shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you approach your custom project? And - Give me some ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
While I was looking for my wedding band, I noticed an awesome citrine necklace that I liked at a jewelry store... which got me thinking... hmmm...
30.gif

And now,
I''m looking into getting some stones from Richard H., and I''m trying to narrow down what I want.

All I know so far, is that I am looking to get a necklace and earrrings to wear on my wedding day! :) I haven''t even picked out the colors of the bridesmaid dresses, or my own dress yet, because I''m choosing jewelry first. Yeah, I know, how backwards, right? :)

So - here''s what kind of input I''m looking for from you guys...

I''m considering blue zircon (something blue ;-) ). (What''s your opinion on this stone? Are there other stones that you like better?) I would get into what color bridesmaid dresses at David''s Bridal you think might look good with blue zircon - but, I''ll spare you all from that conversation.
19.gif

Also - I want the pendant to be fairly substantial (yet not *too* chunky), and definately something that is sort of "special occasion" and that I can pass down.

The problem is, I don''t even know how to estimate how much something will cost...
22.gif

I basically don''t have enough information to know what kinds of designs would fall within the range of "doable"... Anyone want to wager an estimate of a price range I''ll be looking at for this type of project? Like, examples of custom or semi-custom stuff, and about how much it cost? (Not including the stones, R.H. and I have already talked a bit about that...)

I want to have a good idea of what some of the different cost factors are before I start talking with someone - but, I don''t want to draw up a great design just to find that I''m *way* out of line with what I can feasibly do from a $$$ perspective....

Thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i believe in the trial and error system. why not draw up what you think you want and get some estimates? you''re out nothing but your time and trouble. and it will educate you as to what prices are and help you to decide what tradeoffs you are willing to make. otherwise, the easiest thing to do is to buy a set already made.....and there is nothiing wrong with that either.

search around the internet and pricescope threads to find ideas and see what blue zircon can look like set. check out some b&m stores. zircon is not necessarily a good choice for a ring but for for what you''re going to use it for, it is well suited. it is not an expensive stone when compared to other color stones. yet it can look quite elegant, depending on how it is set.

i would add that i would think a richard h stone is definitely worth a custum setting.....but look around for ideas, draw up your own, and then shop it for price. lots will also depend on whether you plan to add diamonds and what metal you plan to use.

movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I agree with MZ. If you know (more or less) what you want, draw it out and ask some jewelers what it would take for them to make it. If you''re not sure what you want then some good places to look for ideas are antique jewelry websites (if you want an antique or retro look) or if you want something more contemporary go to http://agta.org and look through the Spectrum Awards winners and if you see something you like then do a search for the designer to get a website or contact info. It doesn''t hurt to ask if they do custom work. And even if they don''t, the Spectrum Awards is a really good place for ideas for colored stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results