shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I pick a Moonstone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking of getting a pearl pendant, then saw some moonstones online. How do I pick a nice one and where else do I look? I know it has to be as transparent as possible, mostly clear of inclusions and a strong blue schiller is very pretty. Still, I feel so lost. How about these?

MN-4129B.jpg

12.0 ct. tw. 9 mm round, 10 x 11 mm. fat pear and 8 mm square cushion, although I really only need one.

p00222_1.jpg
p00222_2.jpg

That's a 16.6ct oval cab measuring 15mm x 21mm x 5mm

p04537_1.jpg
p04537_2.jpg

p04537_3.jpg

A fancy shaped cab of 10.32 carats measuring 12.79mm x 15.25mm x 10.51mm

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, I have a moonstone, well it''s still in my aunt''s jewelry box, but she got it for me as a child and I''m thinking once I have my diamond ring done I''ll move forward to have this one done.. it''s an oval... but when I saw your pics I really like the fat pear one!!! I love it in fact! I know nothing about quality or anything of these stones, the one for me was bought over 30 years ago... good luck though!!!!

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Moonstone is a feldspar gem known for adularescence, which is the reflection of light along the surface of the stone as it is rotated. If the stone is clean and symmetrical, I'd look to the intensity of it's defining characteristic when choosing one just as you would choose a nice opal based on fire or a pearl on orient and luster. I don't like the fat pear or square examples above and the oval looks bland to my eye...but then, pictures don't tell the whole story. Just my opinion and others may disagree.
35.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have several pieces of jewelry with moonstones. All are from the first quarter of the previous century. All have a blue luminous glow. I have been told - and admittedly this could be a wives tale - the one''s they mine today tend to be more on the whiteish side. Not as desirable to my eye.

So, you may want to look for older jewelry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results