shape
carat
color
clarity

How difficult would it be to replace the melee stones on my ring?

Bunny Appreciator

Rough_Rock
Asking here since I’m barely getting an answer at my local jewellery workshops…

I would like to replace the amethyst melee with purple diamonds, the melee stones range from 1MM to 1.5 MM in size.

The ring setting is made out of 18 carat gold and the main stone is a lab grown diamond.

Considering how delicate the setting is and how small the stones are, would it be possible to make such a replacement? And if so, what sort of costs can I expect? 367F80AD-C1BC-400F-AADE-F0027A0175BE.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be difficult and expensive to source untreated natural color purple diamond melee. (I would ask the jeweler who was doing the project to do it - as I assume they would get better product at a better price than I as a consumer. )
Less so for treated/lab purple diamond melee.
Then, I think getting someone to take the current stones out, re-fashion the prong notches so as to accept the diamond cut melee nicely and securely opposed to what prong notches were done for the amethyst melee size/angles…. That I think is also to be expected ‘expensive’ labor-wise to have someone take the time to have the end product look nicely fabbed/polished/finished.
I think you’ll find some jewelers would tell you it might be more economical to start over instead of rework. That might be more to do with their current workload (or adverse to tedious labor) more than anything tho.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results