shape
carat
color
clarity

How Did I Do?

johnyt1990

Rough_Rock
When I got into this I knew there was going to be a learning curve, but it is a lot more complicated than what I thought. I want to walk you through my thinking process, and hopefully you can tell me if I am on the right track

Budget: Originally my budget was 1500 CAD but I bumped it up to 2200 CAD. This includes the setting
Cut: From my research, it is pretty much virtually agreed that cut is king, so I have only been looking at ideal cuts from JA
Colour: I have found that H is a nice compromise between budget and colour
Clarity: I have limited my searches between SI1-VS1
Carats: Based on all the other criteria, I have found that the sized of the diamond I can afford is about 0.46-0.47 carats

Does the above seem reasonable for a budget minded shopper? I would love some input.

Now on to the hard part, finding the right diamond.

Based on my search criteria this is the diamond I have selected, I really like the price of this one because if I go with this diamond i can stay within my original budget

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.46-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-757826

This is the search criteria I have been using: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=0.46&CaratTo=0.47&Color=H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1&Cut=Ideal,Excellent&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&ViewsOptions=Images&advancedParameter=Flour&showAdvanced=show&Polish=&Symmetry=&Lab=&Flour=None,Negligible,Faint&DepthFrom=45&DepthTo=80&TableFrom=50&TableTo=83

So how did I do, did I pick a good option within my budget or am I way off the mark?

Lastly, I like the idea of getting a knife edge setting, I feel like since I am picking a smaller diamond it will make the diamond seem bigger. James Allen has a knife edge diamond for a really good price, is there something wrong with it?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115

Thanks in advance!

PS: Please forgive the grammatical errors, I am running on very little sleep!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

johnyt1990

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Thanks for your reply!

What does an IS mean?

Also, is the setting I chose not a true knife edge? Or is it built in such a way that it doesn't sacrifice comfort?

Do you suggest 6 prongs because that will keep the diamond more secure?

Thanks for the discount tip and sorry for all the questions!

Cheers

johnyt1990

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

So I figured out IS stands for idealscope. JA would be able to do it for the second diamond, but not the first.

Cheers

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, since you still have $500US available in your budget, I'd go with a larger diamond. (but i'm selfish... hehe)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
johnyt1990|1453928301|3982534 said:
Hi Gypsy,

So I figured out IS stands for idealscope. JA would be able to do it for the second diamond, but not the first.

Cheers
Get it then :)

6 prongs is safer and will make the stone look rounder.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results