shape
carat
color
clarity

How do i fix this (pearl knotting for a beginner)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it was bound to happen
I'd want to learn to knot
but i can't say i wanted to so soon
this could be another slow burning threads
But i need to start at the beginning and get thread

What do i buy ?

My fun multi strand from the mall jewler broke at work yesterday
I had only worn it one day
But its been sitting in its box unworn for 3 or 4 years so i can't really take it back

The first pearl i found in my clothes when i changed my shirt so at least it is individually knotted 20210523_101415.jpg 20210523_101358.jpg

I was going to use nail sissors or a quick-un-pick to disconnect the strand that needs restrung

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bernadette can get you the needles as well. Thread comes in different sizes and of course colours. She can advise you on what you need...just send a message.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bernadette can get you the needles as well. Thread comes in different sizes and of course colours. She can advise you on what you need...just send a message.

Thank you for the recommendation
....i didnt even know one needed a neadle (yet i do know of a beading neadle)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your local beadshop may sell Griffin Silk Beadcord. They come with the option of a needle already attached making it easy to use for the novice crafter.
3801206-white-silk-beading-cord-6-on-card-with-nee.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
True those little attached needles are handy but I think you'll find that Beaders Secret ( for those of us Down Under) or PatriciaSaabDesigns on ETSY thread in America , ( same thread) will be much easier to work with. The knots slide more easily.

Depending on the size of the pearls you can get Extra Fine Fine Medium or Heavy needles . They have a nice big loop so threading isn't hard.

The same with the thread Extra Fine Fine Medium Heavy

I use mostly the Medium in both but I've got all the sizes. When I find a thread colour that I like I buy it in all sizes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally took this to the jewler
they just texted to say it's ready
I have some other repairs in there at the moment so im not sure if the price is just for the pearls or hopefully in total
maybe they restrung the other two strands

Anyway i really think i need to try this knotting thing for myself !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ouch

Got this restrung via the jewler in town

They sent it out to their pearl knotting lady (man?)
I did ask if, as they are not exspensive pearls the broken strand could be twisted around the others when it was restrung

But it came back just as it was and all 3 strands restrung
$150

Well maybe as the first strand broke after only 3 wears the other two needed to be done too but its made my fun mall strand a lot more exspensive than i would have liked

Jewelry of all kinds is so much more exspensive in this part of the world

Maybe that's not too outrageous when divided by 3 but it was more than i was expecting

On the internet i found a lady who works in silver down south who
Repairs costume jewlery and does pearl restringing - she says her favourite job is fixing necklaces

Her prices for knottimg were aprox $30 a strand plus materials but due to covid lockdowns she had got behind and had stopped taking on new work before Christmas
but as of this month she is open agsin for repair work so i must look out something to try her out on

Im just not confident i could do a nice enough job
I know i need to learn
when i eventually buy my Wen pearls i will buy some to practice on

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch

Got this restrung via the jewler in town

They sent it out to their pearl knotting lady (man?)
I did ask if, as they are not exspensive pearls the broken strand could be twisted around the others when it was restrung

But it came back just as it was and all 3 strands restrung
$150

Well maybe as the first strand broke after only 3 wears the other two needed to be done too but its made my fun mall strand a lot more exspensive than i would have liked

Jewelry of all kinds is so much more exspensive in this part of the world

Maybe that's not too outrageous when divided by 3 but it was more than i was expecting

On the internet i found a lady who works in silver down south who
Repairs costume jewlery and does pearl restringing - she says her favourite job is fixing necklaces

Her prices for knottimg were aprox $30 a strand plus materials but due to covid lockdowns she had got behind and had stopped taking on new work before Christmas
but as of this month she is open agsin for repair work so i must look out something to try her out on

Im just not confident i could do a nice enough job
I know i need to learn
when i eventually buy my Wen pearls i will buy some to practice on

