shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you start your collection?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Everyone :wavey:
I don't think I have posted in coloured stones before but I do like colourful gemstones and am hoping to gain some more knowledge. What I am wondering is how did you start your collections and do you remember what your first coloured stone was? I would like to purchase some inexpensive gemstones as a starting point and I have a loupe but I really have no idea where to start - ebay feels like too much of a gamble for someone like myself with no idea of what to look for, and I would be greatful for some tips or ideas on where to start.

Many Thanks
Lottie

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I surely did it the wrong way- bought a 14ct morganite off eBay from Thailand. Probably a good chance it's glass. After that, I bought a lot of inexpensive stones from Dan stair and Bob Kast, you might try them as a starting point as you build your knowledge and taste. My grown-up stones are nearly all from precision gem, there are plenty of great cutters but it seems like everytime I try to buy a stone from anyone else it's already sold. That's often the case with Gene's gems too but he has a larger inventory and his prices are very fair.

I did grow up going to gem and mineral shows so I had an early appreciation but my only stones as a child were emerald, malacite, and topaz.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been so long...let's see, 1989 I was at a Seafood Festival and happened upon an antique shop and walked around a little and something green caught my eye, they had some loose emeralds and I fell in love with a 4 carat one. I kept thinking about it and 4 weeks later went back and put a down payment on it. Later I had it set into a ring with .25 ct round on each side. From that point, it was on. A year later we moved to Japan and a Japanese friend of mine introduced me to the jewelry district there in Okachimachi, I was hooked and would go at least once a month, there were many loose gem stores as well so I had a great 5 years buying in Japan. Now I have entirely too many to even set but I love them all.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first gemstone ring was an aqua in college. I didn't start buying loose gemstones until about 10 years ago and it was also an aqua.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Started collecting minerals in the field from a very early age, then buying polished stones and finally gemstones.

My father and grandfather both had an interested in gemstones so the house was full of gemmology books - I also helped my father buy pieces for my mother for xmas and birthday presents and he always bought me gemstone set jewellery for birthdays.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hunting down a padparadscha sapphire for wedding jewelry.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've loved gemstones and jewelry ever since I was a child. My mom and grandmother got me jewelry almost every year for my birthday and Christmas. I have no idea which was my first. I think my first post-PS colored stone purchase was an alexandrite lotus ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.41 silver topaz supernova from Barry Bridgestock. Unfortunate that I started out huge and with precision cutting....set a high standard.

Silvery topaz on grater.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I started out buying really cheap gemstones from a gemshow in HK when we were vacationing there, then also bought some from a local woman in Japan who was starting a business of it. None of them were fantastic. All native cut, windowed etc...but I didn't know.
My first precision cut was from Rick at Art Cut Gems and still one of my favorite stones. It was a purple/ pink spinel.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your replies, Frekechild - wow thats quite a starting point!

My mother has always been very interested in coloured stones and has quite a collection of jewellery so I have commanded she let me loose with the loupe in her jewellery box. For my own starting point I think I would like to start with a small yellow sapphire. Am going to hit the books for a bit of research and then I think the Natural Sapphire company looks like a good place to start.

Thanks again!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
My first gem purchase was a 6.8mm blue sapphire from Jeff White. So, like Freke, I kinda set a high standard. However I do appreciate non-precision cut gems and cabochons. My second purchase was a quirky star ruby set in a HOW lotus (etsy)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314297095|2999406 said:

My mother has always been very interested in coloured stones and has quite a collection of jewellery so I have commanded she let me loose with the loupe in her jewellery box. For my own starting point I think I would like to start with a small yellow sapphire. Am going to hit the books for a bit of research and then I think the Natural Sapphire company looks like a good place to start.

Thanks again!

I would recommend reading reviews on that company on here...they are very mixed. Personally I think they are $$ for the product they offer. Just my .02 cents.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My first purchase was a burmese red spinel, after lurking on here forever and having Martil Fuller appraise it for me before the purchase. My second was a moonstone from Barry Bridgestock. Ever since, I've come to love CSs.

