shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you meet your spouse or SO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was on my school debating team and we were debating against his school. We went on a night out afterwards as I was trying to get my friend together with one of the guys on the other team and D came along for the night out and that was that. We got talking and went on our first date a few days later.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
We met my first weekend at college. I went to a 30,000 person school where I knew 1 person, which was a guy a year ahead of me that I had played golf with in high school. My now FI was my only friend's new roomate. We ended up sitting in a booth for over 2 hours talking... I was in love after that night. We dated about a month, and he ended things to be with a girl that he had been obsessing about for the last year.
I was heart broken and very bitter. We didn't talk for almost a year, until he fell down a flight of stairs in front of me at a mixer (Not drunk actually...well, yet). I couldn't ignore him anymore, he had just fallen down stairs for heaven sake. So we laughed and caught up a bit. We were both in relationships, but decided I could put the past behind us and attempt a friendship.
My relationship ended before his and my rebound was a fraternity brother of his. We got to hang out more and he helped me alot with things I was "dealing" with regarding my breakup. We lerned alot about each other, why he hated the relationship he was in, became really close, and then he graduated.
He moved back to Houston and broke up with his gf. We would hang out when he came to visit and I visited him a few times my last summer at school. Then I graduated and moved back to DFW. 1 month after getting a job at home, C came to visit to attend a Texans/Cowboys game, called me at 2 o'clock the night before the game, saying his friend didn't drive up from Austin, and he wanted me to come with.
Well, when I drove up to the hotel, he picked me up and kissed me. We were so excited we were both shaking. When he had to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter, in order to make his flight, we just knew that it couldn't wait any longer, and we've been together since.

It was 2.5 years on the 15th, and we're getting married one month shy of 7 years after meeting that first night
30.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I love hearing all the different stories!!
1.gif

FI and I met at work - I was on a stint through his office on a training program, and he was one of the project managers there. I worked under him for a while, and he was so nice - didn't act superior or smarter than me, and actually took the time to teach me things. There was underlying interest between us for months, but we never spoke of it. We still maintained a great professional relationship and I really learned a lot while I worked there. We finally starting hanging out outside work, and never let anyone at work know. We were in love immediately.
9.gif
Within a few months from then, my training started in a new office. Now, almost 2 years later than I met him, I work in a different office, we're still together, and getting married sometime within the next year hopefully, haha.
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby and I met at work. I had been divorced for a couple of years, he had never been married. We became best friends instantly and were and are inseparable. We married 2 years later. We have been together for 30 years and married for 28
30.gif
30.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread idea-it''s interesting, the different stories!

JD met my brother at a party and they started hanging out. I was 18, my brother was 17, JD was 19. My brother and I share the same group of friends, and JD fit in really well. We all partied together. One night when I was 24 or so, JD asked me out, I said yes, and we dated for a few months, but he was not ready for a girlfriend, so I called it quits. We stayed friends and continued on same as before. I dated a couple other guys and it didn''t work out. After being alone for a while, I decided I wanted a little extra curricular activities without the hassle of a boyfriend, so I asked JD about being friends w/benefits. We were married a little less than 2 years after that, and celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary November 2008.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I been engaged before and burned badly, so for a long time I concentrated on my career and dated occasionally if the opportunity presented itself but I wasn''t looking for anything serious.

I had been on vacation and filled out one of those little forms that really links you to a time-share tour. You know, the one that everyone wins. Well, I won (lol) and during the phone call informing me of this the lady starts talking about my partner. I informed her that I was single...she was like "no husband, no boyfriend, no nothing?"...I was like "nope, just me"...and she hemmed and hawed and then had to transfer me to her supervisor because they didn''t allow singles to partake in this. The supervisior started telling me to bring my Mom...my mother. I mortified. It would have been better if he said friend! I got flustered and told him to shove it and hung up.

But, it got me thinking...I was spending a lot of time alone and at some point I''d have to get back into the dating scene if I ever wanted to settle down or atleast get to take free* vacations.