Ugh. Daisy I used to mail mine out to be strung - the stringing wasn't bad at all, unlike your nasty surprise here, but OMG shipping added up fast :eek-2: You could totally string your own pearls though!! Trust me, if I can manage it (I am SO NOT naturally skilled with things like this!!) you definitely can!! I've got about much dexterity as Dumbo's ears. :silenced:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Daisy I used to mail mine out to be strung - the stringing wasn't bad at all, unlike your nasty surprise here, but OMG shipping added up fast :eek-2: You could totally string your own pearls though!! Trust me, if I can manage it (I am SO NOT naturally skilled with things like this!!) you definitely can!! I've got about much dexterity as Dumbo's ears. :silenced:

Thank you
i think i must learn if i am going to be commited to wearing pearls for the rest of my life

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep thinking that $150 would tick a most things off my list from Wen :doh:
:angryfire:
Oh well I'll get there eventuality

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are many you tube videos on knotting. It's not hard but it takes practice...and knotting can cost anywhere from 1 -3 dollars a knot to have done by a jeweller .

Give it a try. Bernadette can set you up with what you need. Beaders Secret on ETSY, she's in Victoria .

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many you tube videos on knotting. It's not hard but it takes practice...and knotting can cost anywhere from 1 -3 dollars a knot to have done by a jeweller .

Give it a try. Bernadette can set you up with what you need. Beaders Secret on ETSY, she's in Victoria .

Thanks Katbran
Ill do that once i buy my Wen pearls

(Had a few too many bills the last couple of months)

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
You can absolutely learn to string pearls! I taught myself from watching YouTube videos and it’s quite easy with a little practice. The synthetic thread is a dream to knot.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can absolutely learn to string pearls! I taught myself from watching YouTube videos and it’s quite easy with a little practice. The synthetic thread is a dream to knot.

Thank you
i shell remenber synthetic thread

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Much easier to work with than Silk. Plus not stretchy so heavy pearls stay knotted together . That said if the pearls are very large I usually string them onto the thread with a bead clamp and hang them for a few days .. just to get the kinks out of the thread and allow for any possible give.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Much easier to work with than Silk. Plus not stretchy so heavy pearls stay knotted together . That said if the pearls are very large I usually string them onto the thread with a bead clamp and hang them for a few days .. just to get the kinks out of the thread and allow for any possible give.

Its starting to get complicated again :lol-2:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hahahaha No it's just something I do for very large Ripple or big Baroque strands.

It's not complicated and if they are a normal size ( like yours) you don't need to worry about doing that :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait - like - hang to get the give out of the thread before knotting? Or after?

That’s a capital idea. Get the give out of the thread before finishing. I shall copy this.

Snowbebe

Rough_Rock
Such a wonderful thread!!! So I take it as once you learn how to string a necklace, connecting to the clasp is the easy part? Contemplating stringing new necklaces myself. The clasps came separately. all new to me right now.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The knotting is pretty straightforward, but either end is a bit three dimensional crossed with hide the end

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a question about clasps
where do you get rose gold ones ?

Is it ok to use gold filled ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i may be guilty of spamming in a moment :lol-2:

but im happy, hopeful and releaved :appl:

a lady came in to work today wearing a very pretty rope of probably mixed freshwaters :kiss2:
nice size too
she had one loupe around her neck and the 2nd hanging down
looked very pretty

turns out she knotts :appl:
is local :appl:
can supply claps :appl:
and does not cost a fortune :appl:

she seems cheap enough that i wont mind rejigging something latter on, right now i just want a few things to be wearable

wish me luck
hope to send her something in the next few week after ive paid the remainder of this months bills:(

rampent inflation :angryfire: (we and the cats do need to eat nutritious food so its been the bead projects that
had to get the kibosh:boohoo:)

but im hoping to get mum's pearls restrung and if i can get a nice clasp my corral, jet and freshwater Elizabeth line (it looks like a map of the London underground) that i strung together while watching HM's funneral back in September

will probably send my Italian (aka fake) larimar beads in first as a tester, be nice to have something new to wear for the winter
hopefully she can source the right coloured thread because it is saddly just beyound me to work out the correct size :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results