shape
carat
color
clarity

how different a setting makes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsp9999

Rough_Rock
my girlfriend likes the setting that has side diamonds. from what i have seen from a vendor such as bluenile, those settings cost quite a lot from say 1000 to 3000. although the purpose is to make her happy, i know it's not good to break my bank account, which will become hers later on anyway. anyone has any story or share experience? thanks in advance.

p.s. the setting "snufkin" got was nice. one less thing to worry.:appl:

jsp9999

Rough_Rock
one more question:
how different is 0.8 c to 0.9c to 1.0(seems to be the magic #)? is it noticeable with naked eyes? what is typical size where one feels "adquate"? i know it's different person to person but just in general. ballpark figure or individual preference anyone wants to share. thanks a bunch.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
No, most people don't know the difference between 80-90points or 1ct. You spend a lot of money, get engaged, people ask to see the ring, they look, they see sparkles, they say "very pretty" and that's it. If you read the threads here, you will see that most prefer quality over size, and I agree.

As for mountings, someone here yesterday was looking for a specific, name brand, extremely ornate one that had a nice price tag to it. In that case I said spend the $. But for a typical mounting with side stones, you could be anywhere from $300-$600 & get something nice. (Mine was $750 that I paid $500 for and it's .75ct of baguettes & rounds that are of good color and great clarity).

Study, study, study!:read:
Learn, and shop around.
Good luck!

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
You can see that some .94 ct stones are as wide as other 1.0 ct stones. You will also notice that .90 ct stones are less per ct than 1.0 ct stones. So to buy smart, by a wide .90.

That being said, I decided that numerology matters, and I am going to select a 1ct. But my girlfriend tried on a .5ct in a thin 2.0mm Tiffany setting and it looked beautiful. I could see getting a nice .5 carat.

Watch out for a scam where they list the "TCW" which means "total carat weight." This is where they sell you a .80 ct center stone with 4 .05 ct side stones and claim you, in effect, have a 1 ct ring. You really have a .80 ct ring with some near worthless industrial side stones.

Or, use that to your advantage to get a good price.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/30/2002 8:48:47 PM
said spend the $. But for a typical mounting with side stones, you could be anywhere from $300-$600 & get something nice. (Mine was $750 that I paid $500 for and it's .75ct of baguettes & rounds that are of good color and great clarity).
----------------

It is too bad she likes side stones because you can get a Tiffany-clone mount for $80 and then have an extra $200 to put into the one main stone. I am really against side stones or non-round diamonds.

phi368

Rough_Rock
Tarams,

Can I ask where you bought your ring? I have been looking for a setting with side stones and all I have found is the $1500-3000 range. I would desparately love to find a ring with sidestones in the price range you mentioned. Thanks.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I went to a reputable jeweler that has a spot at a flea market, here on Long Island. (I don't know where you live, but just to clarify, our flea markets are nothing like what they are in some other states).

Here's a link to a ring I have on eBay, the mounting isn't anywhere as nice as what I have now, but it wasn't as much either. Just for you to get an idea, take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=974375944

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
PS - I bought the diamond seperately and had it set once I found the perfect setting for it. I didn't buy the ring "complete".

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
My setting was $900.

It has 1CT total weight of princesses and round stones.
It is set in WG which keeps the cost down.

I got it on 47th street in the 55 building.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Phi, 1 more thing you can consider. You can look at any ring (sapphires, ruby, emeralds, cz's, whatever), if the mounting is made of the metal you want, and the side stones are diamonds, you can always have the center stone switched out for your diamond.

I have seen mountings for enagagement rings that were very costly ($1000+), and then found the same mountings with a gem other than a diamond (as the center stone) in it $150.+ Just something to consider.

phi368

Rough_Rock
Tarams,

Thanks for that info. I never thought of that last option. I've been trying to find a platinum setting with channel set sidestones and a matching band, but it's tough to find anything under $3000. I'll take your thoughts into consideration. Thanks again.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/30/2002 8:33:52 PM

one more question:
how different is 0.8 c to 0.9c to 1.0(seems to be the magic #)? is it noticeable with naked eyes? what is typical size where one feels "adquate"? i know it's different person to person but just in general. ballpark figure or individual preference anyone wants to share. thanks a bunch.
----------------

All things considered equal you WILL see a noticeable difference between .80 & 1c. ..and in the price as well. As to what is adequate, that's depends upon many circumstances Age, ring size, social circles - but most importantly - your budget. No need to break the bank on a ring.

Also, don't overbuy. A well cut g/h SI1 stone in those carat weights will have plenty of bang for your buck. ..also in that color range consider going for some Blue Fluor.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results