shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I find a top quality blue sapphire pair (3-4mm) ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chemteach7

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am excited to find this forum. this is my first post. I am having a bit of a problem. A few years ago, a mens ring (family hierloom) went mysteriously missing. I am trying to recreate the ring. Does anyone have any advice on where I might find a pair of top quality blue sapphires (cornflower/Kashmir colour) in the 3-4mm size ? I am at this point open to about anything as I am having a hard time finding a small pair. I am not interested so much in the price as I am in the colour/cut/quality of the stones. I have made it a personal mission to recreate this ring so that once again it can be passed down the family. Please help....... Thanks
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could try simplysapphires.com, thenaturalsapphirecompany.com, or email vendors like Michael of the gemshoppe.com (he used to have some nice pairs in a 4mm size, and he might still if you ask).

trishy

Shiny_Rock
i was just shown the website planetarygems.com and they have reasonably priced, unheated, untreated sapphires as well... you may want to look there too
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 1:55:55 AM
Author: trishy
i was just shown the website planetarygems.com and they have reasonably priced, unheated, untreated sapphires as well... you may want to look there too
1.gif

If you do, you might want to get them independently certified by the AGTA or other reputable lab. I'm not saying I know them to be untrustworthy, I just maintain a sense of skepticism when it comes to buying gems from vendors relatively unverified by Pricescopers, especially when the astrological advertisement is that heavy handed (nothing against those that believe in astrology, I just prefer gems to be described in more objective terms rather than "magical" and "powerful"). And the old "if it's too good to be true.." adage. They also seem to have 2 different websites (http://www.simplygemstones.com/).

I wrote them an email once asking a question, and the response was kind of curt and defensive, which generally puts me on guard. But I might just be spoiled from vendors like Gene and Barry who are very patient in answering all questions very thoroughly and as objectively as possible.

trishy

Shiny_Rock
thanks!! thats good to know as they have more of the color i was looking for

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If quality is of extreme importance, I’d also try Palagems. You can contact Gary Dutton www.diamondexpert.com to give you the pricing, or any jeweller (local or online), however, I find that Gary gives the best pricing. Are you fine with heated or they must be untreated?

Chemteach7

Rough_Rock
Trade
I will begin contacting the vendors you have suggested...... and I thank you so very much. The question of heated vs. unheated NEVER crossed my mind till I started reading on this forum. How big of a difference does this make as far as price in these size stones (<.35) ??????? As I mentioned before, its the quality aspect that I am interested in as I don''t wish to be in a position that I would want to replace them after a short time, or a few years. Also, how can you tell if they are heated or not ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will not be able to tell the difference between unheated and heated with the naked eye. In terms of pricing, there is a difference but probably not a whole lot for the size you are looking for. Probably in the high tens to a hundred dollars or so.

Chemteach7

Rough_Rock
Trade
I contacted "wildfish" and their product seems very inline with what I am looking for. He mentioned that he would have to cut the stones himself (I am willing to wait). The colours are fantastic from what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results