shape
carat
color
clarity

how do I fix a gap in my halo setting? Is it costly?

fraggle30

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I am looking into buying a certain pave ring for a steal. It's a lovely ring, the only problem is that the setting was square and the seller put a rectangular stone in it. The effect I get from this is when I am looking down at the ring is has slight gaps on both sides. I asked how much it would cost to fix and was quoted $176 by the seller. He said he needed to put gold bars on either side to fill the gap. Does this price seem high or is it a good price? Is there another way to fix this problem? What do you think?

I can't think of another way to fix it other than remaking the halo mount and resetting the stones, which would cost more. I think the price sounds good for a fix like that, taking into account labour and gold. Doubt you will do it much cheaper, but you could shop around.

Even with bars of metal on either side, the ring is still going to be off-balanced, and it's going to irk you more and more over time. Some halos can be forgiving, but one made for a square that has been set with a rectangle is not. The only real fix is to put the proper size and shaped stone in it...as it was made for.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP