shape
carat
color
clarity

How did I do ? First diamond purchase ever.

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just bought my first diamond and just wanted some feedback. Unfortunately, I just found this site after I bought the diamond but I might still be able to return it (JamesAllen). It was at very top of my budget and I was trying to get 3/4 carat with very good cut, color and good clarity. Not sure about the fluroence, I actually only noticed that after I bought it and hope it doesn't affect the diamond negatively.

Price: $ 2,410
SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 0.74
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VS2
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Strong
L/W/D (MM): 5.76*5.73*3.61
L/W RATIO: 1.01
DEPTH %: 62.70
GIRDLE: Medium - Slightly Thick
TABLE %: 57.00
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 35.50
CROWN %: 15.50
PAVILION ∠: 41.00
PAVILION %: 43.50

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.74-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2236597

I appreciate your feedback and I also ready to learn more so I might pick a better stone next time.

Oliver

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us find you one that is better cut...that's not a good one. Give me a sec...

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for the replies. Those diamonds do look great, would you advise to try and cancel the order? I do need it pretty urgently for the proposal.

Also what is wrong about the cut? Just so I know for next time.

Oliver

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you need it urgently, stick with JA and get them to swap the diamonds around, will be much quicker. Yes I'd still advise you change the diamond to one of the above, providing they are eye clean as per JA

Remember to ask for a james allen advantage discount which may knock a few precious dollars off the price.

Your cut involves lack of complementary angles (the crown and pavilion angles are not well suited). Using the HCA tool available on this site, it would discourage you from that diamond you picked.

Basic aims are

Table: 54-58
Crown 34-35 (35.5 ok with 40.6 pav)
Pavilion 40.6 - 40.8 (41 ok with 34 crown)
depth: 59.5-62.3

Those are not the ONLY specs that make a beautiful diamond, but buying online, blind, will be much more likely to do so.

If you have time, requesting an ASET (or Idealscope) would give you more information regarding on the light return of the diamond, although usually takes a couple of days extra to acquire.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto gm89uk...have them cancel the one stone and order the other.

Which setting are you going with?

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Yikes, I called them and they cannot change without it being delayed 5-6 business days because the stones are oversees and I do need the ring next Wednesday when we go on vacation so that would be cutting it very short and they told me it would probably not be ready by then.
I will just go with the diamond I have and hope my girlfriend likes it and if not we can still switch the stone out. Thank you guys very much for your advise. I wish I would have asked earlier.

I am going with this setting:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17445

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of the stones suggested are overseas?

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
All the JamesAllen ones, at least that's what they told me.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nevermind! All the best with your proposal

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can exchange the center stone after you propose if you find its not up to par.

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much !

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omuelle1|1480424981|4103388 said:
They have this one locally available that I could switch to:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2112798

Is this one a better option ? It get's almost a 2 on the HCA tool. I would need a quick answer since I am short on time.

Oliver

Can you get an aset image on it asap?

I would rather have this stone then the one you originally posted but if possible I would want to see an aset image. Not sure if
you have the time. If not...I say switch to this stone either way.

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick reply. It would take them 5-7 days to get the image so that's a deal breaker. I see if I can switch to this stone still, running a little low on time.

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Stone has been exchanged. They say it should take 2-3 business days extra, so it will be a close call. Thank you guys again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omuelle1|1480429932|4103406 said:
Stone has been exchanged. They say it should take 2-3 business days extra, so it will be a close call. Thank you guys again!

Great...glad they could switch it out for you. You still might consider switching this one out after you propose. JA has a good return
policy...

Good luck with your proposal!

omuelle1

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I might consider it depending on it looks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results