So, after a bottle of red wine, I signed up for eHarmony...after painstaking honesty, eHarmony "regretfully" informed me that I had no match in their entire database!
39.gif

I moved on to Match.com (I''m nothing if not persistant)...and my first match was my now-husband! Take that eHarmony!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I came to Atlanta to look for a house when I was moving from Seattle. On my very last day in Atlanta, I popped over to see some friends I had here and sort of set myself up with my friends for after I moved. I met my now DH that afternoon ever so briefly. Really thought nothing of it. Once I was settled about six weeks later, I met him again and we were running in the same circles. I was interested pretty much immediately, but he''s the shy boy that wants to make double sure a girl is interested before he puts himself out there. That added to the fact that he''d gotten burned in the spring made him gun shy. I was DETERMINED to get him to ask me out. It took me about four weeks of being blatantly obvious and all but asking him out myself, but he finally did. We were inseperable after that. We just worked- far better than any relationship I''d ever been in. We were engaged 12 weeks later and married 11 weeks after that. It''ll be two years on Monday.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 1:53:09 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I been engaged before and burned badly, so for a long time I concentrated on my career and dated occasionally if the opportunity presented itself but I wasn''t looking for anything serious.

I had been on vacation and filled out one of those little forms that really links you to a time-share tour. You know, the one that everyone wins. Well, I won (lol) and during the phone call informing me of this the lady starts talking about my partner. I informed her that I was single...she was like ''no husband, no boyfriend, no nothing?''...I was like ''nope, just me''...and she hemmed and hawed and then had to transfer me to her supervisor because they didn''t allow singles to partake in this. The supervisior started telling me to bring my Mom...my mother. I mortified. It would have been better if he said friend! I got flustered and told him to shove it and hung up.

But, it got me thinking...I was spending a lot of time alone and at some point I''d have to get back into the dating scene if I ever wanted to settle down or atleast get to take free* vacations.

So, after a bottle of red wine, I signed up for eHarmony...after painstaking honesty, eHarmony ''regretfully'' informed me that I had no match in their entire database!
39.gif

I moved on to Match.com (I''m nothing if not persistant)...and my first match was my now-husband! Take that eHarmony!
Wow, I love your story. How funny & cute & great.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
We met at his ex-girlfriends house during a party she was throwing
11.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:31:48 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
11.gif
Are you sure it wasn''t a swinger''s convention?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
We met in middle school, in the gifted program.
1.gif
We had crushes on each other but never knew, then we BRIEFLY dated in high school while I was on hiatus with my other boyfriend. One day after graduation I grew tired of the on again off again thing and started dating my fiance instead. (I skipped all the dramatic parts!)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:32:55 PM
Author: elledizzy5

11.gif
It may as well have been, because we ended up in, um, a dark place. LOL I will never tell my future kids THAT story.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:36:08 PM

Date: 4/17/2009 2:32:55 PM
Author: elledizzy5

11.gif
It may as well have been, because we ended up in, um, a dark place. LOL I will never tell my future kids THAT story.
LOL.

Yeah, my kids will never hear the "real" story either.
11.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 2:28:45 PM
Author: mscushion

I had been on vacation and filled out one of those little forms that really links you to a time-share tour. You know, the one that everyone wins. Well, I won (lol) and during the phone call informing me of this the lady starts talking about my partner. I informed her that I was single...she was like ''no husband, no boyfriend, no nothing?''...I was like ''nope, just me''...and she hemmed and hawed and then had to transfer me to her supervisor because they didn''t allow singles to partake in this. The supervisior started telling me to bring my Mom...my mother. I mortified. It would have been better if he said friend! I got flustered and told him to shove it and hung up.

So, after a bottle of red wine, I signed up for eHarmony...after painstaking honesty, eHarmony ''regretfully'' informed me that I had no match in their entire database!
39.gif

Wow, I love your story. How funny & cute & great.
Thanks! I''m partial to it, myself!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
He hired me!

I had been working at a Starbucks in the shopping center next to his restaurant. My manager was being psycho, and I was convinced she was getting ready to try to fire me, TOTALLY WITHOUT A GOOD REASON, so one Thursday I walked across the parking lot and filled out an application at the restaurant.

The hostess told me to hang on a minute, and if I sat down a manager would be right with me. So Joey came over, sat down, looked over my application, we talked a bit about why I was leaving and I told him honestly about PsychoWoman. He asked me if I could start Monday and I said yes.
9.gif

He liked me at first, so he would flirt with me, but I was with the man I *thought* I was going to marry, so I didn't really respond. Sure we flirted, everyone does in restaurants it seems, and he was my "safe" guy to flirt with - I knew he knew I was involved, so it didn't matter, he knew nothing was going to happen, and if he wanted to flirt I wasn't going to stop him! In retrospect, I'd be more careful with someone's feelings, but that was a long time ago! Everyone thought we were hooking up, but we weren't AT ALL, I was totally faithful to my ex. So eventually he stopped flirting with me and we just became friends, very good ones in fact.

