shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I decide if diamond is the right size?

isukenik

Rough_Rock
My husband got me a ring for our 5th anniversary.
It has a very thin border setting with a 1.5 carat round diamond as a center stone.

My ring size is 5, and I am afraid that a 1.5 carat will look way too big for it.

Should I choose a 1 carat diamond instead so that it would look more elegant?

I am just afraid it would look weird because my finger is pretty thin.

I'd appreciate your opinion.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond can never be too big! :) but with that being said, if you feel it would be too big for comfort or everyday wear, maybe you can go to a jewelry store and try on rings with different size center stones to get a feel for the size you like. You may end up thinking 1 carat is too small and end up liking something in the middle. Or you may decide that the 1.5 carat is right for you after all. I think the best way is to try on! Years ago, when I was just playfully engagement ring shopping, I thought I wanted a 2 carat princess solitaire. I ended up thinking 2 carats was too big on my size 7 finger for my personal preference. So here I am (about to receive my BGD engagement ring) ending up with a 1.261 carat round in a halo. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you tried it on? I would try it on and see what you like on your hand. On PS you will find many ladies with size 5 and smaller that wear 1.5+ carats! but you should wear what you are most comfortable wearing :)

congratulations on your anniversary!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think it's important to remember that what feels really large now may not feel really large in a couple months time. I thought that I would be very happy with my 1ct but within a couple weeks I was kicking myself for not going larger and am now considering adding sidestones or a halo.

There is alot of talk around here of DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) the longer your wear your ring the smaller the stone can sometimes feel to you. So just keep this in mind before decided that the 1.5 is out. BTW I'm very jealous of your tiny fingers!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
oh, forgot to ask....pics please! :cheeky:

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think you need to try on different sizes. Personally I wear a 2.27 carat stone and have a size 5 finger. It's big, but definitely not TOO big, at least for me :).
You need to decide what YOU feel comfortable with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results