Hope your scatterred diamond ring is coming along nicely! I can't wait to see it!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1314298982|2999443 said:
Lottie UK|1314297095|2999406 said:

Thanks again!

I would recommend reading reviews on that company on here...they are very mixed. Personally I think they are $$ for the product they offer. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks Sarahbear, the heads up is appreciated.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1314299763|2999463 said:
My first purchase was a burmese red spinel, after lurking on here forever and having Martil Fuller appraise it for me before the purchase. My second was a moonstone from Barry Bridgestock. Ever since, I've come to love CSs.

Hope your scatterred diamond ring is coming along nicely! I can't wait to see it!

Pregcurious I have been looking at Spinels (I think my like list is a bit corundum heavy!) but need to keep it a bit low budget and small until I am confident.

I am all set on the scattered reset - just need to wait until we have been on holiday and the children are back at pre school etc and then I will have the time to skip off to my jeweller - v excited!

melave

Shiny_Rock
PS started my collection!!!

I came on here to do research on diamonds and found the coloured stones section and a list of vendors. Then i went crazy :)

Unfortunately i didn't quite read as much as i should have and bought a mystic topaz :(. I basically bought a whole bunch of cheap and nasty stones with windows and inclusions. But it was good because i have learnt a lot of what to look for and what i like

I haven't spent a big amount on one stone yet. The most expensive is a cc sapphire from Dana. I have learnt a lot and now feel a little more confident buying the higher priced stones :)

This is my little somewhat dodgy collection

IMAG0485.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Like many people, I came to PS to research for an ering: but I quickly found out this wasn't going to be just a passing fancy. My first stone was my ering tourmaline from Barry, but I have bought 7 gems since - most are rounds (!) - and am already ogling and planning more, and more setting projects. What have you all done to me...! *shakes fist at ceiling* :naughty:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1314402089|3000931 said:
Like many people, I came to PS to research for an ering: but I quickly found out this wasn't going to be just a passing fancy.

It's like the Hotel California...you can check out any time you want but you can never leave!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1314402278|3000935 said:
Like many people, I came to PS to research for an ering: but I quickly found out this wasn't going to be just a passing fancy.

It's like the Hotel California...you can check out any time you want but you can never leave!

:lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol:

*bathes in CS*

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I don't even remember. All I remember is that I found PS in 2003 when I was getting engaged. Everything else is a big blurr, and I moved on to the "stronger stuff" like FCD's and CS. :devil:

"Hello, my name is PR and I'm a blingoholic."

kt

Shiny_Rock
I actually did a lot of hand beaded jewelry with cs for a few years and got into it thru my suppliers and learned a lot about saturation, color, quality, sources etc that way (made stuff for local craft shows, friends' parties and weddings and so on). Had a great creative outlet for a few years cuz i have a boring corporate job otherwise!!!! The beading took a total back seat after i had my daughter, and I started just looking at having rings made for myself. My push present was an irregular rose cut shapes, pink sapphire eternity band in 22kt gold. Love it!!! I was hooked with gemstone rings after that....but I've always liked them, just not like this, to this extent!! So my ring collection is still small but my cs beaded jewelry collection is large! :bigsmile:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1314402278|3000935 said:

How right you are :lol: I agree!!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I was never too into colored stones even tho i had some tourmaline, sapphire, and rubies. I was ALL about the diamonds. Then I bought a spess and a tanga garnet from Barry about 1.5 years ago, and was sucked into the vortex of CS. I now own about 80 loose gems, 30 cs jewelry pieces, and have another 7 pieces coming in the next month... and another batch is going in for their permanent homes this week.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever since I was young, I have loved jewelry, but particularly colored gemstones. I used to relish any stories about riches where there was treasure or someone who would be rewarded for a heroic act with gold and gemstones, particularly if there was any description of the colors and sparkles of the treasure...I loved stones so much, and messed around with jewelry making when I was a kid including simple soldering and setting techniques. I used to go down to the jewelry district and spend hours pouring over their cheap amethysts, garnets, turquoise, using my babysitting money to buy one or two coveted items.

