shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I get my air conditionter to stop smelling like feet?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or, "Dirty Sock Syndrome."

Seriously, this is a thing. I discovered this last night, when I typed the above sentence into Google in total frustration, only to find that, nope, it wasn't just me, it was a bona fide thing. Ugh.

Has anybody ever had to deal with this? We rent, and it's a wall-unit, so we can't drag it inside and take it apart like we normally would - those things are built like tanks. And my landlady is away for the week, and her handyman, while great for everyday things, is not an electrician, so I'd feel weird asking him. But I cannot spend the next week smelling feet (and, frankly, the fact that it's apparently mold on the coil, uch, does not make me happy either, as I have asthma). So ... any tips? Quick and easy access points to the coil? HELP!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How do I get my air conditionter to stop smelling like f

Ick.

Do you have any way to contact your landlady?

Alternatively, would she mind if you got several estimates from people who service airconditioners and paid for one to do the service while she is away (and she'd reimburse you)? Even if you could just get the estimates and schedule an appointment for after she is back, it might speed the process up by a few days. (and that would allow you to cancel if she prefers someone different)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Re: How do I get my air conditionter to stop smelling like f

It sounds like a mold issue. In that case, you may need specialized equipment or chemicals to remove it properly. I wouldn't try fixing it on your own. I would call the handman, let him assess that he is unable to fix it and then let him make the electrician call. He probably knows more about the local servicemen than you do anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results