shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I start a business selling herbal tea that helps you to sleep, slim down and detox?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of starting my business selling this herbal tea (ingredients to remain a secret
2.gif
1.gif
). I know that it works in that: 1) it helps to relieve my insomnia (every time I drink one or two cups, I fall asleep almost immediately and this comes from someone with chronic insomnia); 2) it helps to detox (everyone has been commenting on how nice and clear my eyes and skin look lately); and 3) it aids the slimmimg process (though of course I wouldn't claim that it *alone* could help you get rid of unwanted kilos if you insist on not exercising and overeating).

I would like to get it to a lab to further analyse the herbs and see what the active ingredients are so as to give further supporting scientific evidence. I know someone who runs his own life science business and potentially he could be interested if I manage to persuade him to go into business with me
3.gif

My main concern is how do I start marketing the product? Where do I go to for further information? I am of course motivated by the money/ profitability but I truly believe in this tea. I've been drinking it for a while now and so has hubby. In fact, I've noticed recently that hubby looks more svelte than usual
1.gif
, his skin seems tighter and he looks a lot less tired.

Appreciate any tips or insight you may have.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a great idea. I would think you would have to have it tested properly before you let it loose on the public.
9.gif
It may work well for you but it could have adverse side effects on other people. If you don''t test it thoroughly now you might end up with a law suit against you later on!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
send me some...it''s 4:00 am here and i can''t sleep.
37.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 6:56:58 AM
Author: Maisie
It sounds like a great idea. I would think you would have to have it tested properly before you let it loose on the public.
9.gif
It may work well for you but it could have adverse side effects on other people. If you don't test it thoroughly now you might end up with a law suit against you later on!
Thanks, Maisie. I absolutely agree. Do you know how many people I'd have to have it tested on before I could launch the product? Or any idea where I could look into to get further infor on this?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 6:57:07 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
send me some...it's 4:00 am here and i can't sleep.
37.gif
Sure, I could. I *have* noticed how you and a few other PS'ers stay up very late posting (not stalking anyone, I promise!
2.gif
1.gif
).

Seriously, I could. I'd love to "test it" on more people, as Maisie suggested. How do I get yr address?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
might i ask how many pounds or kilos you or your husband have lost due to drinking it? i did note you felt exercise and diet must play a part. thanks!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 11:08:30 AM
Author: crown1
might i ask how many pounds or kilos you or your husband have lost due to drinking it? i did note you felt exercise and diet must play a part. thanks!
I've lost about 8lbs (off my 5'2" frame) recently during the last 4 weeks or so, but diet and exercise as you said have definitely played a part. I have been eating more healthily in general but however indulged
11.gif
in a couple of chocolate cookies and tiramisue (just tiny portions), the latter that I made recently thanks to the recipes given to me by PSers (thanks again, you guys, it was sooooo delicious!!
1.gif
I'm thinking of making it again for my party this coming Saturday).

Hubby has lost about 12lbs during the last few months. He didn't actually want to lose so much weight. He's 6'4" and used to weigh abt 210lbs. His weight loss was not deliberate (he drank it mainly to detox and he said he tasted good!
1.gif
). We couldn't figure out why he'd been losing weight (particularly as he's had no health problem, and as i mentioned in my OP, has been looking better). He's actually not been working out as much (used to be a triathlon but has more or less given up because of his new hectic job) and has more or less been eating the same foods. I only just realised that the tea was the reason these last few days
1.gif
! I did not know that hubby had been drinking it on a daily basis (we're living in different countries at the moment, but that's another story altogether
1.gif
). He feels better and leaner since much of the weight loss was from his tummy and waist
3.gif
1.gif
; and he's still got plenty of muscles, yum!
2.gif
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Have you started thinking about a website? Decide on a name, and buy the domain asap.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:12:55 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Have you started thinking about a website? Decide on a name, and buy the domain asap.
That''s a great idea!

I haven''t actually but will do so soon. Thanks.
1.gif

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 7:02:41 AM
Author: Phoenix

Seriously, I could. I''d love to ''test it'' on more people, as Maisie suggested. How do I get yr address?
For the privacy and protection of our members, personal information of any kind (including email addresses, IM screennames etc.) is not allowed on the forums.

The link to forum policies can be found near the bottom of every forum page. https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/faq.asp?mode=policy

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:19:26 PM
Author: Ali

Date: 3/10/2009 7:02:41 AM

Seriously, I could. I'd love to 'test it' on more people, as Maisie suggested. How do I get yr address?
For the privacy and protection of our members, personal information of any kind (including email addresses, IM screennames etc.) is not allowed on the forums.

The link to forum policies can be found near the bottom of every forum page. https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/faq.asp?mode=policy
Noted, Ali. Sorry and thanks.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Without being specific, are these herbs that you''ve never seen used in teas that you''ve discovered, or is it a blend of known herbs that you''ve come up with?