Fast forward to adult life and a blingless family (gemstones considered unnecessary, a self-indulgent luxury). When we eloped, we could not afford anything more than gold bands, and during our marriage, while he encouraged me to get a sapphire e-ring, I never felt it was the time to indulge, particularly considering my family of origin. Plus, we had day care costs (and wanted to save for college), needed work on our house, had family we wanted to see who were spread all over the globe, and lived frugally and saved. The only thing I could justify was to buy gemstone beads and make necklaces for friends and family, soon becoming a fledgling but successful business. I loved knotting pearls and combining them with gemstones (to this day, my favorite necklace I made is a double strand of natural blush freshwater pearls hand knotted on silk with faceted mandarin garnet rondelles - I'll try and post a picture one of these days). But just as the business was really getting off the ground, he became infatuated with someone else, we separated and divorced, and I had to drop my new business plans to go get a "real job" to support my kids and the house payment.

So the wonderful, enlightening thing that happened is that I, who had always been terrified of being alone (which definitely kept me in a not great marriage for 17 years), became the only person I had to please (besides my kids). I had a good job and after investing in their activities, vacations, braces, summer camps, musical instruments, etc., had money left over and guess what?!! I was the only one choosing how to spend it! :appl: I got to go out with friends and see shows, take mini vacations, buy jewelry! :love: :love:

My first foray was at GSN, where sometimes I paid reasonable amounts for estate jewelry, and sometimes I overpaid enormously for their loose stones and mounts. But you know? it felt absolutely elegant and wonderful to have various rings, earrings and pearls to match with my wardrobe and made me really happy when I wore them. Sure, there were times when someone behind me beeped at me in traffi cause I was mesmerized and too busy admiring the way the light was making something sparkle, but oh well!

So now I am feeling more and more sated with the gemstone collection I have and am happy that I have gotten to the place of being discriminating. I have more stones than I will ever set, but you know? Sometimes I think I like them best that way, so that I can dream about what they would be like. I do have some gemstones that are so well cut and so beautiful of color that they warrant a custom made setting just for them, and I am pleased to be moving slowly in the direction of honoring them this way.

And with that all said, I am now entering the scariest part for me - the interaction between the stone and its setting. Its like a painting and its frame. I know I have said this before, but while I have complete confidence in my eye for color, cut and size of stones, and have adequate knowledge of gem types and so forth, I am such a novice at understanding the interplay - how much darker a bezel will make it, how high up a stone might sit, how gold can make melee disappear into the background or completely pop, knowing what stone would just look outstanding with the contrast of a halo compared to a stone which might just look okay, etc, etc, etc.

But although I'm intimidated, I've never been happier in getting out my gem trays and sitting on my bed and just playing; I feel truly blessed.

I am still on my quest for the perfect 2+ ct padparadscha, a merelani mint garnet or two, and am slowly being seduced by emeralds...so we'll see what the future holds!

I can't imagine a week without PS/CS- it is the icing on my cake or, maybe a better analogy, the jewel in my crown =)

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
kt|1314415482|3001158 said:
I actually did a lot of hand beaded jewelry with cs for a few years and got into it thru my suppliers and learned a lot about saturation, color, quality, sources etc that way (made stuff for local craft shows, friends' parties and weddings and so on). Had a great creative outlet for a few years cuz i have a boring corporate job otherwise!!!! The beading took a total back seat after i had my daughter, and I started just looking at having rings made for myself. My push present was an irregular rose cut shapes, pink sapphire eternity band in 22kt gold. Love it!!! I was hooked with gemstone rings after that....but I've always liked them, just not like this, to this extent!! So my ring collection is still small but my cs beaded jewelry collection is large! :bigsmile:

Yur push present sounds ammmmmazing! Have you posted a thread on it? I'd love to see :love: :naughty:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I have loved CS for seemingly forever.... I just really love jewelry...
I started out first with lots of turquoise jewelry, mostly because
at the time it was pretty popular, especially where I lived....
I think it's lovely, and then because it was usually affordable for my budget. :sun:
I had some really pretty agate cuffs and a few fire agate rings...
I really wish I still had those..... lost over time, I reckon.