So a few years goes by, I no longer work at the restaurant and I break up with the ex, and he breaks up with the Crazy he's dating, and we're both single a while. One day at the very beginning of December '06 we said "Hey, we should go out and catch up, it's been a while since we've hung out!" So we went out to a good bar and had a drink... literally one each, we didn't get drunk! He offered me a ride home and I accepted.

Back then The Fray wasn't a very popular band, and I was introduced to them by a friend who was really into indie music. But Joey also knew of them, and had the CD in his car! How To Save A Life was playing when we pulled into the parking lot of my building, and I said "Wait! Don't turn the car off! I love this song!"

...An hour later, the song was playing again, and we were still kissing. And the rest is history
30.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I met my FI about 4 months after I first moved here from the other end of the country (England. I moved from Bolton in the north west, to Poole on the beautiful south coast). I had been working 60 hour weeks and not getting out to actually meet people. Then on Valentine's Day 2002 I decided to go out and try to meet some people. I went out to a rock club my brother recommended. ("Just your kind of music sis, you'll love it!) I was only looking for friendship. Men were certainly not on the menu for me as I had moved due to a very horrific breakup. Safe to say, no one in the nightclub I went to spoke to me. Apart from one of the security guys and a couple of brief hellos.

I wasn't put off and went back there two nights later, again on my own and this character caught my eye. We ended up dancing near each other to "Ever Fallen In Love With Someone You Shouldn't Have?" by The Buzzcocks and got talking. Within minutes he had my phone number. We had a drunken kiss and I went home expecting never to hear from him again. He was drunk and I thought he was a little odd! haha

I was right. He is odd, but I love him so, so much. He text me the next day and after a couple of months of the occasional passion but mostly friendship, he decided to give it a go. Bless him...We have been together ever since. We have our fall outs and have nearly split up once before but we love each other and seal our relationship this August when we will become husband and wife.

We still go out to this club fairly regularly.

We always laugh about the choice of song that was playing the moment we met, maybe a bad omen? We choose to ignore it if it is. We have a lot of fun together.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 11:10:59 AM
Author: sba771
JDate!!! But it was a small world because we lived 4 blocks from one another it turned out...I think we would have met eventually.
DH and I met on JDate!

I had never dated a Jewish man, and my mother guilted me into going on JDate, but I was reluctant because I knew most of the guys on there, anyway. Turns out that mama knew best!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
In a bar, where his best friend was hitting on me - I was at said bar for a drink after a bad blind date. When best friend asked why I was drinking alone, I told him the story & we had a laugh over it. When he excused himself to go to the bathroom, I saw DH, who was sitting on the other side of him, and the angels started singing. It''s pretty much history from there.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
A mutual friend introduced us to each other at a party and we had been inseparable since. At the time, however, I was involved with someone else who was completing his PhD in nuclear physics in Texas. I broke up with him over the phone after I dated my DH for a couple of months.

Funny thing is I really only dated 3 guys seriously and all three were either nuclear physicists or nuclear engineers. Does anyone see a pattern here?

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Lol. I just wrote my whole story out and comp crashed.

Oh well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Myspace. He was living with his ex at the time, and I was looking for new friends. We talked over messages, and not long afterwards they broke up. We then met in person and it was all over from that point on.

(And no, he did not dump her for me.)

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I forgot to add..

About 2.5 - 3 years BEFORE we met we actually spoke to each other a few times on a yahoo chat room (an indie music room).

We only realised this AFTER we had started going out. We were both really into a UK band called Mansun. I used to get distracted on the chatroom in the university library instead of doing essays. We were randomly chatting about the band not long after we met and I mentioned the chat room and he confessed he used to go on it too. We remembered each other because we both had a Mansun related username on there. Mine was Moronica (one of their songs) and his was InSaNe_StOvE (after one of the members of the band and an incident when he jumped into the crowd and attacked someone with his bass for making homophobic remarks...incidentally, the whole band are straight!! LOL).

What a coincidence though...like it was meant to be.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I met my husband of 25 years thru a blind date, he was my cousins boss and my cousin fixed us up.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I met my hubby on an online forum
1.gif
I swear!

