shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you choose your setting? What was your decision making process??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I love so many different types of settings, it''s making it difficult to focus on one and go for it. I wonder how everyone chose their settings/sets, was it this hard???
I love different things about these settings below, and haven''t even looked at other choices in NYC! I always loved antiques (since i was 8 yrs old) and still do and feel maybe i should remain true to that because i don''t feel comfortable w/ modern ring styles..
I want my wedding set to:
1. be unique and detailed
2. be eye catching
3. I want the center stone up more than 1/4" off finger
4. be wide look on finger (whole set) -size 7 finger

**Plus I cannot decide between a Round (85% sure) and
Cushion cut - brilliant, I guess?
These are my favorites: Let me know what you think, and what''s your favorite and why.... that would be great!

1. Faycullen.com : 105M3D (white gold wedding set, illusion mounting/antique style w/ bead set rounds & 2 baguettes)

2. Foreverjewelers.com : "engagement mountings"
pg. 3, top row, 1st set, white gold w/ rounds and baguettes, but more of a modern style?do u think? - i asked them - they can make the 6 prong head into a 4 prong or illusion mounting /I like this one because of the "textures" of diamonds, you''ve got the sleek crystal look of the baguettes in differnt. directions and the bead set details of the small rounds; wonder if 2 modern?

3. Foreverjewelers.com - pg.1, 4th row down, 3rd set (classic 50''s style white gold wedding set)$1050. I like this set bec. it''s cute and so vintage looking and simple, but not..

4. Royal Crown Vatche - in 18kt gold; plain solitaire
(totally opposite of the other 2, right?) I love this butter yellow gold and the way this setting tapers to the diamond - it''s very elegant. I like how the diamond is set very high; i love the design. I don''t know if it''s too plain??

Would love to hear thoughts on these settings and any recommendations !!!
wavey.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them all but I will suggest that if you dont want the upkeep to go with platinum vs white gold. It holds its white color longer. With intricate settings I would think having to have it replated could get frustrating.

That said, FayCullen has some of the coolest stuff. My grandmas is very similar to that.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I have been going CRAZY trying to decide on my setting – so I understand exactly where you are coming from.

Let’s start with the stone – this decision should be made before you select the setting – this will affect the whole look of the ring! (IMO!) Also, it depends on the size and quality of the stone you choose.

Personally, I’m a fan of the round brilliant, and especially in that Fay Cullen setting you picked out – what a head turner! I think they look bigger and sparklier than other cuts – why not choose that and have an original setting, than a stone that might wind up being a “trendy cut”. (Please don’t flame for my opinion!)

My whole goal in selecting my setting was to be original, to have a ring that people will say, “WOW – where did you get that? It’s so different!” That Fay Cullen setting REALLY does that for me!

My number 1 suggestion to you is to go to a few jewelry stores and look at settings in person – it’s amazing how different a setting can look on the computer compared to real life! (Don’t get me wrong; I think buying on the Internet is GREAT! But get a feel for the styles you like in person first!)

A perfect example is the Ritani endless love setting – I think it looks ugly on their website – but in person it was gorgeous! What I did in making my final decision is cut out pictures of what I like, took it to my jeweler, and he custom made a piece for me with all of the elements of what I liked.

Here are some other sites I looked at when deciding on a setting:

www.antiqueenagementrings.com
www.greggruth.com
www.tacori.com
www.richardlandi.com

Good luck!

And let me know if you want info on my jeweler, he’s in the NY area.

PS: By no means am i a professional, like half the people on this board. I'm just a rock lover!!
1.gif

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Yes I would love a recommendation for someone in the NY area, in NYC??

I would love to see your final ring pic! Those sites have beautiful settings!

I love the fay cullen setting but no jeweler (asked 4)
can get it shipped to NY for me to try it on. I would love to see it in person. The only thing w/ that ring (aside from it being a final sale) is that it can only, only
fit a 1.33 or 7.2 mm diameter stone! That would really narrow my search for a diamond a lot!

What do you think about the other sets? modern? flashY?
appl.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
When i was choosing my setting, i wanted something classic, yet not the common "tiffany" type solitaire (not that those arent great!).. i also love the antiqie look, but thought better to save that style for a right hand ring or something...so i opted for the Vatche RC setting..its like a simple solitaire with some added flair and elegance to it. It sits the perfect height off my finger. I love my setting and get compliments on it all the time! There are just so many beautiful settings to choose from, i can understand how it would be overwhelming.. i still go into stores and look online at everyone elses settings and just drooool...it give me ideas for future projects! ehehehe...
naughty.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I chose my Tacori because I had a dream about it. Then after we ordered it, my boyriend had a dream about it too!

So, that made it easy, but I was leaning toward it anyway - it was the only one with both the Tacori scalloping I love, little sidestones (I don't like solitaires), and a basket setting for the center diamond (I don't like settings with prongs coming out of one spot, it reminds me of an octopus!).

There's a few pics of it on this thread:
My setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results