Lately, I have swung over to colored gemstones.
My first purchase was a PT Grossular Garnet
and when it came home to me, myself and my entire family just
couldn't get over the amazing fiery sparkle !!!!

It became a beautiful pendant, courtesy of JKT.
There is no end to buying CS, I am afraid it is a very very deep pit :lol: :shock: :???:

IMG_0129.JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1314419785|3001206 said:
Ever since I was young, I have loved jewelry, but particularly colored gemstones. I used to relish any stories about riches where there was treasure or someone who would be rewarded for a heroic act with gold and gemstones, particularly if there was any description of the colors and sparkles of the treasure...I loved stones so much, and messed around with jewelry making when I was a kid including simple soldering and setting techniques. I used to go down to the jewelry district and spend hours pouring over their cheap amethysts, garnets, turquoise, using my babysitting money to buy one or two coveted items.

Fast forward to adult life and a blingless family (gemstones considered unnecessary, a self-indulgent luxury). When we eloped, we could not afford anything more than gold bands, and during our marriage, while he encouraged me to get a sapphire e-ring, I never felt it was the time to indulge, particularly considering my family of origin. Plus, we had day care costs (and wanted to save for college), needed work on our house, had family we wanted to see who were spread all over the globe, and lived frugally and saved. The only thing I could justify was to buy gemstone beads and make necklaces for friends and family, soon becoming a fledgling but successful business. I loved knotting pearls and combining them with gemstones (to this day, my favorite necklace I made is a double strand of natural blush freshwater pearls hand knotted on silk with faceted mandarin garnet rondelles - I'll try and post a picture one of these days). But just as the business was really getting off the ground, he became infatuated with someone else, we separated and divorced, and I had to drop my new business plans to go get a "real job" to support my kids and the house payment.

So the wonderful, enlightening thing that happened is that I, who had always been terrified of being alone (which definitely kept me in a not great marriage for 17 years), became the only person I had to please (besides my kids). I had a good job and after investing in their activities, vacations, braces, summer camps, musical instruments, etc., had money left over and guess what?!! I was the only one choosing how to spend it! :appl: I got to go out with friends and see shows, take mini vacations, buy jewelry! :love: :love:

My first foray was at GSN, where sometimes I paid reasonable amounts for estate jewelry, and sometimes I overpaid enormously for their loose stones and mounts. But you know? it felt absolutely elegant and wonderful to have various rings, earrings and pearls to match with my wardrobe and made me really happy when I wore them. Sure, there were times when someone behind me beeped at me in traffi cause I was mesmerized and too busy admiring the way the light was making something sparkle, but oh well!

So now I am feeling more and more sated with the gemstone collection I have and am happy that I have gotten to the place of being discriminating. I have more stones than I will ever set, but you know? Sometimes I think I like them best that way, so that I can dream about what they would be like. I do have some gemstones that are so well cut and so beautiful of color that they warrant a custom made setting just for them, and I am pleased to be moving slowly in the direction of honoring them this way.

And with that all said, I am now entering the scariest part for me - the interaction between the stone and its setting. Its like a painting and its frame. I know I have said this before, but while I have complete confidence in my eye for color, cut and size of stones, and have adequate knowledge of gem types and so forth, I am such a novice at understanding the interplay - how much darker a bezel will make it, how high up a stone might sit, how gold can make melee disappear into the background or completely pop, knowing what stone would just look outstanding with the contrast of a halo compared to a stone which might just look okay, etc, etc, etc.

But although I'm intimidated, I've never been happier in getting out my gem trays and sitting on my bed and just playing; I feel truly blessed.

I am still on my quest for the perfect 2+ ct padparadscha, a merelani mint garnet or two, and am slowly being seduced by emeralds...so we'll see what the future holds!

I can't imagine a week without PS/CS- it is the icing on my cake or, maybe a better analogy, the jewel in my crown =)

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results