I got a new car in summer of 04 and signed up to the model specific car forum. Basically it is a 9 to 1 ratio of men to women.
Mostly they talk about modding cars and they also have car meets (like the GTG that this board has).
Well anyway I asked a question about my car and he was the first one to respond (literally like a minute after I wrote the question).
We ended up PMing eachother for a while after that and that lead to AIM chats at all hours of the night.
We finally met in person at one of the car meets. We were both in relationships but ended them... the rest is history
9.gif

We will have been together 5 years (married 1) in August.
30.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock

39.gif

love your story! especially the E harmony part - it reminds me of the commericals. and come to think of it, i had better luck with match.com too!!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock

39.gif

that''s great! love the outcome of your story

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
Let me preface this with I had just graduated college that summer, been working in my major(marketing) for over a year, had just bought a house and had ended a long on again off again relationship with my high school sweetheart. I was excited to decorate my new home, have me time and maybe date here and there..just have fun.

Our dad''s live across the street from each other so we met in the front yards. He was visiting for xmas and we happened to be out at the same time so I introduced myself b/c I didn''t know who he was. (I worked full time for his brother in law and kept their kids when they went on long trips) 22 days later we talked again and went out on a date. 11 days later he proposed(this is where my screen name came from..rock in 11) 2 days after that he went back to work in Guam. 3 months later we met in Hawaii and got married. That will be 4 years ago May 2. oh-and he is almost 13 years older than me.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My husband was my landlord. I moved into a house he co-owned with his mom, it was rented to a friend of his and two other girls. One was a coworker, she was moving out and knew I was looking for a place to live. I met him, moved in, we hit it off, things got weird with the roommate that was his friend, we stopped dating, I moved up, we took back up again. We''ve been together 5 years, married 2 and a 1/2.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
We met the old fashioned way. We met while I was out celebrating my friend Gail''s birthday (almost exactly 8 years ago). I came off the dance floor, saw him standing there with his friend Julian and I started bugging him about not being out on the dance floor so his response was, "let''s go" and we danced all night long. He made sure I knew his full name (with spelling) and I gave him my number, something I rarely do. Some time passed and I didn''t hear from him so I took it upon myself to give him a call (I am not your average bear). We went out for drinks and I laughed so much! We started hanging out together very casually and over time something happened, he was always there for me, so caring and somehow managed to get in under my radar. It is such a small world, I used to date one of his employees and when Philip was 7 or so he played hockey with my little brother and his dad knew mine from the community association. I am so lucky that the universe created a situation in which we could come together :0)!

niccia

Shiny_Rock
We met in my first year of uni. His best friend was my floor mate in residence. I am three years older than him, and he was going to a school in a different province. He said hello to me in the hall, and then approached me later at a nightclub. I thought he was really cute and I just felt something for him immediately, but I didn''t really care for his best friend at the time so I didn''t make much effort to talk to any of them. Six months later ex-floor mate dropped by my apartment with him and we all went out for the night...I will leave out the rest of the details but lets just say we got to know each other a little too quickly that night lol. After that, he went back to school but we kept talking on the phone for 6 months. When he finally came home for the summer, we started dating and were together for over 2 somewhat rocky years. I loved him to pieces by then but he was still immature in a lot of ways and not as ready for kids and a family as I was. So he broke up with me right before my graduation and seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet. I didn''t even see him before I moved home to the other side of the country and he never called/emailed me once in two years. I was very bitter about the situation for a long time, and heartbroken. After a couple months, I picked myself back up and focused on my career. I did date here and there but nothing too serious, and I never found anyone I bonded with in the same way. When other relationships would end, I would always find myself crying over him again. I guess there really wasn''t any closure for me. Long story short, two years passed and out of nowhere I receive an email from his best friend inviting me to a concert out East and telling me that he knew FI would really love to see me again. I didn''t really know what to make of it, but curiosity got the best of me and I flew back there to go to the concert with them. My FI gave me a sheepish hug when I saw him and apparently I resembled an icicle
20.gif
He took me to lunch almost immediately and apologized for what he had done and told me that it took him awhile to realize it but he knew he still loved me and always had. I probably took him back a little too quickly, because it took me several months to really forgive him. We got engaged right after that and he has been the perfect SO ever since. The biggest difference now is that I am the one who is focused on work. I also have a hard time being back East because I set up my life out West after our break-up. We love each other though, so we do our best to make it work because neither of us want to lose each other again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results