shape
carat
color
clarity

how different light sources expose inclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rofire

Rough_Rock
wavey.gif
< HI

I was wondering how different light sources expose inclusions. For example, will sun on a clear day wash out light return on a diamond to reveal, SI2/SI3 inclusions? How about 60watt light bulbs, or fluorescent kitchen lights. I was looking at an SI2 diamond at the mall today. It was eye clean inside the store. Under the scope, I very clearly saw the inclusion. It was a feather. Will certain lighting conditions reveal feather inclusions more so than others.
I suppose direction of the light will also matter. I won't mind an SI2 just as long as its eye clean under 90% of lighting situations. Please don't say "don't go below SI1" that's not really what I'm asking for.

Thanks.

9.gif

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

More important than lighting will be to keep the stone absolutely clean. A little film on the pavilion will definitely make an inclusion more visible. The more the stone sparkles the less noticeable the inclusion.Cindy

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diffused, cloudy day or igloo fluoro strip office type lighting makes inclusions easier to see than store type halogen spots.

The use of backlighting loupes and microscopes is quite silly for any purpose other than location of inclusions. Some SI2's are hard to see with a naked eye when set (ie not backlit) and this is the better test. Other sI2's that are correctly graded in a lab methodology are clearly eye visible. I think the industry has got this whole issue wrong for VS2 and lower grades. But then the sysytem was designed for VVS stones originally. Who ever thought 30 years ago that they would be issuing certs for K I2!!!!

But then you may think this is just drivel
1.gif

rofire

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback kind people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results