shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you meet your spouse or SO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I married my high school / uni crush.
The only guy I've ever been totally floored and intimidated by.

We knew each other from our country high school, and then went to the same uni. If I saw him from a distance, I would have to duck around the corner, he made me feel like I was going to faint.
I dreamed of him night and day, for about five years rock solidly. Yet I could hardly say a word...well, in fact, I rarely saw him.
Not very assertive, was I!!

I was good friends with his (also-very-sexy-but-not-for-me) younger brother.
His bro would come around to my house every weekend or so, for years on end, all the way through uni. I lived in a big share house which was loads of fun, and every weekend, I'd think, "when are you bringing your sexy older brother????!!!"

Turned out younger bro had never even MENTIONED he was coming to see me.
8.gif
Humph!
We got together when I was 30, he moved to the other side of the country, where I had relocated, and called me basically because I was a voice from home/childhood /uni days.

Luckily he'd been working overseas in a high-stress job where he moved around a lot, which is why no other poor girl could catch him! Also, he is / was sports mad so never wanted to spend a lot of time in pubs or with girls. Unknown to me, we were travelling around Europe at the same time as each other! We were in the same ports/ destinations within a fortnight of each other!

His mother tells me all the prospective girlfriends before me were REALLY really pushy, and moved in on him really fast, which put him off.

I can totally see why they were gaga for him, that's for sure!!!
I must have been saving my karma points for some time, because he did all the right things for me, right on cue with no time wasted!!!
I'm so happy, and still can't quite believe I finally got sooooooooo lucky!!!!!
5.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We met at work. I thought he was nice, funny and he was new in town so I asked him to for a party I was giving. We stayed up talking until 5 am that night after everyone else went home. We starting hanging out together and soon began dating. We met in February of 1990 and were married in June of 1991.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I was out at dinner with a group of friends at my favorite Mexican restaurant in the East Village of Manhattan. Outside was a cute guy that said hello. We talked for a couple minutes, there was an immediate connection so we exchanged numbers and met again for dinner at the same restaurant. We dated and fell in love and were married in Central Park the following summer.
25.gif
30.gif
31.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We met online. I swore I would never try the online dating thing but then my roommate at the time and one of her friends agreed to try it for a while. They convinced me to give it a shot, so I did, and I met my husband soon after. we''ve been together almost 6 years and married for almost 1.\

Oh, and my former roommate also ended up meeting her husband online too. Her friend is still looking though...

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
We met in a small city in the Netherlands where we were both studying, different colleges though! He had been there 4 years already when I moved over. We met through friends - we had a kind of small Irish group going on, we used to meet to watch rugby matches and stuff. Turns out he lives 5 mins down the road from my granny at home in Ireland! Small world.

ETA we were one of those couples that didn't really like each other when we first met! But that's a long relatively boring story
2.gif

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
He is the brother-in-law of my sorority sister. He came to our annual formal with his brother and sister-in-law. He came over to my table and said hello, and he asked me to dance one time (along with the other girl at my table). It didn''t look like he was making any moves, though, so I asked him to come over for a chat and we laughed and talked. He ended up asking me for my number that night and we have been together ever since...

A year and a half...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2009 11:16:06 PM
Author: LaraOnline
I married my high school / uni crush.
The only guy I've ever been totally floored and intimidated by.

We knew each other from our country high school, and then went to the same uni. If I saw him from a distance, I would have to duck around the corner, he made me feel like I was going to faint.
I dreamed of him night and day, for about five years rock solidly. Yet I could hardly say a word...well, in fact, I rarely saw him.
Not very assertive, was I!!

I was good friends with his (also-very-sexy-but-not-for-me) younger brother.
His bro would come around to my house every weekend or so, for years on end, all the way through uni. I lived in a big share house which was loads of fun, and every weekend, I'd think, 'when are you bringing your sexy older brother????!!!'

Turned out younger bro had never even MENTIONED he was coming to see me.
8.gif
Humph!
We got together when I was 30, he moved to the other side of the country, where I had relocated, and called me basically because I was a voice from home/childhood /uni days.

Luckily he'd been working overseas in a high-stress job where he moved around a lot, which is why no other poor girl could catch him! Also, he is / was sports mad so never wanted to spend a lot of time in pubs or with girls. Unknown to me, we were travelling around Europe at the same time as each other! We were in the same ports/ destinations within a fortnight of each other!

His mother tells me all the prospective girlfriends before me were REALLY really pushy, and moved in on him really fast, which put him off.

