shape
carat
color
clarity

how deep is too deep???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Ive been looking at a bunch of diamonds recently. I think I found one I like, but Im a little leary about this. Its seems a little deep.

Please take a look at the specs.
gia report
round brilliant
7.19 X 7.24 X 4.57
1.50 carat
debth 63.3
table 56.0
girdle slightly thick to thick
cutlet none
polish very good
symmetry good
clar VS2
color H
no fluorescence

set in 2 1/4 side stones, platinum setting for 9k.

It this a good price? does it have a good cut? too Deep?

thanks for your responses!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1.gif
it is a bit deep, I would suggest staying within these parameters:

d=59-62%
t=53-60%
girdle- tn-med,med-stk
culet-none
flour.-none-faint

1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too deep. Get the crown and pav angle to know for sure.

Is this the same original vendor? Jeez...tell him to give you something that does not carry so much weight in the pavilion!!! You are paying more for less diamond 'look'.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
thank for replys.
1st diamondsman, I dont care if you were soliciting me to look at your or anyone elses web site. I just blew it off because I m not comfortable buying a diamond of the net, let alone at all.

2nd mara, how can i get the crown & pavillion angles from a gia cert???

I was at jewelers row in Philadelphia today searching through stores. after I got this offer, the next 2 jewelers told me I was getting an excellent deal?

Im looking for an ideal cut, maybe a 1b, is it possible to say this still falls within the aga rating of a 1b?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually, with a sl.thick to thick girdle, a 63.3% depth is common and not necessarily that bad... Maybe you're paying for a few points that you can't see, but not that much...
If we're talking about a superideal, try to stay below 62%... If you want a good make(not super ideal, though) try to stay below 63.8%...

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
A GIA won't give you crown and pavillion numbers.

Ask the jeweller to provide the info or you can ask him to make the final sale contingent upon an independent appraisal. The appraiser can generate these numbers and will give you some insight into the overall quality of the diamond. David Atlas (AGA) is located in Philadelphia and can appraise the diamond for you and tell you all this information. Another option would be to have it re-certified by AGS. The jeweler may go for this, but he'll ask you to pay for it since it already carries a GIA cert.

If you think it looks great, have it checked out as long as you can return for a full refund.....not a credit or exchange. Be careful on Jewelers Row, make sure you read the fine print before finalizing a sale.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't get crown and pav angles from a GIA cert..you have to ask the jeweler to run a Sarin report for you. It should cost $10 and should be not difficult at all.

This cut is within the parameters for a 2a 'international fine trade' which could still possibly be very good. 3a is where you start to get more mainstream/mallish.

Good luck!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1.gif
Thanks for letting everyone know what your thoughts are on that subject of soliciting, and I appreciate you not thinking that I was trying to solicit my site!!

Yes I am aware that you and many other people are skeptical about purchasing on the net , and I don't blame you!! you have to check and see how long they have been in business, their return policies, and most of all how comfortable you feel with them.

about the stone you were looking at, I still think that you should not go beyond d=62%

good luck!!
1.gif

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
one of the competitors was very confused about the price I got for this diamond. He told me to be care.

What do i need to be careful of?? What could I be he be hiding?/ what can I look for??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price for the stone is lower than typical retail, in fact even lower than some online etailers if you add in the side stones, setting etc. This may be an example of 'you get what you pay for'. The vendor may have been warning you to just do your research before buying. You need to get the crown and angle pavilion and if possible, a very detailed Sarin report to show the facets and girdle information.

Other than what people have already said, there is nothing more to be deduced from this stone until you get more info.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
again thanks for the advice, but I just called him. He does not have the crown and pavillion angles because it is a GIA cert. Does this sound unusually? I am going to see him tommorrow, I told him I want a sarin report, but I dont know How to interpet that! What crown angles & pavillion angles should I be look for with this diamond being
63.3 debth & 56 table??
sorry for so many questions, I just dont want to be had!

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked at http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt1.htm

This chart may help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results