shape
carat
color
clarity

How did Finn do today

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kristi, have been thinking of Finn today. Hope he made it through with flying colors. We had surgery later in life for both Pepsi & King, (both within this last year) & both required 24-36 hours to get back to themselves (i.e. the after effects of anesthesia) after surgery. These older pups just don't process it as well as the younger ones.

Was it simply a teeth cleaning or more involved oral surgery for dear Finn?

We spoke of getting another dog for the 1st time last night at dinner. I think we decided to wait. Its nice having Jack to ourselves, but I am so worried he is so lost right now. All he's ever known is 2 other dogs around, this is the first time he's not had someone to pal around with. As a result, I take him everywhere. & walk him far more than usual, which isn't such a bad thing either :)

His personality is coming out more, thats for sure, & we've learned he is quite the loner. Altho trying to figure out if this is his normal MO or his stage of grieving is a question.

I hope Finn is resting easily this evening! :)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sarah, and thank you for asking and caring about Finnie boy. He goes in tomorrow morning, 7 am. Its laser cleaning and x-rays under anesthesia, extractions as needed (I hope not too many).

I know what you mean about anesthesia and our senior dogs. Finn turned 14 in October. Excellent health except his hind legs are weak due to bad knees and malalignment due to short dog=short legs. I'm worried about him postop, groggy, trying to get up on those crappy hind legs.

I consulted with a board-certified animal oral surgeon and with our internist vet and the internist vet does everything the other guy does with the exception that 2 vet techs are with Finn from the moment he arrives until he leaves. The internist vet is letting me micro manage a little, I wanted Finn to be the first procedure of the day, I wanted it on Tuesday, and the 2 vet techs are certified and are Finn's in-home dogsitters, so he knows them well.

I used Whole Dog Journal's check list for a pet undergoing surgery (these are the questions you ask ahead of time to ensure the most professional and safe surgery possible).

I will post back tomorrow when I've heard from the vet, and thank you, Sarah, and the NIRDI babes and PS friends.

I'm going to post a pic of my best boy Finn. He is also my avatar :bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to get this pic to submit right side up. I'll get it one of these days.

Here is Finnie and his toy on his fave doggie nest. Kenny's girls have this doggie nest, I believe.

Sarah, I bet Jack is lonely for his 4 legger buddies. Maybe give it a little time and see if he adjusts to being an only?

img_20150624_185752.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I did what you said you do, and it posted right side up!! :dance: :clap: :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finn loves to swim, we put them life jackets so they can swim as opposed to NOT DROWN, :lol: The ramp is so he can swim up and then walk out of the pool, no risky jumping in and out. The mat is for traction as they are wet.

We try EVERYTHING to keep those awful musculoskeletal injuries at bay.

_38636.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my he is a handsome boy--wonderful he can swim Kristi, its so nice you have that ramp for him. Does he go into the pool willingly? Or does he need a bit of coaxing--I bet he enjoys the exercise & the cooling off! I don't think our Jack would go into the pool...he's so timid & afraid of anything not normal, i.e. a paper towel on the floor, an iPhone on the bed etc etc.

It sounds like you have the surgery all arranged perfectly for him Kristi! It will be such a relief to pick him up tomorrow. Our King had the same surgery, as well as an extraction--maybe 2, cant remember exactly. Moist food helps post-recovery, & yes, they are groggy naturally, but the older dogs just don't snap out of it as easy. Both Pepsi & King took another 12-24 hours to fully recover, then absolutely no problems at all. I'll say some prayers for him Krisiti & will keep looking for your update tomorrow.

Now what was Missy's picture advice? That'll teach me to keep up with the Nirdis! I didn't upload Jacks pic as it posted sideways....grrrr....

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1480384026|4103257 said:
Finn loves to swim, we put them life jackets so they can swim as opposed to NOT DROWN, :lol: The ramp is so he can swim up and then walk out of the pool, no risky jumping in and out. The mat is for traction as they are wet.

ARGH!!!! FINN. IS. SO. CUTE!!! :twirl: :loopy: :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1480384026|4103257 said:

Love this picture of Finn. Sending mega PS dust his way tomorrow.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Marcy and LLJs, and Finnie thanks you both :wavey:

Sarah, PLEASE post some pics of Jack!! Before you upload here, rotate it. Then post here. It should be right side up.