I can totally see why they were gaga for him, that's for sure!!!
I must have been saving my karma points for some time, because he did all the right things for me, right on cue with no time wasted!!!
I'm so happy, and still can't quite believe I finally got sooooooooo lucky!!!!!
5.gif
Awww, Lara! That is such a sweet story!
face23.gif

DH and I met at a carwash. Seriously! And it gets better: we were introduced by my XH (live-in BF at the time), who was a friend of DH's! I went on to marry XH (unfortunately), and DH married someone else. But DH and I remained good friends. (We have always gotten along really well!) Our first marriages ended at about the same time, and we started hanging out with a bunch of mutual friends at a local bar every weekend. Before long, we were taking long drives after the bar closed. He finally worked up the nerve to kiss me, and THAT WAS IT!!!
30.gif

We met in the Fall of 1998, started dating in Summer of 2003, moved in together in January of 2004, got engaged on Christmas Eve of 2004, and got married in July of 2005!
21.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
DH and I were introduced by a mutual friend 2 years prior to us getting together. The friend said future DH thought I was cute, but I suspected he was younger than me, she said he was, and I was like, no way. Plus, I was very interested in a hockey game that was on that night in that particular bar, and really didn''t want to be bothered (I cringe when I think about this...thank goodness for fate!)
2 years later, mutual friend, myself and other people I worked with went to a Happy Hour. The mutual friend paged future DH, hoping he would bring his best friend that she was interested in...he didn''t. When he came in, I noticed that he was really looking good, despite the fact that I opted out 2 years earlier...he started buying me drinks and we talked till 4am the next morning, in the car in front of the bar.
He moved into my apartment 2 days later, proposed 4 months later, and we were married 5 months after that.
We just celebrated our 9th anniversary. Life is funny, huh?
This thread is full of awesome stories!

~Kat

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I met my hubby at a party for my little brother and his best friend, who were home for the weekend from Canada where they lived and played hockey.

We started talking after playing a game of beer pong against each other! He will always deny it, but I beat him! It turns out he had been watching me the whole night, but he thought I was 16 (was 22 at the time and he was 23!) Too funny... I had been hanging out with some cough youngin'' types who were taking the SAT the next day. So he thought I was also 17!

Funny thing that we met while drinking though. I''ve definitely never see him as drunk as he was that night in the 5.5 years we''ve been together. Turned out that we got along even better while sober
3.gif

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I met SO at job training (in a state that neither of us are from or live). He says that for him it was basically love at first sight; for me, it took a little while before I was willing to give him a chance but boy, am I glad I did! :)

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
What a fun topic!

My husband was dating one of my best friends when we met. Don''t worry, they broke up on their own... I had nothing to do with it!
17.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Cool stories!

We met back in 1998 when I was hired to run a software company he had founded. We have been together ever since!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
My parents introduced us...
23.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
We met on a blind lunch date set up by a mutual friend. It was, however, Divine Intervention that brought us together. Corny, yes. True, absolutely. No doubt in our minds.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We met through mutual activities (singing groups) in college.
1.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
College.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
College ski trip.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:53:09 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I been engaged before and burned badly, so for a long time I concentrated on my career and dated occasionally if the opportunity presented itself but I wasn''t looking for anything serious.

I had been on vacation and filled out one of those little forms that really links you to a time-share tour. You know, the one that everyone wins. Well, I won (lol) and during the phone call informing me of this the lady starts talking about my partner. I informed her that I was single...she was like ''no husband, no boyfriend, no nothing?''...I was like ''nope, just me''...and she hemmed and hawed and then had to transfer me to her supervisor because they didn''t allow singles to partake in this. The supervisior started telling me to bring my Mom...my mother. I mortified. It would have been better if he said friend! I got flustered and told him to shove it and hung up.

But, it got me thinking...I was spending a lot of time alone and at some point I''d have to get back into the dating scene if I ever wanted to settle down or atleast get to take free* vacations.

So, after a bottle of red wine, I signed up for eHarmony...after painstaking honesty, eHarmony ''regretfully'' informed me that I had no match in their entire database!
39.gif

I moved on to Match.com (I''m nothing if not persistant)...and my first match was my now-husband! Take that eHarmony!

That is a cool story, Italia!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 3:24:19 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 4/17/2009 11:10:59 AM

Author: sba771

DH and I met on JDate!

I had never dated a Jewish man, and my mother guilted me into going on JDate, but I was reluctant because I knew most of the guys on there, anyway. Turns out that mama knew best!

You are like my FI! He didn''t want to join, wasn''t into dating Jews, but his mom guilted him so he tried it under pressure. Poor guy- he gets stuck with an almost Orthodox Jew. Was that a shocker for him .
9.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 12:16:07 AM
Author: gaby06
I was out at dinner with a group of friends at my favorite Mexican restaurant in the East Village of Manhattan. Outside was a cute guy that said hello. We talked for a couple minutes, there was an immediate connection so we exchanged numbers and met again for dinner at the same restaurant. We dated and fell in love and were married in Central Park the following summer.
25.gif
30.gif
31.gif

nice story! What restaurant is this? I live in the East Village...

