic Tiffany

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’m searching for a used Tiffany band. This particular one is from the UK. Seller has sold over 300 items (all Tiffany) with positive feedback. How on earth do I tell what’s real vs what’s fake? CEF196DC-4E49-4D6B-AF48-8426A3AF39DD.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm.... I'm used to seeing yellow gold Tiffany bands with the gold purity/fineness mark of 750, not 18K. And the TIFFANY & CO. doesn't look as "refined" as what I would expect. But I'm tagging @Jimmianne and @canuk-gal because they are more familiar with Tiffany stampings than I am.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.... I'm used to seeing yellow gold Tiffany bands with the gold purity/fineness mark of 750, not 18K. And the TIFFANY & CO. doesn't look as "refined" as what I would expect. But I'm tagging @Jimmianne and @canuk-gal because they are more familiar with Tiffany stampings than I am.

I agree that the Tiffany & co looks off. That was the first thing that jumped out at me.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two cents...it looks like an old Tiffany ring. Hallmark looks OK to me.
Is it an old-ish band?
Did they give the weight?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks ok. Here in the UK we do tend to mark with 9ct, 18ct, 22ct gold etc. I think it's just a vintage ring with a UK hallmark.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree...My older Tiffany baguette band’s Tiffany & Company is just like Jimmianne’s..They weren’t as precise then...The only red flag IMHO is that the seller sold three-hundred Tiffany rings. How did he/she get that many used rings made by Tiffany..

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I agree...My older Tiffany baguette band’s Tiffany & Company is just like Jimmianne’s..They weren’t as precise then...The only red flag IMHO is that the seller sold three-hundred Tiffany rings. How did he/she get that many used rings made by Tiffany..

I agree. I should add that they are a UK seller and have tons of Tiffany listings. This is the only ring listed though

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks ok. Here in the UK we do tend to mark with 9ct, 18ct, 22ct gold etc. I think it's just a vintage ring with a UK hallmark.

Thank you. It is a UK seller.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Agreement with the evolution of the stamp; that said all of my (new and old) gold pieces are marked AU 750. + Signed pieces with copyright C and the designer (Gehry, Peretti, etc)

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never purchased a Tiffany item in the UK.

FWIW, I did visit Tiffany's UK website and noted the stamp on the 18K jewellery does bear the same AU 750 stamp that my jewellery purchased in NA does.

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never purchased a Tiffany item in the UK.

FWIW, I did visit Tiffany's UK website and noted the stamp on the 18K jewellery does bear the same AU 750 stamp that my jewellery purchased in NA does.

cheers--Sharon

:-o Maybe I'm completely wrong then?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the Tiffany & co looks off. That was the first thing that jumped out at me.
I imagine it's entirely possible that Tiffany sold at some point rings & wedding bands where the TIFFANY & CO. is in sans serif letters like THIS and as shown, with letters the same size, in that band. But to me, a serif font (e.g., TIFFANY & CO.) -- as in both of @Jimmianne 's examples -- is iconic Tiffany. So even in a pre-owned ring that's what I'd be looking for, although I know that's not a guarantee of authenticity.

If she's an eBay vendor, you could try doing an Advanced Search of her previous listings for this kind of Tiffany band to see if she's been offering multiples. Unfortunately, eBay's results for past listings searches don't go as far back nowadays as they used to.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several sans serif vintage Tiffany pieces.
They don’t make it easy :lol:

No kidding. I've seen vintage pieces with the 18K stamp also:bigsmile:

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
I am T&CO lover and I have several pieces that I owned. From the looks of it, it is a vintage one. Dod you have other items to support the verdict? Like the dust bag? Box? It will help.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I am T&CO lover and I have several pieces that I owned. From the looks of it, it is a vintage one. Dod you have other items to support the verdict? Like the dust bag? Box? It will help.

I haven’t purchased it. I probably won’t. I haven’t seen another with that same hallmark. I don’t want to risk it unless I get a killer deal.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I imagine it's entirely possible that Tiffany sold at some point rings & wedding bands where the TIFFANY & CO. is in sans serif letters like THIS and as shown, with letters the same size, in that band. But to me, a serif font (e.g., TIFFANY & CO.) -- as in both of @Jimmianne 's examples -- is iconic Tiffany. So even in a pre-owned ring that's what I'd be looking for, although I know that's not a guarantee of authenticity.