Finn will walk down the ramp and launch himself :lol: His sister, Maggie, likes being carried in or hugged off the deck and put in the water. They super love retrieving bumpers.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ramp is *so* smart! My furbaby hates to swim.. she just don't understand the point. I think she thinks the water is cold :lol: Spoiled little brat :lol:

I will try the ramp thing when we get a swimming pool at the beach house, might be warmer there for her :lol:

Oh - and the pictures thing: It also works if you use the "crop" function. You don't actually have to crop anything off. I do that when posting from my phone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1480383885|4103256 said:
Missy, I did what you said you do, and it posted right side up!! :dance: :clap: :appl:

Woohoo! :appl:

Good luck to Sir Finnie Boy today Kristie. Sending him lots of good luck PS ***DUST*** and big bear (((HUGS))).
Love the photo. Finnie boy is soooo handsome! :love:
(oh and also HB!)

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1480404301|4103351 said:
That ramp is *so* smart! My furbaby hates to swim.. she just don't understand the point. I think she thinks the water is cold :lol: Spoiled little brat :lol:

I will try the ramp thing when we get a swimming pool at the beach house, might be warmer there for her :lol:

Oh - and the pictures thing: It also works if you use the "crop" function. You don't actually have to crop anything off. I do that when posting from my phone.

And Good luck Finn !!!

I would forget my head if it was not attached...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finn Update:

Went in at 7:30 and the Clinic was up and running full steam, including the vet, who gave Finnie a quick exam (he had a full exam including blood work prior) to auscultate his heart and lungs. All well, so off to surgery.

At 9 they called to tell us the x-ray revealed the tooth that had a part of it broken off was indeed fractured and had an abscess getting established, a halo effect around one of the roots. The tooth came out pretty easily. The body had started filling the infected root area with bone so it wasn't hard to do the initial separation of the tooth from the jaw.

The laser cleaning went well.

He will have a socket there for awhile, just like when we have our wisdom teeth out, so he'll get his food ground up in my Cuisinart until the socket is safe.

Big thanks to all of you who held Finn up today :love: :wavey: :appl: I was pretty scared for him because (1) He's 14 and (2) his hind legs are crappy and I was worried he could break a leg or rupture an ACL while groggy and trying to get up on all 4s after surgery.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad Finn is okay and it sounds like they did exactly what was needed. He is such a cutester in that little swim vest!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad he's OK! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie I am relieved to hear Finn is okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kristi, so relieved everything went well for him in surgery. How did he do today? Im sure you were so glad to have him back in your arms yesterday afternoon! I hope he managed well with his walking today, those older guys just have a tougher time with it. Hugs to Finnie from Jack for a quick recovery!

img_0204.jpeg

23637_346531706617_7562030_n.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww, thank you for my Jack fix :appl: :love: :appl:

He is one handsome boy, OMG!!! LOVE him. Great pics.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1480450203|4103505 said:
Finn Update:

Went in at 7:30 and the Clinic was up and running full steam, including the vet, who gave Finnie a quick exam (he had a full exam including blood work prior) to auscultate his heart and lungs. All well, so off to surgery.

At 9 they called to tell us the x-ray revealed the tooth that had a part of it broken off was indeed fractured and had an abscess getting established, a halo effect around one of the roots. The tooth came out pretty easily. The body had started filling the infected root area with bone so it wasn't hard to do the initial separation of the tooth from the jaw.

The laser cleaning went well.

He will have a socket there for awhile, just like when we have our wisdom teeth out, so he'll get his food ground up in my Cuisinart until the socket is safe.

Big thanks to all of you who held Finn up today :love: :wavey: :appl: I was pretty scared for him because (1) He's 14 and (2) his hind legs are crappy and I was worried he could break a leg or rupture an ACL while groggy and trying to get up on all 4s after surgery.

I'm glad to hear that Finn is doing well! =)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy Finn is doing great! :appl: I always freak out a little at every cleaning because I have a greyhound. They give her a different (i.e., more expensive :roll: :$$): ) sedative which is easier for sight hounds to tolerate.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finn gives you a paws up, momhappy :appl:

Arcadian, that is great, that you and your clinic/vet understand your breed and does what is necessary to keep him/her safe while undergoing medical care. Have you posted a pic of your sighthound???? If not, love to see her/him!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results