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
in somebody else''s room watching TV in a college dorm. i really disliked him - on SIGHT! he was a jock, he''d just come back from football training, and he ignored being introduced to me to keep watching TV. kinda said hallo to me over his shoulder but never made eye contact. i thought "i know your type, you arrogant, thick headed, stuck-on-yourself jerk!"

three days later i knew i wanted to marry him. (we''d had a few conversations in between our disastrous intro and then)

17 months later, i did. he was 19 and i was 23.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 1:05:45 PM
Author: whitby_2773
in somebody else''s room watching TV in a college dorm. i really disliked him - on SIGHT! he was a jock, he''d just come back from football training, and he ignored being introduced to me to keep watching TV. kinda said hallo to me over his shoulder but never made eye contact. i thought ''i know your type, you arrogant, thick headed, stuck-on-yourself jerk!''

three days later i knew i wanted to marry him. (we''d had a few conversations in between our disastrous intro and then)

Wow, that''s cool! I always used to joke that a big difference between humans and apes was that human girls didn''t all want to line up for the captain of the football team. Then I married the captain of the football team. I really didn''t know that jocks could be soooo nice!
9.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
We had a class together in college. I hated him for a while...I think the story''s floating around here somewhere. But eventually we became friends, and then we started dating. 4 years and a bit later, we''re still going strong (though our same friends who told us we''d end up dating when we were just friends told us a while ago that they thought we''d "go down in flames after a few months").

dendon

Shiny_Rock
We met at a bar before a Guns n Roses concert in Worcester, MA. I saw him in his white jeans, fringed leather coat and cowboy boots (that tells you how long ago it was) and after a lot of tequila, it was love!! We''ve been together 18 years now.

emteeth.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
We met at our alma mater, in the dorms. We lived across the hall from each other frosh year and slowly built a friendship over time. We started dating at the end of our Junior year (about 1-2 weeks before finals), and we''ve been pretty much inseparable since. Minus the long distance relationship thing... lol.

5.5 years and counting...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 1:05:45 PM
Author: whitby_2773
in somebody else''s room watching TV in a college dorm. i really disliked him - on SIGHT! he was a jock, he''d just come back from football training, and he ignored being introduced to me to keep watching TV. kinda said hallo to me over his shoulder but never made eye contact. i thought ''i know your type, you arrogant, thick headed, stuck-on-yourself jerk!''

Awwwww! Whitby, that''s so sweet! How long have you guys been married?
face23.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, mine is a bit of a long story.

I'd just moved to Hong Kong after having lived in the UK for some 16 years. I'd just broken up from my ex-fiancee (glad to have got away from him actually, he's a total psycho, but that's another story altogther), took up an expat job, knew no-one initially but soon made loads of friends and was generally having a hell of a time being young, free and single
2.gif
1.gif

One night I went to a bar in Central with my ex-colleague (who apparently was after me, to my total oblivion) after work and was introduced to this tall "kwai-lo" (Cantonese for "white devil", sometimes used affectionately, other times not so much
3.gif
) who was smoking and drinking, was wearing this horrible old jacket and generally just looked horrible (I found out later he'd been playing rugby, which explained a couple of bruises on his face, LOL). I just talked to him socially, you know as one does. He tried to impress me with his Chinese which I found totally bewildering, given that I am Vietnamese and can't understand a word of Chinese anyway, ha ha.

So after that we didn't meet up for a couple more months, then we met up again with the same ex-colleague. We went to have Thai food afterwards and I ate like a pig (LOL) which apparently impressed him, because up til then, all the girls he'd met were always eating lettuce and carrot sticks.

He then invited me to a rugby 7's event which is this really big once-a-year social event in HK, you know, a game which is really an excuse for young (and sometimes older) people to get really stupidly drunk and generally merry. Well, the rest is history.
2.gif
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 10:58:50 AM
Author: Phoenix

One night I went to a bar in Central with my ex-colleague (who apparently was after me, to my total oblivion) after work and was introduced to this tall ''kwai-lo'' (Cantonese for ''white devil'', sometimes used affectionately, other times not so much
3.gif
) who was smoking and drinking, was wearing this horrible old jacket and generally just looked horrible (I found out later he''d been playing rugby, which explained a couple of bruises on his face, LOL). I just talked to him socially, you know as one does. He tried to impress me with his Chinese which I found totally bewildering, given that I am Vietnamese and can''t understand a word of Chinese anyway, ha ha.
LOL!!
9.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny story. My brother and I worked at the same place one summer, and DH was returning there to work for the summer too. I had never met him, as it was my first summer at the place. Beforehand, my brother said "If you date him, I''ll kill him and disown you!!". He kind of meant it. LOL! So we started dating within a couple of weeks of meeting, and were married a year later. Now 27 years down the line my brother has never admitted to hating my DH back then. But I have to say, when your brother issues an ultimatum like that when you are 20, well, it kind of gives you a reason to be bad! Bad was a great choice as it turns out. They never did fight either. They get along just fine.

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
FF and I met at a funeral..

It was a horrible day for me, but it gave me the greatest gift ever in the end...my soulmate!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results