If she's an eBay vendor, you could try doing an Advanced Search of her previous listings for this kind of Tiffany band to see if she's been offering multiples. Unfortunately, eBay's results for past listings searches don't go as far back nowadays as they used to.

This is the only band they have listed and haven’t sold other bands recently. They have tons of necklaces though. I don’t think I’m going to risk it

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Response from seller: 28F40A8E-3C53-4637-8D2F-BAB6A49D62CB.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1583252303697.png

I have no idea if the ring is legit or not but the seller's message is head-scratching. Anyone can stamp something on to a ring, and putting the burden of authenticating the piece back on to Tiffany (send it in for a cleaning) is odd.

There are a LOT of used tiffany items around so if you have a bad vibe, maybe skip it or don't pay more than you would for an unbranded item.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Response from seller: 28F40A8E-3C53-4637-8D2F-BAB6A49D62CB.jpeg

A load of tosh.

Tiffany will happily clean - the free cleaning that takes two minutes - absolutely anything. I’ve had Tiffany clean my E-ring and studs, which are both clearly stamped “EW”. It’s a nicety that they provide in-store customers, not a statement of authentication.

If Tiffany accepts a piece for servicing, the kind that you pay several hundred dollars for and that takes several weeks, that makes a much more compelling statement. I’m sure this very-helpful seller will be more than willing to extend their return policy a couple of months in account of this, no?

Last edited:

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it’s the lighting but the color looks off. Tiffany 18k, even on vintage pieces, is more yellow in my jewelry. Agree with others that cleaning in a Tiffany store means nothing. Any sales rep can do that and most of them don’t recognize any Tiffany pieces outside of their current or very recent stock.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I may: who cares if this is Tiffany? There is nothing proprietary or even interesting about the design or composition of this ring. It's lovely but it's a featureless gold band and not even a distinctive cross-section. I think there is no way to authenticate a ring like this, even if one wanted to.

Vendor can "guarantee" anything -- that has no meaning. He can guarantee that it is 100 years old. You're not going to sue him and you will never be able to authenticate it. No one will put much time, effort, or energy into this ring so they can say whatever they want. Bag and box would also have no meaning -- unless there is a receipt, photos, provenance, etc.

At one point, Tiffany was prized for making exceptionally beautiful things. Now they mostly stamp their name on things.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I may: who cares if this is Tiffany? There is nothing proprietary or even interesting about the design or composition of this ring. It's lovely but it's a featureless gold band and not even a distinctive cross-section. I think there is no way to authenticate a ring like this, even if one wanted to.

Vendor can "guarantee" anything -- that has no meaning. He can guarantee that it is 100 years old. You're not going to sue him and you will never be able to authenticate it. No one will put much time, effort, or energy into this ring so they can say whatever they want. Bag and box would also have no meaning -- unless there is a receipt, photos, provenance, etc.

At one point, Tiffany was prized for making exceptionally beautiful things. Now they mostly stamp their name on things.

When I see chic young models in magazine ads for Tiffany, I am amused. The designs are boring. The models would wear only because they are paid. :lol:

I must add though, that the classic pieces are great. And the heft and quality of even the plain bands is luxurious. I still feel the gold band that started this thread is probably authentic.

Last edited:

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
I agree I’ve most of their newer lines seem to be less inspired.

It’s also shocking how much their customer service has tanked. I’m also disappointed in a ring with enamel details I bought from a Tiffany store and the enamel on part of it chipped off. When I brought it to customer service they said there was nothing they could do about it.

Ten years ago at the same store, I ordered a ring that they didn’t receive on time and to make it up to me, the mailed me a leather photo holder with a handwritten card apologizing for the minor incident.

Because of this, when I do want a Tiffany item I’m less inclined to go directly to a Tiffany store since the premium no longer comes with the perks of excellent service and having the store stand behind its products.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For comparison, this is a 70's ring that was signed Tiffany but could not be authenticated (because they don't). I assume it's a one-off since this would be hard to mass-produce with purple star sapphire. It's engraved and not stamped (bottom photo) since the mounting is thin tubular gold.

tiff purple sapphire-1.jpg tiff purple sapphire-2.jpg tiff purple sapphire-3.jpg tiff purple sapphire-4.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results