shape
carat
color
clarity

How Common Are Crystals as Reflector Inclusions In VS1?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
As I was browsing some 1ct stones, almost all appear to have a crystal as an inclusion. That would be nothing unusual but in most instances, the diamond seems to function as a mirror for the crystal, often portraying VS1 as worse as the crystal is caught up in the mirror effect. How common is it for VS1 to have crystals positioned so that they function as an unfortunate reflector inclusion?
Lastly, is there a place for a crystal where this reflection would not occur?
How does one feel about this reflector inclusions?
I am including two examples for BGD and the mirroring is mostly apparent in his "office" lighting. Since the stone only rocks from top to bottom, one can see only a few mirrored reflections of the crystal but I am sure they would multiply if a full 360 view of the stone were available.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know the answers to the questions but I would love to know. I can only assume that the crystal placement does indeed matter but when the diamonds are being graded by the labs, the crystal just counts as one crystal toward the grade of VS1. Seems to be an imbalance between grading and reality but of course it is perfectly understandable given that diamonds aren’t graded while moving and it is, after all, just one crystal.
Hopefully some of the knowledgeable vendors will shed some light on your questions!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know the answers to the questions but I would love to know. I can only assume that the crystal placement does indeed matter but when the diamonds are being graded by the labs, the crystal just counts as one crystal toward the grade of VS1. Seems to be an imbalance between grading and reality but of course it is perfectly understandable given that diamonds aren’t graded while moving and it is, after all, just one crystal.
Hopefully some of the knowledgeable vendors will shed some light on your questions!

I was thinking the same. One small crystal = VS1. Except, when the stone starts to mirror the crystal and you end up with "16" crystals and the diamond looks like it has chicken pox. :oops2:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would be under the assumption that if the inclusion is small enough to not be seen with the naked eye, then neither will its reflections.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be under the assumption that if the inclusion is small enough to not be seen with the naked eye, then neither will its reflections.

Would be true for most folks but PSers will turn and twirl that diamond until they can see everything! Lol! Eye clean has nothing on mind clean!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Would be true for most folks but PSers will turn and twirl that diamond until they can see everything! Lol! Eye clean has nothing on mind clean!

That's true! :lol-2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not actually my grading question! Great question though!

I’ve always assumed the same as @MissGotRocks - that since inclusions are mapped, an inclusion that reflects has no impact on clarity grade. But I do know clarity grading is a bit of a mystical thing - watching this thread and looking forward to learning more!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not actually my grading question! Great question though!
Sorry about that.. I will plead lack of Pepsi.
I cut my Pepsi drinking per day in half and I think 3/4 of my brain is on strike.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are 5 factors that determine the effect on clarity when grading. They are size, number, location (position), relief, and nature. Viewed at 10X, and considered in relation to the size of the diamond.

Number: "the more inclusions or reflections of inclusions that are visible face-up at 10X, the greater the effect on the clarity grade."

Part in quotes is from the GIA Diamond Grading lab manual.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooops....got distracted for a bit, so I couldn't edit. I just wanted to add that I don't know how common it is that they reflect.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
not always reflections can appear much larger.

Can't understand how this would happen unless the reflector surface had any curvature to it, IE a concave plane.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can't understand how this would happen unless the reflector surface had any curvature to it, IE a concave plane.

Angled reflectors elongate.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Angled reflectors elongate.

It is true, they can be three times as big as the original crystal - I saw one and when it was mirrored, it almost had a look of a small black hole in the diamond. I wonder if the more precise the cut, the more precise the reflections (bigger with more reflector inclusions.)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

reflection of an inclusion is view of the inclusion from different direction. same inclusion could have very different sizes from different directions. for example a cutter try shows a crack under table from as very thin line, when in pavilion facets reflections you will see the crack as wide crack

catcav

Rough_Rock
I’ve been wondering about mirroring of inclusions too.What is the “effervescent” quality I see in my stone in it’s sparkle video and when I look up close through the side in good light. Would this be reflections of the cloud or the crystal? Mind clean ‍♀️ I never expected the power it could hold.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
reflection of an inclusion is view of the inclusion from different direction. same inclusion could have very different sizes from different directions. for example a cutter try shows a crack under table from as very thin line, when in pavilion facets reflections you will see the crack as wide crack

That is what I observed as well. I can only postulate that the placement of a crystal would be around edged for the reflection not to occur as frequently. :doh:

@Serg , since someone tagged you, would you be able to answer how common is it for VS1 to have crystals positioned so that they function as an unfortunate reflector inclusion?

catcav

Rough_Rock
I’ve been wondering about mirroring of inclusions too.What is the “effervescent” quality I see in my stone in it’s sparkle video and when I look up close through the side in good light. Would this be reflections of the cloud or the crystal? Mind clean ‍♀️ I never expected the power it could hold.

My WF rep followed up with me after receiving my ring. I asked her to explain the inclusion I’m seeing but I haven’t heard back.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sure thanks Serg, I meant specifically regarding round pinpoint crystals that were highlighted by the OP, which should look very similar from all angles.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

"Additional clouds not shown"...probably speckles throughout, but so individually minor/small that they are deemed to have no impact on transparency and light performance.

catcav

Rough_Rock
Ahh.., Thank you! I did ask about what that comment meant but it was not explained it could speckle through out. My newbie status to the diamond world shows. Does it have an impact to value? Or clarity rating? Is it usual that a VS2 would Have an inclusion like it?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh.., Thank you! I did ask about what that comment meant but it was not explained it could speckle through out. My newbie status to the diamond world shows. Does it have an impact to value? Or clarity rating? Is it usual that a VS2 would Have an inclusion like it?

I would appreciate if we stick to the original topic of this thread. Feel free to create a new thread but let's just stay on the topic here.

catcav

Rough_Rock
Sure. I already moved it to another thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results