I''m thinking if its the first, -- its probably already out there (or already been taken off of the market because of adverse events)-- I''ve been studying a lot of herbs lately... they''ve tried everything under the sun, and a lot of natural products have been "black listed" because of possible carcinogens, teratogens, allergens, toxicity, etc.

If its the second, I would get it to a lab and get a patent on your blend

Not to be discouraging, just realistic... when you have a product with claimed medicinal uses, it opens up a whole can of worms...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:27:59 PM
Author: paeony
Without being specific, are these herbs that you've never seen used in teas that you've discovered, or is it a blend of known herbs that you've come up with?

I'm thinking if its the first, -- its probably already out there (or already been taken off of the market because of adverse events)-- I've been studying a lot of herbs lately... they've tried everything under the sun, and a lot of natural products have been 'black listed' because of possible carcinogens, teratogens, allergens, toxicity, etc.

If its the second, I would get it to a lab and get a patent on your blend

Not to be discouraging, just realistic... when you have a product with claimed medicinal uses, it opens up a whole can of worms...
It's actually the latter. I've known about the health effects of these herbs, individually, for a long time and wanted to try to blend something that would taste good and at the same time would be able to help me with my sleep problem and basically help to detox (since we ingest so much cr#% these days). The weight loss thing I kind of knew about but didn't actually really want to believe (one of the key ingredients was mentioned to me in passing as having slimming effects, but I basically didn't take much notice of what this person said at the time and in fact actually dismissed it for a long time). Just seemed too good to be true, YKWIM (?). So it was a bit of a surprise to me too, a bit of a revelation, you might say.

I'm still to give the herbal tea to some friends for free to let them try it out. I am fairly confident that the side effects, if any, would be absolutely minimal. But of course I wouldn't know for sure until I've had it properly tested.

I will get a patent for my blend as soon as I finish my "testing" (if you like). Just want to see if it really works as I think it does. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the "can of worms", could you possibly tell me what you mean? I'm totally new to this and would appreciate any help you could give me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh also, paeony, could you share with me what herbs have been blacklisted? Is there a link or website I could go to?

Thanks again.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Not to be discouraging, but I know in the US, if you want to make any type of medical claims, you need to do studies on a large number of people (I want to say over 100 at least?) that are well documented and done scientifically. I work in the food industry and though I don''t know the details, I know it''s difficult to put out a product with a "claim" because you need to be able to verify the claims in a way that will stand up to legal strutiny.

I''m sorry this wasn''t really helpful ... I just felt I should chime in since I go through this type of thing all the time with my job. I hope you''re able to figure out FDA requirements and get your product out there!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:40:45 PM

It''s actually the latter. I''ve known about the health effects of these herbs, individually, for a long time and wanted to try to blend something that would taste good and at the same time would be able to help me with my sleep problem and basically help to detox (since we ingest so much cr#% these days). The weight loss thing I kind of knew about but didn''t actually really want to believe (one of the key ingredients was mentioned to me in passing as having slimming effects, but I basically didn''t take much notice of what this person said at the time and in fact actually dismissed it for a long time). Just seemed too good to be true, YKWIM (?). So it was a bit of a surprise to me too, a bit of a revelation, you might say.

I''m still to give the herbal tea to some friends for free to let them try it out. I am fairly confident that the side effects, if any, would be absolutely minimal. But of course I wouldn''t know for sure until I''ve had it properly tested.

I will get a patent for my blend as soon as I finish my ''testing'' (if you like). Just want to see if it really works as I think it does. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the ''can of worms'', could you possibly tell me what you mean? I''m totally new to this and would appreciate any help you could give me.
I was referring to a newer substance... its much easier if these are prev. tested ingrediants in a new blend
Here''s some info from the FDAs website:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-oview.html#regulate

Sounds awesome! (I love natural products!)

Also, you''ll probably want to check out patent records. There are a lot of patents out there that haven''t been produced (i.e. just because its not on the market doesn''t mean someone doesn''t already have the patent)
I invented something once.. only to find that the patent was already taken (or close enough that it wouldn''t be considered a "new idea")--but not marketed

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 1:05:09 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 12:40:45 PM

It''s actually the latter. I''ve known about the health effects of these herbs, individually, for a long time and wanted to try to blend something that would taste good and at the same time would be able to help me with my sleep problem and basically help to detox (since we ingest so much cr#% these days). The weight loss thing I kind of knew about but didn''t actually really want to believe (one of the key ingredients was mentioned to me in passing as having slimming effects, but I basically didn''t take much notice of what this person said at the time and in fact actually dismissed it for a long time). Just seemed too good to be true, YKWIM (?). So it was a bit of a surprise to me too, a bit of a revelation, you might say.

I''m still to give the herbal tea to some friends for free to let them try it out. I am fairly confident that the side effects, if any, would be absolutely minimal. But of course I wouldn''t know for sure until I''ve had it properly tested.

