shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I spot a fake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hogenmogen

Rough_Rock
So I went and bought an diamond off the internet. It was a great leap of faith, as I'm about to take a leap of faith with my girlfriend. The cost was really low, and I was told that was because there were some occlusions and it was a little bit yellowed. So it arrived today, it looks great. Too great. I didn't see any occlusions or yellowy color. That and the low price make me believe that the diamond may not be real. Strange how the flaws that others wish to avoid I am eagerly seeking (with the theory that if it has a flaw, it must be the real deal, because who would make a fake with a flaw?).Well, how do I go about finding tiny flaws or yellowy tints? I'm looking really hard, but maybe I'm not looking for the right things.What do you think?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hogenmogen, welcome to the forum!I hope you've bought the stone with a grading report (certificate) and you should have money back period. So all you have to do is to go to a professional appraiser who can make sure that the stone matches its grading report. If not, you should return the stone.Let us know what lab report does it have (GIA, EGL, AGS, IGI, etc) as well as color and clarity grade so we can say whether you should see yellow or inclusions. Give us more info.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by Alistra:
Can you spot inclusions in a cz? I know the pros here will reccomend seeing an expert, but can you see flaws in a cz? I have an older ring that is sentimental value only. It has a few black inclusions in it. What does this mean?-Alistra

Alistra,Synthetic CZ can contain any inclusions captured during the crystal growth. Usually man-made crystals (like sapphire or ruby) are more perfect and clean than natural ones. I've heard that sometimes inclusions are introduced into synthetic crystals to make them look more natural.

glenncal1

Rough_Rock
Hogenmogen-Many diamond inclusions can only be seen under magnification (10x is the industry standard) and the yellow really only becomes noticable at really low color grades. For a quick explanation of the 4c's
go the GIA web site (www.gia.edu) and click on their "How to buy a Diamond" section, will take you 10-15 minutes to go through and you will feel better about your purchase.If you are still concerned take it to a local jeweler.------------------
Jim
CalvinDiamonds & Gems

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Can you spot inclusions in a cz? I know the pros here will reccomend seeing an expert, but can you see flaws in a cz? I have an older ring that is sentimental value only. It has a few black inclusions in it. What does this mean?-Alistra

diamondmanbob

Rough_Rock
Hoganmogan
Dude, you should have been asking these questions before you purchased the stone.
Do not wait. Go to a gemologist and have him/her check it out and tell you exactly what you have. If it is not what it is supposed to be, send it back and get your money back.
Keep you fingers crossed, maybe you did alright.
Happy Thanksgiving
dimonbob

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results