I will get a patent for my blend as soon as I finish my ''testing'' (if you like). Just want to see if it really works as I think it does. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for the ''can of worms'', could you possibly tell me what you mean? I''m totally new to this and would appreciate any help you could give me.
I was referring to a newer substance... its much easier if these are prev. tested ingrediants in a new blend
Here''s some info from the FDAs website:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-oview.html#regulate

Sounds awesome! (I love natural products!)

Also, you''ll probably want to check out patent records. There are a lot of patents out there that haven''t been produced (i.e. just because its not on the market doesn''t mean someone doesn''t already have the patent)
I invented something once.. only to find that the patent was already taken (or close enough that it wouldn''t be considered a ''new idea'')--but not marketed
Thanks, paeony. That''s really helpful.

I am actually quite excited, I must admit. I never invented anything before, til now. It''s so cool that you invented something. Are you sure you can''t market it. Seems such a shame.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 12:46:46 PM
Oh also, paeony, could you share with me what herbs have been blacklisted? Is there a link or website I could go to?

Thanks again.
here''s some, and I"m sure you could find links for more info on FDAs site:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-warn.html

(I would do extensive research on your particular ingrediants and become very familiar with its interactions/adverse effects, etc... they all have something to watch out for!)

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 1:11:07 PM

Thanks, paeony. That''s really helpful.

I am actually quite excited, I must admit. I never invented anything before, til now. It''s so cool that you invented something. Are you sure you can''t market it. Seems such a shame.
No prob
9.gif

It is very exciting! I hope everything works out for you!!
Best wishes!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 1:14:19 PM

Date: 3/10/2009 1:11:07 PM

Thanks, paeony. That's really helpful.

I am actually quite excited, I must admit. I never invented anything before, til now. It's so cool that you invented something. Are you sure you can't market it. Seems such a shame.
No prob
9.gif

It is very exciting! I hope everything works out for you!!
Best wishes!
36.gif
Thank you soooo much for this reply and also the other ones. You're very helpful and thanks for yr kind words and wishes too. I will do my research - thoroughly.

I really hope I can help other people. Not just a little money-making adventure. Will keep you updated.
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add in my previous post that you tea sounds very cool. I''d try it if you got it out on the market!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I actually managed a tea store for like 5 years and we specialized in green herbal and exotic teas. We did aload of business from a store but alot of it was sold through the internet. Everything was generated word of mouth.
I''d say create some samples for people to try and go to healthstores with your concontion and get a general "buzz" going, soon after when people ask you about it reccomend your website.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 1:32:18 PM
Author: elrohwen
I forgot to add in my previous post that you tea sounds very cool. I'd try it if you got it out on the market!
Thank you so much. That's very sweet of you.
9.gif
I'll keep you posted.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 8:58:49 PM
Author: ckrickett
I actually managed a tea store for like 5 years and we specialized in green herbal and exotic teas. We did aload of business from a store but alot of it was sold through the internet. Everything was generated word of mouth.
I''d say create some samples for people to try and go to healthstores with your concontion and get a general ''buzz'' going, soon after when people ask you about it reccomend your website.
Those are GREAT ideas! Thank you sooo much.
9.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
If you are launching it in Singapore you might want to check with the Ministry of Health on what requirements they have. I believe to launch a health product you will need to have it tested over a period of time on a certain number of people. It is not just the regulatory requirements but also I believe it is ethical for health product sellers or producers to know and study the effects of their product before offering it to the wider public. Generally there is less concern if you are trying to market a non-consumable product but when it is to be taken in by the human body, it is best to be safe than sorry.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 6:45:04 AM
Author:Phoenix
I'm thinking of starting my business selling this herbal tea (ingredients to remain a secret
2.gif
1.gif
). I know that it works in that: 1) it helps to relieve my insomnia (every time I drink one or two cups, I fall asleep almost immediately and this comes from someone with chronic insomnia); 2) it helps to detox (everyone has been commenting on how nice and clear my eyes and skin look lately); and 3) it aids the slimmimg process (though of course I wouldn't claim that it *alone* could help you get rid of unwanted kilos if you insist on not exercising and overeating).
maybe it was bird's nest.
28.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 1:02:33 PM
Author: elrohwen
Not to be discouraging, but I know in the US, if you want to make any type of medical claims, you need to do studies on a large number of people (I want to say over 100 at least?) that are well documented and done scientifically. I work in the food industry and though I don''t know the details, I know it''s difficult to put out a product with a ''claim'' because you need to be able to verify the claims in a way that will stand up to legal strutiny.

I''m sorry this wasn''t really helpful ... I just felt I should chime in since I go through this type of thing all the time with my job. I hope you''re able to figure out FDA requirements and get your product out there!
Thanks for your input. It *is* very helpful. I am def going to have it tested and obtain some documentary scientific siupport for it, though exactly what I''ll need to do is something I''ve yet to figure out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results